Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?  (Read 19083 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: Is Amiga Emulation better than the real thing?
« on: April 23, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
Absolutely yes, who needs old hardware?  Emulation is fast, simple and doesn't take more space on your desk and you can have as many Amigas as your memory allows!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Or who you rather make love to Zsa Zsa Gábor or an 18 year old who looks like Zsa Zsa Gábor did when she was 18...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Amiga graphics are very simple compared with 21st Century graphics.  We're all used to staring at much higher resolution with a lot of refinement.  To the collector or history buff that refinement isn't the same.  It's like using a bus to look like an old trolley car, the suspension is too smooth, the windows too air tight, the ride too quiet.  It's too modern comfortable.  That's why the computer collectors/historians  complain about emulation, it's just too refined to be real.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
I have an uncle with an extensive classical record collection, I've digitised part of his library, in the process cleaning up the sound - eliminating all the record noises etc.  He still prefers to listen to the record.  The digital music is "too clean."  

I think emulation can be that way, emulation is too clean, too pure for the retro feel.  My MacPro is rock solid, it can run rings around an Amiga, but some might find E-UAE running on it too pure, it isn't the 80's feel.

Me I just want to reminisce about old games I used to play, but it's not the old push your equipment to the limit feel, E-UAE almost makes the Amiga look too easy.  The E-UAE process barely shows up on my system usage while running faster than any Amiga ever made.

In a way the Amiga experience was about doing a lot with a little.  Pushing technology almost to the breaking point.  I don't do that with m MacPro, video, high resolution images, 3D rendering, nothing even gets the machine "warm."  In some ways it's like cheating compared to the Amiga.  

Retro has it's appeal, I was once an amateur radio operator, I used to make contacts with people using 5 watts and an antenna thrown over a tree branch.  The morse code was barely distinguishable over the noise.  Now I use Skype and talk with people half a world away by clicking a button.  It's better but it's not the same.  India, the US, somewhere else in Oz, it's all the same.  There's no thrill in it.  This is why there will always be classic equipment lovers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]