Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED  (Read 32716 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
i thought AROS 68K was OS3 binary-compatible, yes? isn't that the big selling-point there? so since A-EON are committed to OS3/68K, you should be fine.
the problem is, that similarly as previously on os4 it looks like aeon is apparently investing in gimmicks of very limited use. os4 platform got xena, which has not even been mentioned by anyone since i guess a year already. amiga is getting now prisma megarmix which is apparently a cheap codec decoder chip meant for usb thumbs attached to zorro interface and not as advertised a sound card. similarly legacy software like ppaint receives cosmetic changes that are either meant for os4 compatibility or half a way introducing functionality the software wasnt ever meant for, like trying to convert planar into a 24bit image manipulation package by brute force. im not sure this is of much advantage. it looks like trying to achieve immediate sales arguments instead of far sighted strategy that a conscious consumer might be satisfied upon.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
i respectfully disagree.

fine, as long as you do not support it with any argument.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
We engaged with our customer base asking them for feedback on what they wanted. We are working on achievables from our business plan based on what our customers told us.
i wonder where i was when that happened.

Some smaller things will naturally be stepping stones to larger objectives as in any business.
what are these larger objectives?

Please remember that A-EON investing and developing software does not preclude any other developer from making their own applications according to their creative vision. The Amiga world has had a history of innovative and creative developers - so if you have an exciting idea and do not like A-EON's projects, then get busy with your compiler
im not very skilled in that, even though i am giving my compilers and otherwise as much time as i can invest. on the subject of being innovative, im not sure if i consider having x-core chip onboard or codec decoder on zorro card very innovative. if it was, it would have got more attention.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Quote from: Niding;784896
wawrzon, you talk like AeonKit owes you something, like we are entitled to any software they develop/upgrade/aquire and on every "amiga" platform....?

is that an argument you intend to be using towards anyone who posts anything else than dancing bananas?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;784899
@wawrzon

A-EON gets a lot of feedback from parties that are never likely to buy any products from A-EON. However, it is more sensible to listen to the genuinely prospective customers and existing customers. If you were missed out, then it's never too late to send an email to A-EON with your ideas.

if all what you target is your existing customer base then its probably the right strategy. what concerns interesting ideas i dont need to write any emails, its all in the open, like the current independent developments around fpga accelerators.

If you consider some of the software tech that A-EON has recently commissioned, such as the RadeonHD v2 drivers,  that was ground breaking for the Amiga and propels the Amiga to the forefront on compatibility with the latest RadeonHD R5 R7 and R9 graphics cards. I consider that very innovative for this computing platform :)

i dont know. im not getting so hot about 2d rtg support even if it applies to latest cards, which whole justification would usually be 3d gaming if only the base platform was fast enough and software base openly available. for the time being i can live stuck with voodoo3 in mediator.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Niding;784904
No.

I have no issue with people finding the PPC path inefficient and too expensive to justify for hobby habits, myself included, but I dont see why I should be sour about people/companies disagreeing with me.

im not sour. i just think the strategy is as beneficent for the amiga scene as it was for os4 and have commented on that.

If AeonKit wants to invest in xyz anicent program and even upgrading it, then why should I be negative about it? Atm Im completely indifferent to it, until they release a upgraded version. Until that happens I have Octamed Studiosound on my old A1200 working just fine.

im as much interested as you, it was only an example observation.

The word that keeps coming back to me when reading posts on this forum is "entitlement".

as you wish.