Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Does one Install (to/from) USB  (Read 3819 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Franko;600081
Reckon it just goes to show how many folk actually use AROS here or have an interest in it... :)

Or how many of them have ever installed to USB ;)

When I run AROS, I tend to run it hosted on linux. Makes for a more productive environment.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600087
That's one of the the things I don't get about this thread, XDelusion has been looking for some answers in regard to his USB  question with only one real reply.

Now I don't know much about AROS, but if it's really so good then why don't all those who sing the praises of AROS answer him...

Heck, my good old miggies running OS3.x can use USB no problem, my advice dump the AROS and stick to OS3.x... :)

Don't be a numpty :lol: He isn't asking how to use USB, he's asking how to make a  AROS installation on a USB disk. It's a bit more involved than just writing files to it.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600091
Still seems like AROS is cobblers to me, if no-one can give the guy a straight forward answer... :)

Goad, much? Tell you what, I want to make a bootable USB pen drive image of OS3.9 that can boot on any A1200 with a standard 3.1 kickstart / subway USB but without an OS installed on the hard drive yet. How should I proceed?

See post #5

Making bootable USB pen drives can be a pain for almost any OS.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:30:41 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600095
Well I wouldn't want to even attempt to boot from a pen drive it would be way too slow compared to an HD, as for how it's done, don't ask me as I doubt it could be anyway... :)

Well, it seems to be that OS3.x must be a load of cobblers then, ask a straightforward question and can't get a sensible answer...

:p

thing is why would you want to boot from a USB storage device in the first place, as I say It's way slower than an HD... :confused:

I'm sorry, did you not read the guy's question? Speed don't come into it my lad!

He doesn't want to use the pen drive as a substitute HD, he wants to use a bootable pen drive to boot the system and then install the OS from the pen drive to the HD. You know, like you might do with a bootable CD? Only he is using a distro too big to fit onto a CD and the machine doesn't have a DVD drive.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
Quote from: Franko;600099
You didn't expect a sensible answer from me did you... :)

No, but I didn't expect a smart erse remark about AROS being cobblers purely on the basis that so far only one person has tried to help him. After all, your answer was hardly helpful was it?

So why do you smartie pants AROS buffs not give him an answer then... :p

Perhaps because, like myself, most people using it aren't faced with his particular dilemma and therefore simply don't know. Not really a reflection on the OS itself.

What I do know is that bootable pen drives sometimes involve all kinds of voodoo.
int p; // A