Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Music player for windows  (Read 4054 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Music player for windows
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
I am using 5.572.

As much as i like it it does have flaws. Hates playing videos, keyboard shortcuts are buggy, maybe a little too complicated for my liking.

For me a good media player sits in the corner with as minimal controls and features as possible. Winamp does this perfect for me. It sits at the top of my screen from the left to the right in a toolbar like skin. Everything else WimAmp offers is a waste to me except the playlist format which i love. I also love the way it saves the EQ settings for each track in your library. The rest of it is nonsense.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;753249
Which totally matches up entirely with my having used old (not even remotely current) versions of Winamp for over a decade and never once having been infected via it. Definitely a huge risk.

Just turn the damn Internet features off. It's super-freaking-easy.

Oh, my god. You really have no clue how this works. Ever heard about gif or jpg files infecting a system? No? Poor you.

Hacking can be done by a prepared file. You just need to download the right media file, it triggers a bug/overflow/underun and boom.

Quote from: commodorejohn;753249
never once having been infected via it.

lol, is there a help bubble reporting "This trojan brought to you by Flash"?

People like you keep bot nets and the virus checker industry alive.

Geit

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
Thanks for all the help foobar and brxplayer looks good, and.. totally off topic but im still having much problems of login and post here.

About the updated software... sometimes updating means errors and new bugs.
a1200 060

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
Quote from: Geit;753273
Ever heard about gif or jpg files infecting a system?
No, I haven't, because GIFs and JPEGs do not contain executable code. There is no possible way they could be a vector for infection unless A. you were using some kind of malware image-viewer program that deliberately executed some kind of metadata in the EXIF information as if it were code, and you just happened to view specific images that contained a virus payload designed specifically for that viewer, or B. it's actually a VBScript or other executable file named something like picture.jpg.vbs (in which case it's not actually a GIF or JPEG) and you've got extension hiding in Windows turned on so you only see picture.jpg, in which case it's your fault for not turning extension hiding off to prevent exactly that.

I swear, next you're going to tell me that "hackers can turn your computer into a bomb!"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;753285
No, I haven't, because GIFs and JPEGs do not contain executable code. There is no possible way they could be a vector for infection unless A. you were using some kind of malware image-viewer program that deliberately executed some kind of metadata in the EXIF information as if it were code, and you just happened to view specific images that contained a virus payload designed specifically for that viewer, or B. it's actually a VBScript or other executable file named something like picture.jpg.vbs (in which case it's not actually a GIF or JPEG) and you've got extension hiding in Windows turned on so you only see picture.jpg, in which case it's your fault for not turning extension hiding off to prevent exactly that.

I swear, next you're going to tell me that "hackers can turn your computer into a bomb!"

You once again proved to have no clue how this works. Of course there are .gif or .jpg files which are simple scripts or even executables hidden in mail attachments. Those are not ment here.

I talk about manipulated image files, where e.g. some numberic information for decoding is simply wrong and triggers a crash. In such case the guy who manipulated the file planted code inside the image file and uses the "crash", which normaly would happen, to run exactly that data. So, yes. There can be executable data in any media file and it can infect your system, if it is used by the matching version of application, where the bug is still in.

This is exactly what is used to e.g. hack a system using a word document. Or those manipulated PDF files, or even movies where codec errors are used to get control over your system, by letting them crash.

That is why it is important to keep stuff which you frequently feed with data from some external source up to date. If you only create your own PDF or AVI files, that quite ok, but when it comes to surfing, you will get any virus in the world for free, if you just pick the right file download and display it.

There is no need to double click a mail attachment. Even the Playstation2 gets hacked that way. You simply plant a modified DVD Player onto MemoryCard and the console crashes even before the Playstation Logo appears and shows the hacker menu. It does it all the time, because the PS2 does not even have flash memory. It got hacked because the Firmware in ROM has a bug, which gets used to launch own software.

Just visiting the right websites may causes your system to be taken over, because you did no apply the latest fixes for media decoding or the browser itself.

Geit
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:22:37 PM by Geit »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »
So for you unbridled neurotics who can't fathom using software that doesn't come out with a new version every three days, Winamp has been bought by a company that apparently actually gives a damn about it. Let's cross our fingers that being bought by a media/advertising network  doesn't herald the inclusion of a bunch of crapware with a damn fine  media player, but at least it's not dead for the moment.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
Radionomy makes a great iOS/Android app.  Hopefully they'll make Winamp touch friendly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »
That's great news. I always loved Winamp although I don't use it now. This media player capability is interesting though. How does it go with 1080 mkv's? ;)

As to Geits succinct point on JPGs crashing and executing code within the jpg file as an exit, I laughed and laughed until I saw the share price of McAfee now Intel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:05:31 AM by gertsy »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
Just use Winamp.  Best standalone player around.  Grab an older version if you want to avoid some of the bloat that came into Winamp in more modern versions.  Some of the older versions of time tested software are still the best, check out http://www.oldversion.com/

(that being said, everything Geit said about infection vectors is 110% true, so do your homework on security if using older versions)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Quote from: Duce;757332

(that being said, everything Geit said about infection vectors is 110% true, so do your homework on security if using older versions)

Cool, if you, Geit, or anyone else could send me one of the infected JPGs that miraculously knows the program that's executing it, and also knows what OS and potential runtime the viewer is running in, I will view it with glee.

Once I have run it I will mount it up alongside my stuffed Sasquatch and Unicorn head in the pool room.

Hopefully you were being ironic with the 110% if not it still made me smile.
But off topic.

Winamp on Windows will play high definition 1080 video ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:22:24 PM by gertsy »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Since I see some comments about video playing, I'll throw in a pitch for VLC Media Player. It's free, available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, runs under Windows, Linux, Mac, even has some obscure executables for formats like Sun, I think, and will play basically any format of movie out there, anywhere, with all sorts of options for display format, audio settings, subtitles, etc. +1 because it's what all the hackers and pirates on The Pirate Bay website use, so they're not likely to hack their own player, LOL.

PS - WinAmp blows, big-time. :p
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
Agree IMO it is THE Windows video player. Handbrake plus VLC = joy.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:40 AM »
I have never been able to play any videos properly with WinAmp with any quality. Definitely not 1080p. My current version refuses to play any videos period. I use WinAmp for music and VLC for movies.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:51 AM »
The whole "virus in jpg files" thing started around ten years ago: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms04-028
Only Microsoft makes it possible :)

But  I have never heard about any cases of jpg's that actually has harmful  code integrated, only false positive reports by antivirus software.

Anyway,  it's good to hear that WinAmp has new owners. I personally use WinAmp  for music, VLC for videos and IrfanView for pictures on all my Windows  computers. And I only use classic skins with WinAmp.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;757381
I have never been able to play any videos properly with WinAmp with any quality. Definitely not 1080p. My current version refuses to play any videos period. I use WinAmp for music and VLC for movies.

I didn't think so.  It's more a music / sound file player than a media player.

As to malware in media files im well aware  of the Trojan website exposures through phishing. But interesting how that has been interpreted as local execution through an unknown media player/viewer. Still happy to have my ignorance enlightened by anyone willing to send through one of these elusive and dangerous files.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 17, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
VLC also plays mp3 files... so you could use it for everything.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg