Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GPS Navigation options  (Read 1229 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
GPS Navigation options
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »
I have been cruisin the web for a couple days looking for different options for GPS Navagation to use in my new car.  I was not able to get the "MyGig" radio/navigation unit in my new Dodge Nitro SUV because there has been a problem with availability for many months.  Now I am looking at different options because I am very happy with the 6 disc DVD radio w/U-Connect blue-tooth cell phone option that I currently have.  

So, I have come here where I can always find many intelligent minds to share my thoughts with and ask for advice.

My Titanium PowerBook just recently died (again), this time with smoke coming from it.  My wife luckily found it before it burst into flames.  So my current thoughts are that I will purchase a new black MacBook 13" wide screen, Core2Duo to replace it and that it would be nice to have a small handheld GPS device which I can use while hiking, or cycling and connect to the laptop and use as the GPS receiver for the best computer navigation software I can find.

The Nitro's front passenger seat folds flat and locks in that position with a depression in the seat back to hold a laptop in place, so it will not slide around when cornering.

So my questions are two; 1, what small handheld GPS device do you suggest?  It does not need to have street mapping software that is too sophisticated, as it will be used for hiking, mountain biking and while riding my Sea Doo on lakes and rivers.  The thing it must have, is a way to connect to the laptop to provide the GPS information for the laptop navigation software.  Question 2 is what laptop navigation software is best.  It must have voice prompts, turn by turn, distance to destination, re-routing if turns are missed, etc., just like the best built-in navigation units have.  If it has voice input, that would even better.

Not exactly Amiga related, but that is why I put this in the alternative OS forum.

Thanks for any suggestions and info.   :-D
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: GPS Navigation options
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:11:11 AM »
I'm just wondering where/how you would safely mount a laptop on the front dash..
-edit-
You're right, should've read more closely =).

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »

odin wrote:
I'm just wondering where/how you would safely mount a laptop on the front dash..

If you read my post more carefully, you would see that I have no intention to mount any laptop on my dash.  If I need to read or look at the screen, I will wait until I am stopped at a traffic light, stop sign or I will pull over to the side of the road.  That is why I require the navigation software to have voice commands telling me where to turn and how far off my destination is.

Thanks for looking though.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:53:52 AM »
Bump

Looking at my future Black 13.3" widescreen MacBook on the MacMall.com website I see their options to add Boot Camp or Parallels with Windows Vista Home, Business, or Premium, or the same two (Boot Camp v1.1, or Parallels) and Windows XP Home, or Professional.

I use XP Professional on my monster Dell desktop, but the wife has Vista Home edition on her and the daughter's new Gateway desktop that I picked up at Costco to keep them off my Dell.

I have not looked at Vista much yet, but have read that it is not getting much support and many users are staying with XP instead of upgrading.

What do any of you think of my choices?  Should I stay with XP Pro as my secondary OS (okay third choice OS after AmigaOS) on the MacBook, or should I get Vista Premium edition?  The cost difference is not too much.

Also, should I get Parallels or Boot Camp?  What is the difference between Boot Camp v1.1, or v1.2?

Thanks again for any and all advice.  Amiga.org is the greatest site for info on the web.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »
Bump,

Where are all the expert Mac users in Amigaland these days?

amigadave wrote:
Bump

Looking at my future Black 13.3" widescreen MacBook on the MacMall.com website I see their options to add Boot Camp or Parallels with Windows Vista Home, Business, or Premium, or the same two (Boot Camp v1.1, or Parallels) and Windows XP Home, or Professional.

I use XP Professional on my monster Dell desktop, but the wife has Vista Home edition on her and the daughter's new Gateway desktop that I picked up at Costco to keep them off my Dell.

I have not looked at Vista much yet, but have read that it is not getting much support and many users are staying with XP instead of upgrading.

What do any of you think of my choices?  Should I stay with XP Pro as my secondary OS (okay third choice OS after AmigaOS) on the MacBook, or should I get Vista Premium edition?  The cost difference is not too much.

Also, should I get Parallels or Boot Camp?  What is the difference between Boot Camp v1.1, or v1.2?

Thanks again for any and all advice.  Amiga.org is the greatest site for info on the web.

• Lifetime Member
Drop in MacBook prices at MacMall due to new models
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:59 PM »
Well, since Apple bumped up the speed and storage capacity of the MacBooks today, I decided to jump at a chance to get a 2.0gHz Black MacBook, but MacMall had already run out of the 2GB RAM models, so I had to settle for the 1GB of RAM and will upgrade it later when I see the need and hopefully RAM will be cheaper then too.

I will soon have the first piece of my unconventional auto navigation system.  Now if I could only find a handheld GPS to use as my GPS receiver for a laptop, voice prompt navigation software, I will be all set.