Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Does one Install (to/from) USB  (Read 3827 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:53 AM »
I heard you can install AROS to a USB stick, I also hear you can install from one? Well when I use the USB device then try to install it always asks for DH0, this of course is after I format my USB stick to FAT, then tell the AROS installer to install on free space only and let it reboot... Yet when I install it to my Hard Drive, it installs fine.

So how does one install to USB, or better yet, how do I install from USB, as the computer I'd like to install onto does not have a DVD-ROM but a CD-ROM, and I'd like to install the Larger Icaros Distro.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:08:04 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
Re: How Does one Install (to/from) USB
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:45:38 AM »
Aghh ha, so it's a mystery even unto AROS users! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Geez people, you're all going to make me trouble shoot this my self aren't you? :)

I got past the initial problems I was having, using this guide:

http://www.icarosdesktop.com/icarosfiles/addendum-pendrive122.pdf

What I did was boot the IcarOS live CD on my main PC. I then followed the guide EXACTLY having of course first formatted my USB drive as FAT, making it primary, and setting it to active.

Anyhow, during the installation, my system began to spit out I/O errors, and I'm not sure if it was referring to my external USB DVD-ROM or my USB Pen Drive, but it seemed to be talking about the Pen Drive.
I tried hitting cancel, skip, retry, etc. but went through and endless onslaught of related error messages.

I then had to turn off my machine and format my PenDrive with partitioning software in Windows as Windows was unable to format it any longer.

I then rebooted IcarOS, but only to find that when I try to prepare my PenDrive for installation, that I get a new error stating that AROS is unable to prepare the partition or what have you. (Sorry I forgot to write down the exact error).

Now if I go into the AROS's hard drive prep tool and reformat the drive in there then try to install AROS, I begin to get those I/O errors again.

Also no matter what I do, I can no longer format my Pen Drive under Windows on ANY of my machines.

The LEXAR JUMPDRIVE USB FORMAT TOOL just bombs out and does not complete it's chore. As does the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

I've ran drive tests on the PenDrive and it returns zero errors. Also I have a miniSD which I tried to install IcarOS on, and as fate would have it, I went through the same exact motions and am at the same place with it as well now.

Is this common, are the AROS Hard Drive tools corrupt, is there a way to restore my Pen Drives to factory default so Windows can format them again, and AROS maybe install on them without I/O errors?

P.S. I get the same results using VmWARE.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:40:45 PM by XDelusion »

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
...and I can still hear wind blowing the forums...

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
paolone: I made my posts over a course of time. I began with one guide which suggested I could make two partitions, one for AROS and one FAT to transfer files from one system to the other.

Initially that was what I was trying to do, then I found your guide and said screw it and just formatted the whole thing to FAT so AROS would see and detect it. I was NOT trying to install AROS onto FAT. I just want AROS to format the thing via the installer, but now that my drives are corrupt beyond repair, I can no longer do this, but I am going to order a DVD-ROM for the computer I intended to install it on. In this way I can be sure that no more of my drives get destroyed.

As for DISKPART, I use MicroXP, so DISKPART (along with a slew of other things) are not part of this distro, but believe me, it compensates with speed!
It is for this reason that I used a Hard Drive tool, and I set the USB drive to active, just as a safety precaution as I know some things such as my Nintendo WII will not see the hard drive unless it is set to active, that's why I chose that step...

...but anyhow, my drives are now useless as boot devices, so I'm going to send them back to Sandisk and never attempt this again. I'd rather just invest in an extra DVD-ROM as suggested above, besides, who wants an AROS machine without a DVD-ROM? :)

P.S. It did take FOREVER to get a response here, while I do thank you in particular for responding, I do have to say that this does look bad for the AROS scene and does make it look like there are hardly any users.