Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux Swap driving me nuts  (Read 1459 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Linux Swap driving me nuts
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 19, 2004, 02:57:51 PM »

mdma wrote:
@Red

How'd you get on with this, did you get the read error sorted from the floppy after you got swapon to function correctly?

Or did you try one of the other distros?

Well i brought home a different laptop from the shop. This one a 166Mhz w/80MB RAM, and a new 3GB HD. I manually configured 3 partitions(w BootE 1 disk distro) swith a HDAB as a 256MB swap. With this setup everything is kosher, more or less, and even accepts the swap, until setup gets further. Unfolrtunately I hit a bunch of new snags. First the setup gets dog ass slow. I litterally mean SLOW. Can take 3-4 hourse between steps. All HD activity, apparently beating that swap space as ram. I suspect DMA is not working at this point:-( Then I get to the review just before install, and it recomends a bunch of repartitioning but complains about a lack of available space for a minimal install. I tried to select to manually change it, but the speed (or rather lack thereof) put me off. I gave up after ~24 hours.

This laptop a bad candidate for SUSE as is. I'm gonna scrounge the shop and set one up with CD drive and slightly better system resources. I'll keep one or 2 old ones arround and make a search for a good minimalist distro. All i really need is a text console with basic networking services and some internet software such as FTP, IRC, Lynx etc. All text based. Ideas?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline patrik

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »
@Redrumloa:

You should seriously consider Debian, it does not have quite the same high requirements for the install. I also will allow you to do a networked install. Though you will ofcourse need the boot-floppies or boot-cd to get it booted first.

/Patrik

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 05:57:03 PM »

All i really need is a text console with basic networking services and some internet software such as FTP, IRC, Lynx etc. All text based. Ideas?

Then what you need is muLinux

YOu can't get much more minimal! :-)

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
Update:
I went to the local computer show(swap meet/flea market) and purchased a FIC Sahara 3810 Terminal for $60. It's TINY, 500Mhz Celery processor and I threw 384MB ram and a 20GB HD into it. I'm setting it up ATM. After it's set up I'll hide it off somewhere. It'll be a dedicated slave to the C128D as a HD and internet services. Stay tuned..

Oh yeah, I'm still going to tinker with a minimalist instal on one of these laptops when I get a chance..
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!