Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About: Mac on an Amiga  (Read 6235 times)

Description:

Offline soldeed

• Show all replies
Re: About: Mac on an Amiga
« on: February 24, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
Are you asking about OSX? I'd be happy to tell ya about it! I just happen to use it!
You may not have noticed, but apple has built a completely new operating system from scratch. OSX (X-pronunced"Ten") Is based on UNIX and runs on almost any MAC with a G3 processor or better. It comes with the totally superginchy iLife suite of applications;  itunes, (ipod sold seperately) iphoto,imovie, iDVD, and garage band. go to the Apple OSX site to learn about OSX.  Personally, I find it's pretty much bulletproof.  I surf the net fearlessly with no worries about trojans, worms, virii, spyware.ect.  It's UNIX underpinnings make it more secure against online attacks. You're pretty much secure behind corporate firewalls anyway (which often also run on UNIX (Apache, SUN servers) but If you use a Mac in a public/buisness enviroment, set your Administrator name and password, and never leave your mac unattended logged in.
Sadly I don't believe it's possible to run OSX on an Amiga.  BUT- It may be possible to run Amiga on a mac. That's what I would like to do.
I think If you use Yellow dog linux, you could run Amiga anywhere on top of that. Amiga anywhere does not seem to be available for sale right now. Much cooler would be an OSX port of Amiga OS that would run with OSX the way that the classic Mac enviroment (pre OSX) does.  Frankly it puzzles why there Isn't one. (as far as I know)  Imagine,  just launch the Amiga bouncing ball Icon from the Dock, (which is cool because programs in the dock actually bounce when you launch them) and BAM! there's an Amiga on your MAC desktop!  I was trying to get my dead A1200 ressurected, but I think I'm going to explore the Amiga on Mac route instead. I'm hoping to recover me ol'  Amigas' disk image off the hard drive (which may still work) and run it on my Mac. IMHO that would be awfully cool!   If anyone as used Amiga on a mac  and knows of such things, I would appreciate advice you may wish to share. (particularly of the "I wish I'd known that before" variety.

Offline soldeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 10:10:22 AM »
Oh! the processors! I forgot to mention those!
Mac OSX runs on G3 and G4 (Motorola/Freescale) and G5  (IBM) Power PC processors which makes it an ideal Candidate for porting. Amiga OS would run insanely fast on a modern Mac!

Offline soldeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:30:25 PM »
I'm sure Amiga OS on top of Linux on a mac is kludgy. But what if an Amiga emulator were written as a a native OSX app, or just as a UNIX app? I don't think there's anything stopping anyone writing one. Macs can run OSX and the classic OS9 enviroment at the same time without breathing hard. I can' t imagine a well written native Amiga emulator for the OSX enviroment, being smaller and less demanding than even OS9, would not  get along splendidly on a Mac. Don't tell me there is no demand for it either. Many Mac users (like me!) are former Amiga users and would love to have Amiga in their docks. And the more platforms that run Amiga, the more assured it's survival.  

Offline soldeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:45:23 PM »
To lierbag28;
OSX can run on Amiga? Well if thats the case, I stand corrected. However I can't understand whats so hard about going the other way. I have a Mac G4 1.25 ghz that I'll be paying for for another 2 years. Not to mention the fact I live in a small apartment without a lot of room for new computers, so I'm not really interested in an Amiga one. I want Amiga on my Mac ported natively so I can play Frontier elite again. Windows and Linux users have that.(Well not them either for the time being-As I mentioned in my original post Amiga anywhere seems not to be available currently. Whats up with that?)

Offline soldeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 06:40:20 AM »
Thank you very nuch! That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!