Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga HD Image, File recovery  (Read 1389 times)

Description:

Offline Semt-xTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amiga HD Image, File recovery
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »
Hello!

After 11 years I still had this 540MB Seagate Harddisk laying about which used to be my Amiga 1200 HD. It got borked when i tried it to mount in linux about 10 years ago.
I connected it to my pc, turned it on, the hd started to spin as it should. An hd imagetool on my Windows PC was able to make a bit-copy image of it.
Now i'd like to recover files from this image. problem is i cant find a way to do it.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this?

Would be nice to have my .mod files back after all those years :]

thanks in advance!
Sem

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga HD Image, File recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »
thanks for your answer!

What happend I put the amiga HD physicly in an installed linux box and then tried to mount it. which messed up the filesystem. Never touched it since.
Until a few months ago, for the sake of backup i decided to give it a go in a Pc and see if it still physicly worked ( which it did).

Thanks for your advise, here is what i did;
I fired up WinUAE and spend an evening on trying to remember how things worked :]
After a few hours, I had rdb-salv (unregistered) running.
And found in the "salvage" tab, when selected a uaehf.device that it found DH0! and at the bottom of the info window on DH0 it says, "Data found on volume"
promising!
Another hour later i found the program HDtoolbox (workbench installer disk). But it didnt see any HDs (or partitions?)
allthough on my workbench i have 2 icons "SDH0:<4crap characters>" and "SDH1:"
Then i played around with settings in winuae to mount the HDimage, but nothing changed (other then an unclickable icon on the desktop)

this first evening excercise brought me a lot closer to restoring this very old data :]

any suggestions to get hdtoolbox to recognise the hd?

thanks in advance again :]
Sem

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:34 PM »
i didnt!
When i tried it it DID show the partition whoooohoooo ! :-D

since im about to go to bed, i dont have time to google like earlier.
should i enter the partition settings and save them. to see if it does fix the problem?

UPDATE
Since its a copy of an harddisk image i gave it a go, and it didnt fix the problem :]

The harddisk image is a bitcopy image that i renamed to a .hdf extension, just to be able to load it in WinUAE.
I'll try a diff extention tomorow.

Sem

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
thanks! i only had the time to look at it briefly so far. Disksalv indeed recognises files \o/( i wasnt able to actually restore them because i didnt have an empty HD file available
Its the next thing to do :) ). Disksalv sees files but no directory structure.

Meanwhile i got a more precise picture on what was wrong with this disk. the RDB contains wrong partition information. I vaguely remember i only had 1 partition on the disk. and on my desktop (and in rdb salv it shows two. (both equal in size).

@mrad
Thanks for your answer but i dont plan to give linux another go. i ditched my linux box about 10 years ago and still dont see a reason to start using it again.