Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your opinion or AROS and why?  (Read 5145 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: What is your opinion or AROS and why?
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Personally I like it for the games and emulators. It gives me an ever stabilizing Amiga esque environment to run my games in, and boy are there a great many ports, some old school some fairly new school. So if it were not for the developers and their willingness to port the projects we request, then I would not be using it.

Reason being is that regardless if the fact that the graphics drivers are capable of running things like DOOM 3, they still lack majorly in basic usability.

Further more the OS itself is not quite up to par with OS 3.9 standards, which despite my love for games, should be a top priority! Copy's is nice and all, but it should not need to be used as a crutch because developers want to focus want prioritize other aspects before basic OS usability.

Likewise there really are not too many day to day use type apps that AROS has, and of those it dies have many of them are very limited to their commercial counter parts on other OS', classic Amiga included.

Now you might suggest UAE as a solution but honestly I can't say my experiences with UAE have been anywhere as fluid and Amiga like as running apps on a real Amiga, Amithlon, or MorphOS (which does happen to be very polished under the hood).

I think with the Magellan II project that hope is on the way, and I'm sure that the graphics drivers may some day be free of all the full screen and Artifacting bugs that have plagued it for so long, and eventually it will catch up with OS 3.9 (yes it has surpassed it in some ways sure), and eventually web MorphOS, but until then...

It's just my quirky Amiga like gaming machine and I do love it for that! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
Very true. Hopefully it'll never die and will only continue to get better!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;699494
Sorry, I don't understand.

Copy = Dopus

Damn iPod. :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »
Iggy: Give it five or ten years, and I think you will be right.

Five if they refocus their priorities to making the OS capable of doing everything OS 3.9 can (at the very least) and getting those graphics driver issues resolved.

Ten if they focus on "neat hacks" to get by and impress, only to have to go back and flesh out bugs for the sake of stability and compatability at a later date.

Either way, if the momentum does not die, AROS is here to stay and will only get better so long as the spirit of Amiga is kept at hand.