Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9114 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #74 from previous page: October 25, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;751025
Windows 7 is ugly. So is XP's Luna theme, and Vista's weird transitional look. But XP and Vista at least let you go back to the classic Windows 95 look.

How to make Windows 7 pretty: switch off transparency effects.

I also like the classic Windows 95 look but dont you ever get bored to it? I had been using XP 6 years but finally in this month my work laptop was upgraded to Windows 7. It is quite refreshing to have a new look and it is not that bad. Maybe not the prettiest, drop shadows look odd.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:40 AM »
Quote from: itix;751132
I also like the classic Windows 95 look but dont you ever get bored to it? I had been using XP 6 years but finally in this month my work laptop was upgraded to Windows 7. It is quite refreshing to have a new look and it is not that bad. Maybe not the prettiest, drop shadows look odd.
Eh, no. I don't get bored of the Windows 95 look because, in my humble opinion, the purpose of a user interface is to provide information and control to the user and then get the hell out of the way. Most "pretty" interfaces are really bad at that last part. 7's look isn't remotely the worst I've seen (that title would have to go to all that horrible pointlessly-skeumorphic software that flooded the market in the late '90s-early '00s,) but it wastes a lot of screen space (and some of us are still on 1024x768, mind!) and has a lot of visual "noise" that catches the eye to no other purpose than looking pretty. The 95 look delivers information in a neat, clean way that never distracts you from what you're actually doing, and that's what a UI should be.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2013, 01:02:33 AM »
11 Hard Drives?

Quote from: som99;751130
Here is my Windows 8 machine as close as possible to classic windows themes, not accurate enough, no icon change etc just colors and classic shell installed, but as close as it gets without skinning with windows blinds etc, the start menu is from "classic shell" with my own start button.
All Metro UI stuff is turned off and won't pop up whatever yuo do, you have to manually edit the configs to turn it on again.

image shrinked to 70% from 1920x1080.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »
Damn, that's eerily similar to my Windows setup in regards to drives/partitions, even down to the labels
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2013, 03:24:42 AM »
Enough disk space there, som99?
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2013, 03:26:54 AM »
11 hard drives being managed through metro touch screen interface. No wonder you are not happy.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Quote from: persia;751203
11 Hard Drives?

No, 8 physical and 3 extra partitions :)

Quote from: fishy_fiz;751208
Damn, that's eerily similar to my Windows setup in regards to drives/partitions, even down to the labels

Great minds think alike ;)

Quote from: commodorejohn;751209
Enough disk space there, som99?

Running really low on that machine, but planning on expanding it soon and use the old drives in my file server/seed box :)

Quote from: Kesa;751210
11 hard drives being managed through metro touch screen interface. No wonder you are not happy.

You make me happy Kesa ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:10:32 AM by som99 »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;751115
So you can switch it back to the old look and behavior? Because otherwise they're still a mark down from XP (and to a lesser extent Vista) on that point.

No you can't, which is good because it means that old look that 0.1% of people would use isn't in there slowing the computer and the Microsoft developers down.

That puts them several marks up.

I know you can't help being cranky, but it's not all about you.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
Why would it slow the computer down. Maybe you could explain that to me?

But yes you are right that it would be counter productive in that for  every feature ms offers they must also provide support for that feature.  Which would be a waste if it was something only 0.1% of people would  use and the developer resources could be better put to use somewhere  else. Why waste limited/valuable developer resources on something no-one  wants?

Hey, that sounds like the economic problem - limited resources, unlimited wants.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:22:51 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
A far large percentage of MS Windows users than OS X users are still using mice.  The Windows tile interface works best on a track pad.  

Since 8.1 it is a lot harder to get lost, the only thing that isn't obvious is the charms bar.  It looks as though they really tried to make the start screen act more like OS X launchpad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Do partitions make sense in a modern OS?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
Quote from: persia;751225
A far large percentage of MS Windows users than OS X users are still using mice.  The Windows tile interface works best on a track pad.  

Since 8.1 it is a lot harder to get lost, the only thing that isn't obvious is the charms bar.  It looks as though they really tried to make the start screen act more like OS X launchpad.

I don't understand the mouse percentage claim, But IMO the Tile interface works best on touch not track pad.

On the last point; how has the 8.1 start screen been made to act like the OS X Launch pad ?

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;751217
No you can't, which is good because it means that old look that 0.1% of people would use isn't in there slowing the computer and the Microsoft developers down.

That puts them several marks up.
If they already have the capability in the OS, then providing the old look and feel as an option is not going to slow the system down. You're talking nonsense to justify their behavior.

Also, your "0.1%" is pulled out of thin air. Fact is, a year on from release, Windows 8 has only just cracked 8% market share - slightly over one-sixth of 7's and just over one-fourth of XP's. So the newer OS that acts closer to the old OS is six times as successful as the one that doesn't, and the old OS is still four times more popular than the new hotness. Those are't numbers that suggest that "0.1%" of people care about this.

I know you can't help being cranky, but it's not all about you.
And it's not about anybody else who just wants to use their computer the way they've always used their computer, either. Which is the reason behind those numbers up there. Microsoft has spent the last two years banging their head against the wall, failing to understand or accept that they can't just engineer their customers to fit the product they want to make - with Windows 8, with the Surface, with the XBone - and they're alienating the customers they do have in the process. That's really stupid behavior for a business.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
Quote from: persia;751226
Do partitions make sense in a modern OS?

For dual boot it does and to dedicate partitions to VMWare :)
Edit: and of course F: has a ghost image of freshly installed Windows + all drivers etc and important applications.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:45:17 PM by som99 »

Offline persia

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Launchpad isn't a separate world in OS X, it's just a way to see all your applications, it doesn't have active tiles that feed you information.  It feels a part of the OS.  Microsoft has tried to integrate the Start screen back into Windows 8.1, so it's less jarring, unfortunately Windows 8 apps still run in there own desktop full screen by default rather than allowing you to make them full screen like OS X.  I think Microsoft tried too hard, instead of just copying OS X they tried to one better OS X and they aren't really good at that.

What needs to happen is that Windows 7 apps need to run in the Windows 8 desktop so that they can just do away with the Windows 7 desktop entirely.  The tiles need to be rethought.  Is it really necessary to display information in a program launch window?  And while better they really need to think about how to switch between full screen and not full screen.  They need to pull touch and non-touch apart and optimise for both.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
I leave some space on drives or have an empty OS partition. If the OS get virus damaged I can reinstall and have all my software ready, without plugging in extra hard drives.

I think MS will fail some day in the future. Their software is silly and uninspired.
Go Go Gadget Signature!