Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Music player for windows  (Read 4154 times)

Description:

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
Music player for windows
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »
Hi...

Im looking for a music player, since years im using apolo mp3 player, is light and read many formats but freezes times under windows 7.

I dont like itunes or bloatware like it, im want a light players that read many formats, any ideas?

Thanks
a1200 060

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Music player for windows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Winamp. Winamp Winamp Winamp. Plugins for absolutely every format under the sun, lightweight at least in the older versions (I use 5.01, never have had a need to upgrade,) excellent shell integration, and you can completely disable all the media-library stuff if you want (which I do.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
WinAmp and all its websupports ends on december 20th. WinAmp development has been terminated, so on long term you need a new player.

Especially if security leaks are found in the existing version, you ran out of options.

There is a small chance it gets open source one day.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
Quote from: Geit;753228
WinAmp and all its websupports ends on december 20th. WinAmp development has been terminated, so on long term you need a new player.

Especially if security leaks are found in the existing version, you ran out of options.

There is a small chance it gets open source one day.
Why the hell would you need a new player when Winamp will still play all the file formats it currently plays with all the functionality it currently has? And even if someone bothered to find security holes in it (like there aren't a million better targets out there,) you could just, y'know, disable its Internet functionality altogether (you can do this at least up to 5.01, probably later.)

I swear, the Cult of Constant Updates is really getting on my nerves...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Try BZR Player, by Blazer over at English Amiga Board. It plays all kinds of Amiga formats, in addition to MP3 and the other common formats.

http://bzrplayer.blazer.nu/
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35976

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »
Bye bye WinAmp, sniff sniff, I would miss you but I have not used you in many years.

:(

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/after-15-years-of-llama-whipping-aol-shuts-down-winamp-for-good/

AmiAmp still looks good.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:48:42 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;753232
I swear, the Cult of Constant Updates is really getting on my nerves...

I call it insane to use windows software without installing all updates. This includes non system stuff, too.

Most trojans and viruses come through bugs in third party software not up to date and WinAmp is a target worth attaching because of its number of active users. Especially when updates are not provided for a while.

Not updating stuff like java and flash (if installed) is the best way to get your system infected quite easy.

Geit

Offline matt3k

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Sonique 1.96 (Stay away from release 2).

It is a older player, with tons of skins and visuals.  Used it for 10+ Years, works fine in windows 7 64 bit.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »
Quote from: Geit;753246
I call it insane to use windows software without installing all updates. This includes non system stuff, too.

Most trojans and viruses come through bugs in third party software not  up to date and WinAmp is a target worth attaching because of its number  of active users. Especially when updates are not provided for a while.

Not updating stuff like java and flash (if installed) is the best way to get your system infected quite easy.
Which totally matches up entirely with my having used old (not even remotely current) versions of Winamp for over a decade and never once having been infected via it. Definitely a huge risk.

Just turn the damn Internet features off. It's super-freaking-easy.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:17:32 AM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;753249
Which totally matches up entirely with my having used old (not even remotely current) versions of Winamp for over a decade and never once having been infected via it. Definitely a huge risk.

Just turn the damn Internet features off. It's super-freaking-easy.

Well CJ I agree with you on this one. People who think they need supported applications and patch update support for them definitely do.

Winamp don't use Java or Flash. Its a #@*&#@ 32 bit executable. One day its file requestor might stop working but at the mo she's a go.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
That's a shame. The main reason i use Windows as my main os is because of WinAmp.

Internet connectivity has its uses such as Gracenote which is really useful when using obscure tunes. But i agree it's not really needed (apart from Gracenote).

Also i just did a quick Google search and apparently Microsoft is buying it. I wonder what they will do with it?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;753264
That's a shame. The main reason i use Windows as my main os is because of WinAmp.

Internet connectivity has its uses such as Gracenote which is really useful when using obscure tunes. But i agree it's not really needed (apart from Gracenote).

Also i just did a quick Google search and apparently Microsoft is buying it. I wonder what they will do with it?

They are going to dig a hole and bury it so that it will stop making their lame Windows Media Player look so bad.  They won't do it real obvious.  They will just keep "accidentally" making it worse and worse to make ppl quit using it.  Then after the proper amount of time has passed they will pull the plug and bury it in the WinAmp shaped hole in the flower garden of Franko's back yard. :p

Music Players for Windoze 7:
WinAmp 2.9 / 2.x  Many ppl use this and say it does everything they need it to do while using a tiny tiny amount of CPU power and RAM.

WinAmp v5.x+ Some ppl don't like WinAmp 2.x and the v5.x is the only other version worth getting.  V3 was bugged and bogged down with bloat.  V4 had problems too.

I had some version of WinAmp on my Windoze XP computer for many years but I had not used it for maybe a year then my XP puter blew up and I got a new W7 puter but I never got around to installing WinAmp.

DeliPlayer 2.5:  I use this to play mods on Windoze 7 but I can't exactly recommend it.  Its rather buggy and has problems.  But it exists and I do manage to get it to work for me.  Try it if you like.  You'll have to run it in "compatibility mode" on W7.

BZRplayer: I use this to play any mods that Deliplayer won't.

Zplayer: The very best movie player I have ever used on any platform.  It has about 10 trillion features.  Seems to play most nonmod music formats.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
I am using 5.572.

As much as i like it it does have flaws. Hates playing videos, keyboard shortcuts are buggy, maybe a little too complicated for my liking.

For me a good media player sits in the corner with as minimal controls and features as possible. Winamp does this perfect for me. It sits at the top of my screen from the left to the right in a toolbar like skin. Everything else WimAmp offers is a waste to me except the playlist format which i love. I also love the way it saves the EQ settings for each track in your library. The rest of it is nonsense.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.