Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another new homebrew accelerator?  (Read 1667 times)

Description:

Offline Acill

Re: Another new homebrew accelerator?
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 01, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »
Guy in Finland makes one called IDE68k that I picked up cheap. I think it was $60
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline kneehighspy

• Show only replies by kneehighspy
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 12:34:04 AM »
Quote from: Acill;818574
Guy in Finland makes one called IDE68k that I picked up cheap. I think it was $60

thanks, i have heard about the ide68k before, i thought they were no longer made, i will double check, thanks Acill!

//kneehighspy

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 12:40:20 AM »
Thought the IDE68k was also made by kipper?  Or wasn't one of his based on that design?  What was that other one... 206-something-or-other?  The one that was just named numbers, and every few weeks seemed to have some new version?

Googled trying to find it and found this instead:  https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/29565-amibay/87471-cf-ide-68k-card-for-amiga-500-new

Sure would be nice if we had a bonafide resource listing all these projects instead of just "guys in their garage".  Something that would also make it easier to support them.  Wishful thinking, I know!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 01:30:17 AM »
Be aware that the github project linked in the first post is a different "Accelerator" to the one in the facebook image. The first is an experiment in interfacing a 68020 to the 68000 socket and has minimal performance improvement over the 68000 (using a separate fast ram expansion may help). The image is of a 68030 accelerator board with fast ram, FPU and IDE which is still very much under test and development (revision 1 has some PCB issues). If you click on the parent "terriblefire" directory of the github you'll see the tf530 project but it is only a placeholder for now until the board has been proven.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:34:30 AM by IanP »

Offline zipper

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;818578
Thought the IDE68k was also made by kipper?  

It was designed by member mrmkl - last active 2011 here. Recent home is
http://www.mkl211015.altervista.org/ide/

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
Quote from: IanP;818583
Be aware that the github project linked in the first post is a different "Accelerator" to the one in the facebook image. The first is an experiment in interfacing a 68020 to the 68000 socket and has minimal performance improvement over the 68000 (using a separate fast ram expansion may help). The image is of a 68030 accelerator board with fast ram, FPU and IDE which is still very much under test and development (revision 1 has some PCB issues). If you click on the parent "terriblefire" directory of the github you'll see the tf530 project but it is only a placeholder for now until the board has been proven.

Indeed, developer has only just fitted an FPU and is having issues getting it to fire up.

The whole project is in very early stage, but he just started his first thread on eab forums... clever guy, feeling his way.

Basically he's trying to build small as he can, working up (eventually, no time frame) to a CD32 accelerator. Lots of stages in between.

So, it's not a project at this stage for people who want an off the shelf A500 accelerator, it's more of a tech demonstrator to show how Amiga devs can still develop hardware. It might lead to very successful boards, but you are quite right, it is not fair to anybody to say things or mislead things at this stage.

So, I'm sorry to give the impression the 020 board has RAM - it doesn't.

And Acii, the boards will almost certainly need some wire wrap additions, but that's fine by me. I'm still game. :)
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;818545
Last I heard of, they were at each other's throats in the courts.

You are a little bit behind, and even if not it still shows that open source hardware can be sold commercially.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Fats;818638
You are a little bit behind, and even if not it still shows that open source hardware can be sold commercially.

:laughing:

... theoretically it could happen.        
:laughing:

I am not going to attempt the number of githubs that will never be commercially produced.

Some are, in vast numbers. The teeny, tiny, minority of successful designs.

I wish I could do more than wish the man all the best and try and help over the internet properly, checking the design with Eagle, building one, etc. I just haven't time right now, got a deadline on... old habits die hard...

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;818639
Some are, in vast numbers. The teeny, tiny, minority of successful designs.

Nothing different from the proprietary projects that never reach commercial introduction let alone success. Advantage with github is that attempts are documented and can be build upon.

I'd rather talk about hobby projects as opposite of commercial projects, and hobby projects don't necessarily have to be open source either.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
Quote from: Fats;818888
I'd rather talk about hobby projects as opposite of commercial projects, and hobby projects don't necessarily have to be open source either.

That's true. One reason I've never published any of my code is - it's embarassingly inelegant.

Might shove the binaries out one day, they're pretty intense demos if you want to VJ with Amigas. Truly open sourcing it would just be too humiliating.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
Well, TerribleFire is not standing still. Got the RAM and Autoconfig sort of there, MMU recognized, board happy at 25MHz. Still got some issues to resolve, then the IDE port...

.,, then it's good to go. :) Latest vid is just showing the difference between 25MHz Frontier and regular A500 Frontier, and he's not even using NTSC for an extra speed boost;-

https://youtu.be/XRO9j2G9owc
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:32:55 AM by Pat the Cat »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
The 7MHz 68000 Frontier would be a bit better with some Fast RAM. Not much, I know... :)