Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9117 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 27, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
I leave some space on drives or have an empty OS partition. If the OS get virus damaged I can reinstall and have all my software ready, without plugging in extra hard drives.

I think MS will fail some day in the future. Their software is silly and uninspired.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
Apple really got the trackpad.  Windows 8.1 works with a trackpad far better than a mouse, but they aren't really using it right.  It needs to basically duplicate what a touch interface does and no more.  Somebody should lock the Microsoft designers in a room full of MacBook Airs and not let them out until they understand the Trackpad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Sort of like what Dell does...  Being a Mac user my Windows environments are all virtual, if the Windows VM become diseased I blow it away and use a backed up VM.

Windows has 90% of the desktop market, a company that can't leverage that into the tablet market deserves to fail.  

Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;751235
I leave some space on drives or have an empty OS partition. If the OS get virus damaged I can reinstall and have all my software ready, without plugging in extra hard drives.

I think MS will fail some day in the future. Their software is silly and uninspired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
On a touch screen device mimicking gesture on the touchpad is not intuitive. IMO. Better to get the pointer movements and dynamic acceleration down pat. I turn touchpad gestures off in those situations.
As to Market between your quote and CJs is the reason you can't quote market numbers without qualification.
Windows 8 holds over 12 times the market share of OS X on new PCs and Laptops. ;)
Stats....hmmm.

Offline persia

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
You qualified your own statistic. Apple, Google and Microsoft each have their own market in which they dominate.  Given the headstart Microsoft had this is shocking no matter how you quote the statistics.  How can you take a 90%+ lead in all computer devices in 2006 to a 30% share in 2013?

The only reason Microsoft is still in the game is that Apple has apparently lost it's vision.  The latest iPhones and iPads are such a small advance on the previous models that it's almost laughable.  This is unwise given the history that Microsoft eventually gets things right...

Quote from: gertsy;751264
On a touch screen device mimicking gesture on the touchpad is not intuitive. IMO. Better to get the pointer movements and dynamic acceleration down pat. I turn touchpad gestures off in those situations.
As to Market between your quote and CJs is the reason you can't quote market numbers without qualification.
Windows 8 holds over 12 times the market share of OS X on new PCs and Laptops. ;)
Stats....hmmm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Quote from: persia;751267
The latest iPhones and iPads are such a small advance on the previous models that it's almost laughable.

In the PC market yearly upgrades were smaller than this for 20 years and no one ever complained.

Offline persia

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2013, 01:42:59 AM »
Quote from: minator;751271
In the PC market yearly upgrades were smaller than this for 20 years and no one ever complained.

That's true, and iOS has such a huge inventory of software that doing something to make it incompatible would be silly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2013, 06:37:10 AM »
Quote from: persia;751267
You qualified your own statistic. Apple, Google and Microsoft each have their own market in which they dominate.  Given the headstart Microsoft had this is shocking no matter how you quote the statistics.  How can you take a 90%+ lead in all computer devices in 2006 to a 30% share in 2013?

How about if you quote the stats like this; Add Mobile phone and PDA units to the first percentage and it no longer looks drastic at all. Microsoft never played in that arena at all and only started last year, so I don't know what you mean by head start.  

The 2nd post in this thread says it.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
I think you two are looking at it from different perspectives. It really depends if you consider smartphones/tablets as computers or not. To me it's Apples and Oranges - they have nothing in common.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
I refer back to my previous comment; I imagine in the 70's, mainframe users would have looked down on Microcomputers as "silly toys"... Now they have all but replaced mainframes.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;751291
How about if you quote the stats like this; Add  Mobile phone and PDA units to the first percentage and it no longer  looks drastic at all. Microsoft never played in that arena at all and  only started last year, so I don't know what you mean by head start.
That's not true. Microsoft has been trying to get in on the mobile trend since the days of Pocket PCs. They had some success with Windows CE back then, because there was little else available other than Palm and Blackberry, but they've been trying and failing to catch up to the iPhone for six years now.

Quote from: bloodline;751295
I refer back to my previous comment; I imagine in the 70's, mainframe users would have looked down on Microcomputers as "silly toys"... Now they have all but replaced mainframes.
The difference is that microcomputers used the exact same physical UI for the end user as mainframes/minicomputers - first a keyboard and text display, and then a graphical display and mouse as well. Microcomputer manufacturers didn't invent some gimmicky new interface when the one that was already the standard was entirely adequate, so once the hardware caught up, there was basically no reason not to just use micros. If microcomputer manufacturers had gotten it into their head that they should fundamentally alter the way the user interacted with the computer, it would've been a different story.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »
And don't forget punched cards and paper tapes!

Quote from: commodorejohn;751310
T
The difference is that microcomputers used the exact same physical UI for the end user as mainframes/minicomputers - first a keyboard and text display, and then a graphical display and mouse as well. Microcomputer manufacturers didn't invent some gimmicky new interface when the one that was already the standard was entirely adequate, so once the hardware caught up, there was basically no reason not to just use micros. If microcomputer manufacturers had gotten it into their head that they should fundamentally alter the way the user interacted with the computer, it would've been a different story.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:35 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;751295

i know you've said you did some "content creation", the buzz phrase people seem to use, on a tablet, but really very, very few people create anything on tablets and phones.  For the vast majority, these are simply the hardware to "consume content".

I still have no compelling reason to own a tablet or a smart phone- my latop, desktop and ancient nokia phone lets me do all I need to do, and then some.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 03:45:11 AM »
Quote from: persia;751325
And don't forget punched cards and paper tapes!
Those were storage media - how people loaded things into the computer, not how they interacted with it. (Well, not by the time micros came around, anyway - the days of the "priesthood" feeding the mundane user/programmers' punch cards, made with a keypunch, into the machine and returning the results on more punch cards had already given way to the users directly interacting with the mainframe via terminals.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;751292
I think you two are looking at it from different perspectives. It really depends if you consider smartphones/tablets as computers or not. To me it's Apples and Oranges - they have nothing in common.
Nonsense. That's likes saying fish aren't animals, they're fish, or birds aren't animals, they're birds. Clearly ridiculous.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
OK then. I'll try and dumb it down.

"I think you two are looking at it from different perspectives. It really  depends if you consider smartphones/tablets as being the same as desktops/laptops or not. To me  it's Apples and Oranges - they have nothing in common."

Yes, to use your logic smartphones/tablets are computers the same as Apples and Oranges are both fruit. But do you consider Apples and Oranges to be the same even though they are both fruit? Personally i don't.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.