Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What software for photo editing is there for Amiga today?  (Read 549 times)

Description:

Offline TronmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tronman
What software for photo editing is there for Amiga today?
« on: February 07, 2024, 09:43:05 AM »
OK, I know this isn't strictly video, but still images; there didn't seem to be a more specific place than desktop audio and video, so here goes..

I'm a photographer and I shoot with Fujifilm X system gear.  I run Linux but am becoming disenchanted with it, and with the opensource software, Darktable, that I use to edit my photos.

So, since I still miss my Amiga after all these years, I'm wondering if there is any modern day software that can edit Fujifilm RAF (raw image files) from X-Trans sensor cameras?  Video capability would be a nice bonus, but I'm primarily a stills shooter. Back in the '90s I used ImageFX quite a bit.  I've even still got my boxed CD copy that I bought at Amigan St. Louis, I think it was in 1998.

So I'd need to be able to edit the photos, and I'm wondering what there is available for digital asset management, as in tagging and cataloging all those photos-several hundred thousand of them.

I'm not expecting this to become my daily driver next week, but if opensource won't work out, I'd rather give an Amiga developer my money than to Adobe and Microsoft.  Or especially not Apple, they already have $200,000,000,000 behind them via the untaxed hedge fund by which they're wholly owned.

I miss working on my Amiga.  The ease of use, the icon tooltypes, being actually able to get my head around the OS and fixing it myself when there was a problem.

Offline utri007

Re: What software for photo editing is there for Amiga today?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 01:07:57 PM »
ImageFX is still sort of development and available.

https://amigakit.amiga.store/image-studio-os3cd-p-12691.html?

And then there is RNO Effect

https://aminet.net/package/gfx/edit/RNOEffects_68k
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline rxxic

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 03:30:57 PM »
I sometimes use ArtEffect 4.0 (68k) or the newer SketchBlock (ppc native).

For cataloging fotos there is AmiPhoto (ppc) from Alinea, maybe they are interested in developing it further.

And PictureManager 5.5 (68k) if you find a copy somewhere.

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 10:55:31 AM »
If an Amiga compatible operating system (MorphOS on, for example, a compatible PPC Mac) could be an option, there's a marvellous image processing program included in the OS. ShowCase is the best program you can find for digital photo handling on Amiga compatibles, I've been using it for years for my photo processing.

It has good selectable resizing algorithms, horizon can be straightened in photos, it has sharpening, noise reduction, etc. image processing options, lossless JPEG transformations, automatic rotation of digital camera images, thumbnail creator, batch processing, internal album manager with Picasa exporting (not sure if it still works though, did Google drop Picasa?), and many other features aimed for digital photo/camera processing.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:41 AM »
Photogenics but it doesn't look like it is available any more.  A few years back it was still possible to buy it... can't remember when I got my copy, definitely after my OS4 machine.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline TronmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tronman
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 05:16:47 AM »
I forgot about Photogenics!!  Man, I might still have the floppy disc demo from the '90s Amiga mag, I think it was version 4.

Every Sunday, my girlfriend/later wife and I would drive to Barnes and Noble to buy the latest Amiga Format, Amiga Power, etc. magazines.  I think I still have the AF Demo CDs from back in the day.  I know I have the 2x NEC SCSI CDROM drive on which I used to play them-as well as a number of the caddies it took.