Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!  (Read 6319 times)

Description:

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
Re: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 28, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
I didn't take the time to read the entire thread of what exactly is making the system slow, but here are my two cents.

My friend has a intel pentium 4 3.2ghz cpu that I believe was either socket LGA774 or 775, i forget since im not a big intel fan.  ;-)

But put it this way.... It crawled like crazy, loading applications took forever, and even at times, it just froze out of nowhere.  Now, my other Shuttle PC which has an older socket pentium 4 @ 2.4ghz, and that Shuttle is many times faster in 3d games, running applications, etc...

Turned out that the Motherboard is flaky.....  The SATA controller is what made the entire system crawl.  Even if you attempt to install a fresh copy of XP, no go.

I would have to go with getting a different board  :-D

just get a cheap one from newegg.com or even ebay.  Heck, I run a Biostar Socket AM2 cpu motherboard and this thing is hauling @$$. :-D

And yes, i do run Windows XP PRO.  :-)

-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:32 PM »
@kd7ota,

replacing the mobo is not an option as this is my business system and just had the mobo replaced under warranty about two months ago.  The warranty is for another 3 years and I don't think another brand mobo would fit as cleanly inside this XPS tower case, the design is actually very well thought out IMHO.  I hesitated buying my Dell but it was too tempting with the employee discount offered plus another percentage off due to it being on sale to the public at the time I bought.  Also Apple had not switch to Intel inside yet, or I would have probably waited until I could afford a Mac desktop or tower.

@gdanko,

You are right, I never should have let myself get sucked into becoming dependent on any Windows only programs.  But you must admit that it is an easy thing to do when almost all the best programmers, and applications are written for Windows first and so many are never ported to other OSes.  I did begin using an Amiga CAD program called Cycas, before the bankruptcy I think.  But then later switched to a Windows program and once you spend years learning and becoming good at using one CAD program, you don't want to spend the months of time learning another.  I have looked for CAD programs for the Mac and did not like them, or their price either.  I don't know, but I don't think there is a Linux CAD program that is as good as the one I use and for the price my program (TurboCAD) can't be beat, unless there is something that is free.

After being forced into early retirement due to health problems, and until I can get my own business to become profitable, I don't have the money right now to replace the other programs that have cost me hundreds of dollars, if not thousands and I have not taken the time to become comfortable with Linux to explore all that it has to offer in the way of free, or low cost programs, but doubt it has the equivalent financial programs that I would feel secure with and that would have the same feature set.

So, yes, I am stuck for now and will continue to use Windows for certain business critical tasks while I wait for an opportunity to switch to a Mac, Linux, or Amiga  :lol:  solution.

For now I will just have to minimize the pain and trouble of using windows like most of the rest of the population in the world.  :boohoo:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »

amigadave wrote:
@kd7ota,

replacing the mobo is not an option as this is my business system and just had the mobo replaced under warranty about two months ago.  The warranty is for another 3 years and I don't think another brand mobo would fit as cleanly inside this XPS tower case, the design is actually very well thought out IMHO.

I believe the XPS desktops, at least the 400/410 and 700/710/720, use a customized version of the Intel BTX motherboard standard.  There are few, if any, BTX motherboards for sale.  There are probably none that work in a Dell case.  I actually tried looking this up for a pal a few months ago.  Most of the "ATX" power supplies also list BTX compatibility as well, so that part isn't too bad.  

So for those suggesting you replace the motherboard, as you know, that's not really an option.

My wife has a XPS410.  It's nicely laid out, runs cool, and is QUIET.  Nice and quiet.  I really like it.  It runs Vista and decently well enough, I guess.  I know I don't have to use it.  ;)

If you want to run OS X on your PC, I believe there are a few resources who have had success doing just that:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/
etc.

You can probably google for more info.  I've not bothered dorkin' around with that stuff as I have a spare Mac to play with.

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2007, 12:17:42 AM »
@BlackMonk,

My Dell is an XPS 700 tower (the biggest monster of a tower I have seen since purchasing a ToasterOven that sits 5 feet to the left) not a desktop and I would not think of replacing the MoBo with anything except the original, until perhaps a few years past its warranty and as a fun project, not to run my businesses.  It has a multiple speed fan that can be very loud at full speed, but normally is almost unheard by me.

I have looked at OSX86 project, but it is not refined enough for me to make that leap of faith yet on a business critical computer.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2007, 07:12:10 PM »

BlackMonk wrote:
I believe the XPS desktops, at least the 400/410 and 700/710/720, use a customized version of the Intel BTX motherboard standard.

amigadave wrote:
@BlackMonk,

My Dell is an XPS 700 tower ... not a desktop...

Yeah, my bad.  I used the wrong term.  I think the 700 series is only available as a tower and the 400 series might be as well.  It's been so long since I've seen a "desktop" form factor for sale that I keep forgetting that it exists.

I meant desktop versus laptop and just used the complete wrong term.  Doh!

As for OS X on x86, yeah, I wouldn't do that on a business-use machine, either, heheh.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:36 PM »

stopthegop wrote:
@Loadwb

You kind of lost me there too.  You said a lot but didn't really say anything?  :/

I'm quite sure he is working at a call centre, or on a helpdesk. I do. :-)

I'm an L2 for a support handling home-users only. Sometimes the customers are actually so incompetent it hurts.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.