Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The First Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition  (Read 17473 times)

Description:

Offline CammyTopic starter

Re: The First Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 18, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »
Wow, I'm happy to see more people joining in!

I think the best idea for now would be for each contestant to upload their finished game to their own space and private message me with a link to the download, or send me an email with the game as an attachment. I will then upload them all to the Amiga Christmas Tree Website, which I am in the process of updating for this year. The website is here - http://amigachristmastree.condor.serverpro3.com - but at the moment it's still showing last year's page. I intend to replace it with the new one soon!

All entries should be provided as either an LHA archive that can be extracted and run from Workbench, or as an ADF file that can be written back to floppy or run in an emulator. A burnable ISO image for CDTV or CD32 would be fine too. Please provide a ReadMe file with your entry to explain what the game is about and how you made it, this should help people make a fair choice when voting for the games. If you have used any ripped graphics, sound or music please credit your sources, and let us know which language or game maker you used to create the game.

After the new Amiga Christmas Tree page is uploaded, I'll post all new information about the contest there, as well as replying to anyone on the forums. I can be contacted through PM on this forum, or through MSN or email (both are the same address) which you can find out on my profile. Also, if anyone would just like to chat about Amiga stuff, feel free to add me to MSN (I use AmiMSN on my A1200 and SabreMSN on my Aros laptop).

Merry Christmas, and good luck everyone!
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;534328

I think the best idea for now would be for each contestant to upload their finished game to their own space and private message me with a link to the download, or send me an email with the game

I think it would be a better idea to upload them to Aminet, because this way you're going to reach people that are not visiting forums as regularly as you or me - forum addicts are actually a minority in the community. Just make sure the readme for each upload starts with a paragraph about this game being part of a competition, a link to the competition website etc.

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »
cgutjahr, this is quite a good idea too! The only reason I didn't choose Aminet for the place to upload everyones files is because they can sometimes take over a day to approve new uploads before they appear on the Recent page, and if some people were to try uploading their entries at the last minute they would certainly miss the deadline.

I recommend everyone to upload their game to Aminet, mentioning the contest and the URL for the Amiga Christmas Tree website in their ReadMe file, since you will definitely reach a larger audience there, but it would also be advisable to find an alternative place to upload your file or send it to me in case it doesn't appear on Aminet soon enough.

I would like to host all the entries in one list on the Amiga Christmas Tree website for easy access, but uploading your games to Aminet as well is no problem at all. The more exposure the better!
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad

Get AmigaOS

Offline leszeka33

• Show only replies by leszeka33
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
So if I get out my Amiga 1200 from the basement, I had to bother with diskettes? Even if I have a hard drive in my Amiga 1200? In 2009? Games on the floppy disk should not be accepted in this contest.

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »
@leszeka33:  Doesn't sound like you'd be willing to get your 1200 out of the basement either way.   And it's not that big of a deal to make a disk is it?  Takes 30 seconds of your time to check out something that probably took days to produce?

@cammy: Good job on organizing this contest. Wish I had more time to whip something up.

I look forward to testing out everyone's efforts.  Happy Holidays!
500, 1200, 4000T

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:04 AM »
Thanks, Moto! :)

Get AmigaOS

Offline selur

• Show only replies by selur
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »
Good luck with this contest.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
Hey Selur, good to see you here, man. I finally got around to starting on my own entry last night, so I'm going to be hard pressed to get something made by Christmas, but I'm going to try anyway.

I saw that someone was working on an entry using Scala to make a point & click adventure game of some type. That's something I always thought would work quite well, something like Myst but using photos taken with a digital camera would be easy enough to whip up in a couple of days. Take a photo of a room, then take photos closer to each main object in the room, take a photo of a table with some objects of it, then take one without the objects. Now you can compile it so the table has a collectable item on it.

I REALLY hope someone is trying to make an entry with SEUCK, I love that program. It was my first Amiga game maker, other than editing my pointer in Workbench and drawing icons and trying to customise Workbench into a game of some sort. It didn't work, but at least I got practice pixelling low-colour sprites.
Amiga user forever.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 03:16:50 AM »
Quote from: leszeka33;534394
So if I get out my Amiga 1200 from the basement, I had to bother with diskettes? Even if I have a hard drive in my Amiga 1200? In 2009? Games on the floppy disk should not be accepted in this contest.

That is just plain stupid remark.  This game contest has rules to help allow all of the games submitted to be played on as many different models of Amigas as possible and there are thousands out there that still don't have hard drives and still get used once in a while for retro gaming.  Not allowing any games to be floppy disk based would prevent them from enjoying this game competition.

Also, how do most people with old Classic Amigas get files to their Amigas if they are not networked in some way to a PC, or the Internet?  Usually by floppy disks.

Edit:  Sorry for jumping hard on someone that doesn't, or hasn't posted much here.  Please do not let my harsh criticism of your posting make you think twice before posting again.  All opinions are welcome here (just some are welcomed less than others ;-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:21:52 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline leszeka33

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;534529
That is just plain stupid remark.  This game contest has rules to help allow all of the games submitted to be played on as many different models of Amigas as possible and there are thousands out there that still don't have hard drives and still get used once in a while for retro gaming.  
Used harddrives are cheap and widely available.
Used cd also are cheap and widely available.
CF2IDE adapters also are cheap and widely available.
Not allowing any games to be floppy disk based would prevent them from enjoying this game competition.

Buy CF2IDE adapter,with a CF card. You'll see how easy and fun, you can transfer data between the Amiga and PC.
Also, how do most people with old Classic Amigas get files to their Amigas if they are not networked in some way to a PC, or the Internet?  Usually by floppy disks.
Mainly by CD that are faster than floppy disk.
Very comfortable way to transfer data, it is also CF2IDE adapter,with a CF card.

This contest is named in the Amiga.  
This is oblige.  
Poorly written software should be excluded.  
Prohibition of use of floppy disk is in the best way.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
Quote from: leszeka33;534545

Poorly written software should be excluded.  
Prohibition of use of floppy disk is in the best way.

The most ignorant statement I heard today. Look, if you don't agree with the contest rules, go away and set up your own contest somewhere else.

Kudos to everyone involved in organising and participating/contributing in this contest!

Offline leszeka33

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 03:17:45 PM »
Quote from: cpfuture;534548
Kudos to everyone involved in organising and participating/contributing in this contest!
For what?

For promoting the production of software which will have a problem with the operation of even the hard disk?
If you have to do such a thing is better not to do anything.
In 2009, the software should be made to work under the Amiga operating system.
Besides there should be restrictions on ECS, AGA.
Anyone can use the software that uses 24-bit graphics on WinUAE.

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »
@les:  Dude, you need to lay off the hater-aid and find some joy in your life.
500, 1200, 4000T

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
For what?

For promoting the production of software which will have a problem with the operation of even the hard disk?
If you have to do such a thing is better not to do anything.
In 2009, the software should be made to work under the Amiga operating system.
Besides there should be restrictions on ECS, AGA.
Anyone can use the software that uses 24-bit graphics on WinUAE.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Offline leszeka33

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Quote from: cpfuture;534577
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz???

Offline selur

• Show only replies by selur
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 07:21:08 PM »
Quote from: leszeka33;534394
So if I get out my Amiga 1200 from the basement, I had to ..

Cmon man...  maybe you should go back to basement with J.Rambo and think it all over again, for a very long time ! :hammer: