Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out  (Read 4031 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 05, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Quote from: hazydave;758490
The Dreamcast was at least an improvement, but Sega did such a crappy job on the Saturn, they never recovered. The Saturn had more processor chips than Nintendo or Sony had chips in their system... it was under-powered and yet more expensive to make than the competition.

The Sega Saturn underpowered...

...that brings to mind an interesting article I recently read:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/bfwwiwa-issue-1-sega-saturn.361538/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline psxphill

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Quote from: hazydave;758490
The Dreamcast was at least an improvement, but Sega did such a crappy job on the Saturn, they never recovered. The Saturn had more processor chips than Nintendo or Sony had chips in their system... it was under-powered and yet more expensive to make than the competition.

In terms of hardware design Sony got it right in the PS1 and wrong in the PS2, Sega got it wrong in the Saturn and right in the Dreamcast. The Saturn probably has more games that I'd want to play than the Dreamcast though.

Piracy killed the Dreamcast, every single console out there could play pirated games when kalisto released their boot cd. After they fixed the problem in new consoles the PS2 hit and demand for new consoles dropped to zero.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:06 AM »
I hate it when a system's demise is blamed on piracy.

The fact is, parasitism is an element of any ecosystem and those that would manage an ecosystem to draw wealth from it need to work it into their operating model.

When I see "killed by piracy" I read "killed by the business' inability to come up with a working real-world model and not willing to admit it".

For every system claimed to be killed by piracy I'll find you another that thrives in spite of piracy.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;758497
In terms of hardware design Sony got it right in the PS1 and wrong in the PS2, Sega got it wrong in the Saturn and right in the Dreamcast. The Saturn probably has more games that I'd want to play than the Dreamcast though.

Piracy killed the Dreamcast, every single console out there could play pirated games when kalisto released their boot cd. After they fixed the problem in new consoles the PS2 hit and demand for new consoles dropped to zero.

Actually, back during the Dreamcast days, Sega (the old Sega) put out an open letter to the community (which I swear I still have a copy of somewhere), that stated that they were not concerned about piracy, that's why they didn't put any security within the system itself, because they did not feel that piracy was a threat considering that most of the general public is made up of consumers that had no idea how to bootleg a Dreamcast disc in the first place. Secondly, they said that the piracy scene only served to advertise the Dreamcast by word of mouth. And lastly they were very supportive of the homebrew scene and if I recall correctly, lended a hand in the Linux port, and I believe there was even going to be a QNX port at one time. Sega was very eager to see people write their own code on the hardware and apply them to all sorts of uses, running factory machines included.

Another side note to mention would be that there are still countries out there that will not allowing ruling against such piracy sites as Pirate Bay, and their economy is still doing fine on top of that.

Here is one recent example of this:

http://www.osnews.com/story/27541/Dutch_courts_overturn_Pirate_Bay_blockade

Lastly, when ever I see an independant, non-biased, non-corporately funded investigation from government in regards to the effects of piracy upon the American economy, time and time again they insist that it isn't doing damage, just as recordable 8-tracks, 16-tracks, beta, and vhs did not pluger the market in the 80's.

Oh, and don't ya just love how Disney bought the rights to material out of public domain, and how nature can now be patented so long as it is modified, as in can't reproduce seeds so to lead to another illegal monopoly, or how... oh never mind. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
never  got into any consoles after cd32 ..until the ps3  ..mad for tennis games an topspin 4 is outstanding  ,,first tennis game ive played that i really have to try on the hardest level  now...if the ps4  can have a tennis game  to better that  probably  have a good look at one ..
only  consoles i ever really wanted was a 3do  an a jaguar ..still do good collector  pieces  now..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
Bought a Wii U.  Love it.  Not buying PS4 or XBOX one.   Xbox360 good enough for me and for the games like AC4 out on both 360 and wii U will continue to get wii u version as genreally better due to higher spec of wii u over 360 and ps3.

Latest version of ps xbox are not where near the value.   My year old alienware laptop is  more poewrful in some respects
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;758508
Actually, back during the Dreamcast days, Sega (the old Sega) put out an open letter to the community (which I swear I still have a copy of somewhere), that stated that they were not concerned about piracy, that's why they didn't put any security within the system itself, because they did not feel that piracy was a threat considering that most of the general public is made up of consumers that had no idea how to bootleg a Dreamcast disc in the first place. Secondly, they said that the piracy scene only served to advertise the Dreamcast by word of mouth.

That would have been more believable if they hadn't then produced a dreamcast that couldn't boot Mil-CD discs.

But the truth is they went to the effort of putting security in there, they just misjudged that Mil-CD would be an effective way of getting round it.

It would be like Nintendo/Sony saying the same thing about playing games off DVD-R by using the DVD video exploits (unmodified Wii & PS2 can both read burnt DVD-R by fooling it into thinking it's a DVD Video).

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;758540
That would have been more believable if they hadn't then produced a dreamcast that couldn't boot Mil-CD discs.

But the truth is they went to the effort of putting security in there, they just misjudged that Mil-CD would be an effective way of getting round it.

It would be like Nintendo/Sony saying the same thing about playing games off DVD-R by using the DVD video exploits (unmodified Wii & PS2 can both read burnt DVD-R by fooling it into thinking it's a DVD Video).

really ?

But wii can not read dvd video discs un-moddified ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
Dvd movies on dvd-r can be read and used on wii.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;758546
Dvd movies on dvd-r can be read and used on wii.

without modification ?  do you mean without any hardware moficifcation then yes they can play dvds.  Obviously to play DVD movies you need to modify the OS on the wii as the wii provides no functionality out of the box to watch DVD films.

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:35 PM »
Yes you need a so called softmod. Homebrew Chanel.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Quote from: agami;758503
When I see "killed by piracy" I read "killed by the business' inability to come up with a working real-world model and not willing to admit it".

Back in the day I had hundreds of games for my C64 and amigas. The games I payed for can be counted on one hand. I also used to use such excuses as above to feel good about my piracy. After those years I can now see a system can't survive on such a user base.

Heck, I really must be getting old; I'm even paying for my digital music recently.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing