Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Decided to join the EFIKA crowd today!  (Read 2289 times)

Description:

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
Re: Decided to join the EFIKA crowd today!
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 08, 2008, 06:11:40 PM »
I'm jealous AmigaDave!  I'd like to get one too... but, no money! :( Maybe next year!™
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »

amigadave wrote:
Edit: I agree that MOS2.x is expensive and not worth the money when compared to other OSes, but I look at it differently because I choose to support the development team for the future.  I don't hold it against any that don't feel the same way, but will always try to encourage them to change their minds.  :-D

I agree, and trust me, I will squeeze every penny and see if I can afford it.  I have a family to support, so I have a very limited "amiga budget".

But, I still think the price is unfortunate and may prevent curious users from trying it. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »

skurk wrote:

amigadave wrote:
Edit: I agree that MOS2.x is expensive and not worth the money when compared to other OSes, but I look at it differently because I choose to support the development team for the future.  I don't hold it against any that don't feel the same way, but will always try to encourage them to change their minds.  :-D

I agree, and trust me, I will squeeze every penny and see if I can afford it.  I have a family to support, so I have a very limited "amiga budget".

But, I still think the price is unfortunate and may prevent curious users from trying it. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Well, thinking of all the curious users is why the MOS2.x team released a time crippled version.  It give them enough time to evaluate if they want to keep and use MOS2.x.

I also have a family to support with a Son wanting to go to medical school in a few years. YIKES!!!  I need a second career that pays a six figure income on top of my retirement.

pan1k wrote:

I'm jealous AmigaDave! I'd like to get one too... but, no money! :( Maybe next year!

That is okay Chris, I didn't really have the money either, but what the heck, it's only money, right?

I will let you play with mine (I mean my EFIKA, that needed to be clear :lol: ) on the way to and from AmiWest 2008 in a few weeks. :-D  
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 12:28:17 AM »
EFIKA owners, do you think this would fit in place of the IDE hdd on the EFIKA without any cable required?  A CF card used as the primary storage and boot device should be much cooler and quieter than a medium to large capacity 2.5" hdd.

I had read that it was not recommended to use any slave IDE device, due to cable restrictions on the EFIKA's IDE controller.

If the above dual slot CF to IDE adapter would fit on the pins of the IDE controller without any cable needed, I think it should work.  What do the rest of you EFIKA owners think?

Is a Thumb drive required to load the OS to the hdd/CF card?  Can't I install the MorphOS iso via a network connection and then disconnect the EFIKA and reboot it straight into MOS2.1?

What about installing it to a CF card in an x86 PC card reader? (probably not, I think)

Lastly, I would like to have a CDRW, or DVDRW+ on my EFIKA, but to be practical, as long as I can connect the EFIKA to my home network and see and use all the devices on other computers on the network, I don't really need a CD or DVD reader/writer physically in or attached via USB to the EFIKA.  How essential is having a CD, or DVD connected to an EFIKA?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »
ok, its probably a problematic issue with my system but i will give it one final try as far as updating to 2.1 cause i really want to see the improvements.

i will down load the primary .iso and .img to see if that makes a difference my steps are as followed

1. files freshy dl to HD into efika
2. turned it on esc. boot hd:0 MorphOS-2.1-efikainstall.img
3. boot into iwizard startup screen
4. began install on iwiz
5. next all the way to prompt on morph20.iso file
6. selected 2.0 bootable sfs dh0: partition
7. Hope the install doesn't stop at 4459 files again!!!

A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 01:20:48 AM »
Hi Dave, the dual CF converter _might_ be problematic not sure, if the single sided one is 100% transparent to the IDE interface it should be ok, but I have my doubts about the dual. It may work fine and if its cheap might be worth checking out. EFIKA is odd at best of times ;)
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:17 AM »
I had trouble with my single IDE->CF adapter.  Not sure if it's something with the adapter, the card, or if it's something fixed in the 2.1 update.  (Card with adapter works fine in my A1200 so...)

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37345

Note that one of the posters mention problems with the dual card interface.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(