Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5  (Read 51654 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: 73 available systems for MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #104 from previous page: September 11, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747638
I didn't buy an iBook hoping that some day it will be compatible. I bought an iBook because THEY said it is compatible. It has nothing to do with virtue, it is about being responsible.

You bought a machine for peanuts and have been given a free demo to test if your hardware is compatible. You discover it isn't, you report it, the team acknowledge the bug with your specific hardware and promise to fix it and release a bug fixed version when it's done.

I fail to see the drama here.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747645
You bought a machine for peanuts and have been given a free demo to test if your hardware is compatible. You discover it isn't, you report it, the team acknowledge the bug with your specific hardware and promise to fix it and release a bug fixed version when it's done.

I fail to see the drama here.

The price I paid is irrelevant. I wasn't given a 'free demo to test if my hardware is compatible' because they had already confirmed that it was compatible when they said that all iBook G4s are compatible. I was given a free demo to see if I like MorphOS in which case I would have bought it.

Offline Everblue

« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
Quote from: pVC;747644
It is unfortunate situation and in no way intented, but they said it'll be fixed reasonably quickly with the upcoming bug fix release. They know their responsibilities and do the best...

They fixed it pretty much immediately, not sure if they will release the fix any quickly though, unless you can quote them on that?

Offline pVC

« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747643
Well, you might be willing to wait several years for a useful productivity suite for MOS, but most people who work for a living can't wait that long.  Yes, it's been 5 years and I'm still waiting.  It would be nice if there was a spreadsheet program for MOS or OS4 or something for presentations, but I'm certain it will be another 5 years and you guys will still be waiting.  How long would you suggest MOS and OS4 users continue to wait?  5 years, 10 years, etc...

As I said, I have everything I need currently. I'm not waiting those office suites. Many others won't do their real work on their home/hobby systems either. There are some new solutions too, like Scriba or Google docs for example. And if you don't need to send files to other people, all old programs do the basic job just fine. If you need something, don't generalize it for everybody else, why are you telling to them that they shouldn't buy the systems and flood this informative thread?

A decent DVD/BD player would also be nice or USB support that isn't broken......USB has been a standard for well over 10 years and I never could get it to work properly under OS4 (still broken).  It would constantly corrupt whatever storage device I used.....

I haven't had any problems with USB on MorphOS. Lets not generalize OS4 problems to all NG systems please.

oh, and don't get me started on printing.....printer support under MOS or OS4 is abysmal....and that hasn't changed either in 5 years...oh, and then there's Flash, java, etc....I could go on, but I won't.

I have no problems using network printer on MorphOS. If you use printer supporting postscript , which almost all modern printers do (except the very cheapest ink printers), you'll be fine with printing.

Flash support is partial, but luckily you don't need it on many places anymore. Youtube and other video sites do work without it nowadays etc. And of course java isn't available, but really, how many people will really need it? I've never installed it on any of my machines nor my relatives' machines and nobody has cared about it. It's just one word to yell when you don't have any more arguments.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747650
They fixed it pretty much immediately, not sure if they will release the fix any quickly though, unless you can quote them on that?

Well, traditionally they've made release with new features and then next release more quickly with just bug fixes. I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere with this case too.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Everblue

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
Ah ok, hopefully you are right, thanks :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;747608
Well the least they could do, seeing that they fixed it, is release an updated iso, instead of making me wait until 3.3.

There wont be two different releases with the same version number.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
@Ferrellsl you do realize that a lot have happened in the last 5 years right?

I can't speak for MOS on this one, since I do not use it, but at least for AOS, there are a lot a productivity suites, both natively, through amiCygnix and also a lot have been ported with the help of QT.

So I have to ask you, what is it you need or lack?

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
Quote from: yssing;747661
@Ferrellsl you do realize that a lot have happened in the last 5 years right?

I can't speak for MOS on this one, since I do not use it, but at least for AOS, there are a lot a productivity suites, both natively, through amiCygnix and also a lot have been ported with the help of QT.

So I have to ask you, what is it you need or lack?

It's been less than 5 years that I used my PegII. I BOUGHT it in 2008 and held onto it until October of 2011, so it's been less than 2 years since I used it.  It was a double-boot system with MOS and OS4 installed.  I paid $700 new for the PegII...and another $200 for MOS and if my memory serves me, another $200+ for OS4.  That's a pretty hefty investment only to find that I couldn't do any real work with it.  But I suppose that's cheap compared to an X1000.  My point to readers here is that you shouldn't expect an OS4 or MOS system to be in any way a replacement for mainstream systems, but unfortunately there are too many people here who would have you believe otherwise.  Some are delusional, some are just misinformed but others have an economic interest in OS4, MOS, and X1000 hardware.  I fell into the trap of believing some of the moderators on this board about how useful a MOS system would be and was disappointed.  I'm just saying caveat emptor to those thinking of taking the plunge.  Try AROS first.  It's free......

Oh, AmigCygnix is awesome.  I used it for several months but my PegII at 1Ghz was just too slow and it was also painful to always be importing/exporting Excel files from my work systems.

I was pleasantly surprise to see QT4 ported to OS4 and I hope it brings a wealth of badly needed apps to OS4 and hopefully to MOS as well, whenever someone gets around to porting it.  Things in Amiga-land move slowly, I'm just not patient enough nor imprudent enough to throw more money at either system right now.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
I mostly use my PowerBook with MOS 3.2 for 90% of my day to day stuff and to get my geek on.

I don't use my Linux and MacBookPro machines that much anymore unless I have some specific task to do like using Logic Pro.

I ssh into them from MOS most of the time recently.

Admittedly I only use computers for nerdy activities mostly and web browsing/gmail.

If I was using them for work again I'd be using the Linux machines not the PowerBook.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;747613
Wow, I can't believe so many people here are lauding the use of a backward OS on a whopping 73 systems that are so obsolete that it's laughable. Those systems are 8+ years out of date.  If you're looking for nostalgia, get a classic system or emulate using one of the UAE variants.  There's simply no reason to buy a system to run MorphOS or even OS4 for that matter.  None of the NG systems have a productivity suite or even a browser that is useful enough to read the news! You guys keep right on buying those MOS licenses and keep holding your breath while waiting for some useful applications.  Simply ridiculous.....

Thank you for your opinion, generalizing your application to those of others.  Obviously you're not the target demographic for MorphOS.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;747676
Thank you for your opinion, generalizing your application to those of others.  Obviously you're not the target demographic for MorphOS.

I wouldn't worry about.
He's been down on MorphOS for some time.

"... you shouldn't expect an OS4 or MOS system to be in any way a replacement for mainstream systems, but unfortunately there are too many people here who would have you believe otherwise. Some are delusional..."

Apparently I'm one of the delusional, as I frequently use my MorphOS systems as frequent substitutes for my '"mainstream systems" (ie OSX and Windows).
But since we've had this argument before, I'm not going to rehash it.

To sum it up, no ferrellsl isn't part of our demographic.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2013, 06:07:08 AM »
Quick question.  I picked up a PowerMac which is listed as compatible, but it hangs during the installation.  Could this be related to the PowerBook compatibility problem alluded to above?  It's a 400MHz G4 with an ATI Rage card.  MorphOS site says only Radeon cards, but this system is listed as compatible and there were no models released with Radeon cards.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
@LoadWB
Actually the ATI Rage128 Pro is listed under "without 3d hardware acceleration".

Are you sure it's an 400MHz AGP G4 (PCI-only models are not supported).
At which point does it hang ?
Have you tried stripping the G4 down (no PCI cards, only 1 RAM-stick) to check for broken parts ?
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;747721
@LoadWB
Actually the ATI Rage128 Pro is listed under "without 3d hardware acceleration".

Are you sure it's an 400MHz AGP G4 (PCI-only models are not supported).
At which point does it hang ?
Have you tried stripping the G4 down (no PCI cards, only 1 RAM-stick) to check for broken parts ?

It hangs at varying parts of copying files.  I've stripped it down with the exception of the video card.  Replaced RAM, hard drive, and optical drive.  I don't have it in front of me right now, but I did the research on it to make sure.  It's definitely AGP.  I'll have it in my hands again this weekend and I'll get more information on it.  I'm not opposed to replacing the video card if that's what the problem is.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
If you get that far it's surely supported and the GFX-card should make no difference at that point (well unless it's broken in some way).

Did you try wether the unit runs o.k. under OSX ?
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else