Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!  (Read 6306 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!
« on: October 19, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »
I am about to give up on fixing my Windows XP Pro computer that should be a screaming demon with its Core2Duo CPU, 2GB RAM, 512mb GPU memory and fast 7200rpm HD, but instead, it is the slowest Windows PC I think I have ever owned or used.

I guess it is time to wipe the HD and do a complete re-install, which I hate to do, as I am not the best person at keeping track of all the programs I have installed, with their registration numbers and the exact configurations I have setup that I will want to duplicate again on the clean install of XP Pro.

I so wish I could get by without any Microsoft OS and programs that only run on it and are not available for any other OS.

I don't want to pull out my hair that is already starting to thin out these days.

Any suggestions from all you smart people out there, that I might try before starting over?  I have tried two different, well known virus programs, I use a firewall and up to date virus protection, and I have even tried to fix the problem with a registry cleaner.

It takes several minutes after a cold boot for the computer to respond to any mouse clicks.  I guess I am spoiled by being used to the 11 second boot of my Amiga.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline STRICQ

• Show only replies by STRICQ
    • http://www.stricq.com
Re: XP Pro .......S...L...O...W...!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 06:08:12 AM »
Have you tried XP x64?  I have both on my CoreDuo machine, and I believe the x64 is blazingly faster than XP x86.  Just my two cents!

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 06:17:17 AM »
not that I care but what does this have to do with the amiga?  It's my experience that by the time you install all the virus protections and such your computer will be boged down.  Anything with "norton" in the name is worse than a virus anyway.

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:27:17 AM »
Have you tried XP x64? I have both on my CoreDuo machine, and I believe the x64 is blazingly faster than XP x86.

Thats like saying a canoe is faster than a raft.  
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:27:42 AM »
Your PC can be very slow when the DMA is disabled. Look here for solution:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:33:53 AM »
guru-666 wrote:
not that I care but what does this have to do with the amiga?

What do you expect to find in the Alternative OS forum?

@amigadave
Unfortunately slowdowns are inevitable over time with XP, unless you don't install anything! There's not a huge amount you can do, but here are some steps you can take:

1. Uninstall any unneeded apps, especially eye candy like Windowblinds et al.
2. Choose an efficient anti-virus solution - i.e. NOT Norton
3. Use several different Spyware removal packages, as individually they won't detect everything
4. Use MSConfig to turn off anything which is starting at boot which you don't need (be careful though)
5. Check Services in Control Panel and turn off anything you don't need (again, be careful)
6. Defrag - some say it won't make any difference, and maybe they are correct for minimally fragmented drives, but in my experience the difference between a defragmented drive and a heavily fragmented one is significant

Short of this, it's a reinstall. I would urge you however to consider the Mac. OS X doesn't, in my experience, suffer any of the gradual reduction in speed. It always seems snappy no matter what you install. I have had 6 Macs in the past 3 years and have never reinstalled OS X.

On modern Intel Macs you can run Windows, be it through Parallels or Boot Camp, and it runs very well. So if you have a few apps for which you cannot find Mac equivalents, you can still run the Windows versions.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline ACK_h8r

• Show only replies by ACK_h8r
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
@guru-666

Nonsense. No one needs anti-virus/spyware software running all of the time checking every single file what gets accessed, this singly is the cause of many peoples "my machine takes a while starting up" and lets not even mention the amount of un-needed program running at start up.

As saying that i am glad people use so much crap that their machine runs slow, i make more money unticking a few "dont start with windows boxes" than anything else computer related and people are well happy thinking i have made their machine faster :o).

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »
amigadave wrote:

I use a firewall and up to date virus protection

That might be the problem. I have always found antivirus programs (especially McAfee and Norton) to be enormous lagging b*tches. The only protection I have on my current pc is the standard XP firewall, and no antivirus, and it has a quite reasonable speed (XP 2000+ with 256MB and WinXP/SP2).

My opinion is that when you only open trusted (and then I mean REALLY) trusted files, there's not much to be scared of. The only extra protection that I have is a monthly run of my spyware-eraser.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »
Install the correct drivers for the motherboard and graphics card. Dont necessarily use the Windblows ones.

Switch off AVI parsing and thumbnail generation (registry hack) if you have a lot of those files on your drive.

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
Some Intel processors have support for Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST).
Ón my brother in law's PC , when this feature is disabled
in the BIOS settings, it makes the system REALLY CRAWL.
When enabled all is well. You might want to check your BIOS
to see if EIST is disabled, and if so set it to enabled.

Regards,
Lloyd

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »
Nonsense. No one needs anti-virus/spyware software running all of the time checking every single file what gets accessed, this singly is the cause of many peoples "my machine takes a while starting up" and lets not even mention the amount of un-needed program running at start up.

I agree. I don't use anti-virus and don't have any problems. I don't know why so many people insist on running security software which slows down the computer.

Offline utri007

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
1. Run defragmenter
2. Install CCleaner and use it to delete all temp files, remove automated startups of useless programs and fix your registry
3. Install JV16 powertools and fix your registry again
4. get f-Secure antivirus for workstations
5. get adsl modem that can do NAT and after that you dont need firewall in you computer IF you are used to use your brains when you surf in internet ;) I don't know are you left or right handed

6. DO NOT install useless software just to see what it is
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »

motorollin wrote:
2. Choose an efficient anti-virus solution - i.e. NOT Norton

Agreed.  I was having performance problems with my laptop until I removed McAfee Security Suite and replaced it with the free Virus Checker "AVG".  The speed increase was amazing.  I don't know what McAfee was doing in the background, but it was cripling my machine.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Heinz

• Show only replies by Heinz
    • http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »

amigadave wrote:
I am about to give up on fixing my Windows XP Pro computer that should be a screaming demon with its Core2Duo CPU, 2GB RAM, 512mb GPU memory and fast 7200rpm HD, but instead, it is the slowest Windows PC I think I have ever owned or used.

I guess it is time to wipe the HD and do a complete re-install, which I hate to do, as I am not the best person at keeping track of all the programs I have installed, with their registration numbers and the exact configurations I have setup that I will want to duplicate again on the clean install of XP Pro.

I so wish I could get by without any Microsoft OS and programs that only run on it and are not available for any other OS.

I don't want to pull out my hair that is already starting to thin out these days.

Any suggestions from all you smart people out there, that I might try before starting over?  I have tried two different, well known virus programs, I use a firewall and up to date virus protection, and I have even tried to fix the problem with a registry cleaner.

It takes several minutes after a cold boot for the computer to respond to any mouse clicks.  I guess I am spoiled by being used to the 11 second boot of my Amiga.

Use RegCleaner to remove Programs from the Startup List. I am sure you have a lot of useless crap in there.

Use AntiVir
It has kept my PC clean for years now and the Personal Edition is free.

Look in your systems setting for virtual Memory. Increase the Filesize. That may make your PC faster.

Offline kevh100

• Show only replies by kevh100
    • http://www.kphonline.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
I use Sysinternals PageDefrag to ensure that my system files and page file are all in one contiguous lump. These files never usually get defragmented as they are always in use by the OS.

JKDefrag is a great free defragger that works better than the standard defrag utility.

Kev