Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mission StatementII (was: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum)  (Read 10281 times)

Description:

Offline gary_c

• Show all replies
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Re: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum
« on: March 12, 2003, 07:59:34 AM »
but this is AMIGA.ORG not Morf/Peg.org

Right, but "AMIGA" as defined at this web site means relevant to classic Amiga computers and software. "Morf/Peg" are a PPC solution for running classic Amiga software, so they're relevant here, as relevant as, say, the AmigaOS4/AmigaOne. "Amiga" here does not mean "officially connected to the activities of Amiga, Inc." This definition both leaves out obviously relevant news and includes irrelevant topics, as people have been pointing out.

-- gary_c

Offline gary_c

• Show all replies
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Re: Mission StatementII (was: Remove MORFOS/PEG from Main Fourum)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 05:30:21 AM »
HMetal wrote:
"The plan" I was referring to was the blatant advertisting and propaganda (or hijacking if you will) that certain individuals like to use all over topics where it is not only unsolicited but just plain ignorant (to the poster).

I don't agree with your assessment. Let's say someone posts a yes/no question about product A. There are two possible responses: 1) No, or 2) No, but product B, yes. Which of these is more informative? If you are aligned somehow with the company that makes product A, then of course mention of product B is a "hijacking" of the conversation. On the other hand, if you're the person who asked the question, then the "hijacking" is a positive thing -- additional information.

If I go into a store, look at a food mixer, and ask the salesperson "Can this thing whisk?" And the salesperson simply says "no" and walks off, that's not very good service if there's a mixer that can whisk sitting right next to the one I asked about. So in this way, people bringing up MorphOS or Pegasos aren't necessarily out of line even if the topic started out focused more on AmigaOS4/AmigaOne. That's my view, anyway; it's how I'd like things to be if I were the one looking for information.
...someone coming in and tooting their horn, completely off-topic....

Of course if someone does a "blue troll" post in a thread where it's completely irrelevant, that's no good, but I haven't actually seen much of that here. Most of the infamous bbrv posts, for example, come after the subject has already touched on blue territory. And the reason it was in blue territory is that there was some logical connection topic-wise, whether someone making a comparison, contrast, or whatever. Is it really substantive, logical irrelevance that people are seeing, or are they just reacting to the rather aggressive presence of an alternative?

OK, now about that beer....  :-P

-- gary_c