Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mission StatementII (was: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum)  (Read 9735 times)

Description:

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
Re: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2003, 07:05:55 AM »
hi mips_proc, are you refering to me or someone else?

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2003, 07:07:34 AM »
referring to people in general.... complaining that the other camp has some 'news' ... news is news...who cares where it came from...bieng jealous of news is lame... be jealous of the product...thats at least more fun to argue about.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2003, 07:23:12 AM »
hi mips_proc,

Exactly!!!!

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2003, 07:59:34 AM »
but this is AMIGA.ORG not Morf/Peg.org

Right, but "AMIGA" as defined at this web site means relevant to classic Amiga computers and software. "Morf/Peg" are a PPC solution for running classic Amiga software, so they're relevant here, as relevant as, say, the AmigaOS4/AmigaOne. "Amiga" here does not mean "officially connected to the activities of Amiga, Inc." This definition both leaves out obviously relevant news and includes irrelevant topics, as people have been pointing out.

-- gary_c

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2003, 08:09:27 AM »
nice to see you posting again gary

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
Re: Mission StatementII (was: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2003, 09:33:28 AM »
@chromozone, Removing mos from the main page is a solution, but its a solution to a problem that we dont have. If the problem was that mos didnt belong on amiga.org then it would be the right solution, but mos does belong here so its not the solution. Dont get me wrong, im not a mos supporter and its certainly not my preffered solution, but im man enought to admit that there is as much right for it to be here as there is aos.

As you said "What is Pissing me off is the Hype is turning up in every thread, where it does not belong !" BINGO!. That is the real problem and the one that needs some attention, although it appears that getting help from the sites administrators on this topic seems all the more futile, especially lately, i have not tried to involve myself until now but it appears to me that they are not as impartial as they are trying to convince us recently. But thats another topic i will address in a bit... Anyway, the real problem with a.org lately (and yes there is a problem one wayne) is that if a thread is started that is focused on aos or mos, it os soon poluted by the opposing zealots spewing insults and , i dont mean to say that all mos users are zealots, i pray they are not, but some are, and there are just as many amiga zealots i would imagine. This is the real problem, I keep on saying it, and saying it, and saying it, the bitch fights going on have drawn out any dignity we once had as the pinnacle of electronic communites and left us with a high proportion of shallow, disrespecting users with no compassion and less tact than school yard bullies.

Wayne, or whoever would like to step up to the plate and take responsibility for a.org, there is a problem, for your own sake, i suggest you accept and address it with a little more urgency than you are. Plain and simply, i honestly believe that this site needs the aos community, your not telling them they cant be here, but your certainly showing little effort to make them feel welcome. Perhaps a.org may survive without them, but it surely wont thrive again. I will give an example of what will happen in future should the problem not be addresses...

aos users leave a.org
mos users then are the sole users of a.org
mr newbie looking for aos news comes to a.org from search engine
mr newbie posts thread requesting on aos
mr newbie is flamed to hell and leaves with deep animosity for both aos and mos

In the example there are NO winners, mos doesnt get a new user, aos doesnt get a new user, both are now seem in a bad light, but worst of all, some poor guy or gal had been deprived from what could have been a new computing platform that could have been bliss for there particular needs.

You may be pissed with a-inc now, but chances are hyperion will shine thru, and if you cut yourself off from that community at this early stage then your only doing damage to yourself and all communities. Yes you can of course have mos here, aros here, amithlon here, emulation here etc etc, but without aos??? i dont think even you would deny that it would be detrimental.

Solution? well thats your problem! all we can do is help with suggestions (suggestions being the operative word people, *not* demands) my suggestion.  I guess a small step forward would be to create forums for each solution, eg a aos area and a mos area, where any posts that deter, insult, degrade or troll against the os in focus would be banned. At least both communities could feel a little safety where they can post what they like without having to worry about the other camp lighting fires. I guess it would go for news items comments as well. Having a news item about os features turning into an insult fest really isnt on... Obviously some more thought needs to be put into the right soilution, so i suggest you get started, because im tired. Tired of the constant strain i feel by visiting here.

A message to the mos people that dont want aos people here, I am looking forward aos and support hyperion fully, i will remain at a.org for eternity, no amount of insults will remove me as im far stronger willed and less impressionable than that, and im not alone, so for your own sake, lets start getting along

A message to the aos people that dont want mos people here, read the above paragraph, switch the os's, you get the drift...

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2003, 09:57:30 AM »
Hello teotwin,

I agree with you about the "constant" fights between Amiga and MorphOS supporters.

But did you look in what kind of threads/topics the real fights are?
Most of those threads/topics were more of the imaginative kind. A lot of speculations etc.
Or reactions on statements of bbrv.

I time ago I started the review of my Pegasos (to my delight it's on the frontpage again :-D).
And look how this one turned out to be (to be honest, I was a little bit scared it wouldn´t turn out to stay "clean")!

My feelings are, if someone posts something "real" without assumptions, not making off-topic comments etc., people will have "fun" reading it.
I like to read about other solutions even if I don´t own that particular piece of software or hardware. :-)

We just should check those other topics, the "not-real" ones.
I´m thinking about the G4 modules for MorphOS, also the release date of the new Pegasos II, the double cpu module for A1, ofcourse also the waiting part of OS4, etc.

These kind of topics tends to get heated after a while, because the subject isn´t here yet, so you can speculate, etc.

I think when OS4 is out for public, these fights will be less than at this moment.

Spidey

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2003, 09:59:37 AM »

....we can only hope!

:-)

Raquel and Bill

Offline Spidey

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 10:10:53 AM »
Hi bbrv,

....we can only hope!

Me too!

This market is small already.
It would be best for it if everbody would cooperate.
Ofcourse I'm thinking of a consumers perspective and not from a company's perspective! :-D

But I really think it would be nice if someday a consumer could buy the software MorphOS and run it on his A1 hardware or buy the software OS4 and run it on his Pegasos hardware.

Personally I think the software parties would get more profit if this was the case. :-)

Spidey

Offline teo

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 10:14:45 AM »
@spidey

One thing that disturbs me, is that i now feel that i cannot post speculation and assumptions here without being called a fudder. Eg, I can speculate that aos will go x86 and im be happy with that speculation. Its not fud, you may not like it but its what i look forward to and wish will happen. I have no proof, i have no evidence, i have no supporting facts at all, i have nothing but hope. And if someone were to flame me about my hopes, especially if they call my hope fud, take cover, becuase i will turn ugly damn quick...

Id rather speculate on what could be and keep hope for the future than not express myself and have myself restricted to the moment.

However i agree that speculations can be detrimental, eg speculating the fall of an os. Perhaps the intentions of the person speculationg are the more relevant topic. One thing i see happening is people are focusing too finely on details. They covertely mask there true intentions of malice by picking apart small insignificant aspects of a topic. Its the end usablility of a system that determine its real value, when we get to that point, then you can start arguing the merits of each solution. Until then, your just making yourselves look pathetic. thats not directed at anyone, just a general observation of mine btw

Offline Spidey

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2003, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi teotwin,

"One thing that disturbs me, is that i now feel that i cannot post speculation and assumptions here without being called a fudder...."

To be honest, I feel this too!
So I don´t place it at this moment, perhaps it will change after this thread? :-D

I place my comments/reaction very carefully and phrase it when these are my feelings or opinions.
I see it more and more in topics, that people are stressing the part that it is their assumption/feeling/whatever.
(Just because someone will take a small insignificant and start an off-topic something about it!)

I too would like to see that OS4 would be available for all kinds of hardware!
Perhaps then I'll buy a x86 piece of hardware for me to play with at home! :-)

Spidey

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2003, 10:44:07 AM »
Well, for specific OS4 and MorphOS threads It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a separation in the forums section. For example if a program is compatible with Os3.x it would be in the general forum, but if it's only compatible with OS4 in the OS4 forum... same for MorphOS.

But at the moment I think that it's interesting for both sides to see the threads of the other, because there's not much stuff OS4 or MorphOS only...
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline teo

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2003, 10:53:08 AM »
@Crumb "But at the moment I think that it's interesting for both sides to see the threads of the other, because there's not much stuff OS4 or MorphOS only..." of course, dont *restrict* what people can see and read, what i mean is that anti aos or pro mos posts should not appear in the aos area and vice versa...

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2003, 12:36:34 PM »
@ Spidey

My feelings are, if someone posts something "real" without assumptions, not making off-topic comments etc., people will have "fun" reading it.

I think when OS4 is out for public, these fights will be less than at this moment.

Exactly. I think that whenever Eyetech succeds in bringing the A1 to the market, and Hyperion is ready with their OS4, the situation will become much better. Then the speculations (based on uncertainty) will go away  along with the frustration a lot of people feels about having only promises and announced specifications to discuss. I am sure that things will calm down eventually. I guess we'll see in just another two weeks!  :-P
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2003, 02:04:11 AM »
There is the same problem with AROS as MorphOS, in what forum does it belong?
They doesn´t fit in Emulation, thats for Amithlon/Umilator and UAE and they don´t belong in the AlternativeOS section because thats for QNX, Linux and stuff.
So there should be an Amiga(3.x)CompatibleOS forum for MorphOS and AROS. But i still think those post should be on visible the frontpage.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 13, 2003, 02:25:55 AM »
I think MorphOS needs it's own forum I agree there... that there should be a MorphOS forum. I mean one dedicated to just MorphOS