Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terrasoft sell Teron CX  (Read 2926 times)

Description:

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
Re: Terrasoft sell Teron CX
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 10:13:12 PM »
Sorry, double post.   :-P
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 11:38:16 PM »
Good to see another PPC based white box.

Realistically, with employment of Linux as the OS, they may have to compete with the rest of Linux (X86) based solutions.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2002, 12:10:50 AM »

But this makes me think that the AmigaOne (or the Pegasos) is just like this new PPC platform : nothing original.

Nothing wrong  with multiple HW platform distributions.

Just take a PC and replace the x86 compatible and some electronic chips and you get it.

It worked with X86 world. Why not fight clones with clones?

When Amiga came out in the 80's the hardware was so interesting. I'd like to see a computer with some kind of terrific hardware again.

Well, during middle 80s you don’t have nVidia style companies…

At present we only get interesting hardware in game consoles. But they remain consoles !

They not remain consoles for most part.

I recall X-Box's GPU (NV2A) was a variant of Geforce3(NV20). Nvidia’s nForce1/2 chipset is a variant of X-BOX’s chipset, which also designed by nVidia.

Nintendo Game Cube’s VPU is being supplied by ATI (ArtX based chip, comparable to DirectX 7 class).
ATI’s Radon series (DirectX 8/9 class) would considered superior compared to ATI/ArtX’s VPU chip.  

Most of today’s leading edge console graphics technologies are being powered by the giant desktop graphics providers (mostly from X86 world e.g. ATI and nVidia).

Offline Hammer

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2002, 12:16:33 AM »

AmigaOS users are not allowed to choose their hardware vendors freely.

Technically, AmigaOS users are allowed to choose their _licensed_ hardware vendors freely.

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2002, 12:49:24 AM »
But this makes me think that the AmigaOne (or the Pegasos) is just like this new PPC platform : nothing original. Just take a PC and replace the x86 compatible and some electronic chips and you get it.

You mean just like apple? Just a mobo with PC cards and a PPC cpu instead an x86... I guess It`s not Mac anymore eh? Or it is because of the fancy case and the new Amigas wont be Amigas cause will have just another ordinary grey case (just like most A1200 tower systems)?

Is it an Amiga for you an A1200 on a PC tower with  PC slots like PCI which have a PC gfx card, a PC sound card and a PC ethernet card? Oh and if it has also a BlizzardPPC instead of only a 68k? I guess not...

The new Amiga just another PPC platform... was A1000 just another 68k platform?

(Ah but we had custom chips!! Do you have a company with the know-how and the capital to make new custom chips that will be better that the nVidia and ATI GPUs? And even if Amiga had all these things.. in 6 months would be crap their custom chips) (BTW I haven`t seen an AGA screen for years since I don`t have a scan doubler. Doh! so that means I haven`t used an Amiga all these years!) (You`d say I should use the dblpal screenmode and drop my GFX card lol)

The important thing for me would be if that mobo could run AmigaOS (competition=lower prices, more choices)
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline jtsiren

• Show only replies by jtsiren
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2002, 05:21:56 AM »
> The new Amiga just another PPC platform... was A1000 just another 68k platform?

Yes, the new Amiga is just another PPC platform.

No, the A1000 was not "just another" 68k platform.

The AmigaOne is based on standard parts and a licensed motherboard that was designed to do something entirely else (than to be an "Amiga") originally.

The A1000 was a custom-designed motherboard and machine with the entire design, including motherboard layout and machine casing, designed for just the A1000. But more importantly, and this separates it from being "just another" 68k platform, it had custom chips designed for it and only for it.

And please, spare me the "doing new custom chips would be impossibly expensive"... I know, and I agree - at least for the most part, meaning stuff like 3D chips etc (perhaps there could be one or two special custom chips for something in particular, but that's another story). That has got nothing to do with defining what the new Amiga is.

No matter what the reason, there is nothing, hardware-wise, separating "the new Amiga" from being just another PPC platform. It is nothing special. All parts are standard, licensed from elsewhere, as is the entire design. Unlike Apple, it doesn't even have a case design of its own. The only thing that makes a difference is the software.

The hardware is clearly just another PPC platform. And, I guess if we forget the artifical limitation of the dongle codes, that makes AmigaOS just another PPC operating system instead of being an operating system for "Amigas".

Offline Fot

• Show only replies by Fot
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2002, 05:48:47 AM »
All parts are standard, licensed from elsewhere, as is the entire design. Unlike Apple, it doesn't even have a case design of its own. The only thing that makes a difference is the software.

What's wrong with that? Aren't standards a good thing?  So, Apple Mac's have a nice case. Looks may be important to some computer buyers but not me.

As a user would I want another custom Amiga audio/ video chipset? No, thanks. The SB Live and AGP ATI video cards are fine for me.

Would I want a custom keyboard, mouse, floppy drive controller? No, thanks.

The fact that the AmigaOS is moving to a standards based motherboard that can be fitted with common parts IMO is a good thing.

Should the AmigaONE design be similar to the Amiga classics that used proprietary system boards, cases, power supplies, chipsets, floppy drives, expansion slots, keyboards, mice, monitors, memory, etc...?

Offline jtsiren

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2002, 05:53:36 AM »
>What's wrong with that? Aren't standards a good thing? So, Apple Mac's have a nice case. Looks may be important to some computer buyers but not me.

Please re-read what I wrote. I dedicated an entire chapter after that one rebutting this particular claim.

This was not about right and wrong. There is nothing, per se, wrong with AmigaOne using standard parts.

All I claimed is that that makes it "just another" PPC platform.

"Amiga" used to be a hardware platform of its own. Now it (or more precisely AmigaOne) is not.

AmigaOne is not a hardware platform of its own, but a standard, licensed PPC motherboard.

Again, not about right and wrong, or saying whether this is good or bad...

Just saying it like it is.

Just another PPC platform.

Offline Fot

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2002, 07:23:15 AM »
My apologies,

I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Offline jtsiren

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2002, 07:42:18 AM »
>I misunderstood the point your were trying to make.

No problem. :) I'm glad we are in agreement.

Offline Dagon

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2002, 08:28:09 AM »
The point was that in order to be an Amiga doesn`t need to have custom chips. AmigaOne/Pegasos are Amigas exactly the same way as a MacG4 is an Apple.
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Fot

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2002, 08:46:21 AM »
no worries.

Katalaba... eimai ligo argostrofos :-)

Offline Dagon

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2002, 08:53:11 AM »
OT: ! Megalwses h` metanasteuses sthn Australia?! :-)
Eimaste pantou telika :-D

Offline Darken

• Show only replies by Darken
    • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/psydk
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2002, 08:59:24 AM »
A custom chipset does not have to be built by the same company who designs the computer. For example the X-Box uses a nVidia chip or the Game Cube an ATI.

But what's exciting with this is that the hardware is fixed and it's powerfull hardware. Moreover on the X-Box you get shared memory which allows so many optimization tricks (just benchmark a main memory to video memory copy on PC and cry as it is so slooow).

When a company sells a game for a console, they do not label on the package with stuff like "this game needs this or that hardware". They just label it "X-Box game" or "Game Cube game". No wrong hardware, no wrong driver... You put it in your box, and it works.

That was really a nice thing with the Amiga. You just had to put "Amiga software" on the package and you were about 100% sure it would work on your Amiga.

I've been programming many years now on PC, and I don't count the times I had to correct "compatibility" problems in my softwares, or deal with users why the software could have troubles on their PC :

"Oh yes, for running this software  featuring high quality real time 3D you NEED a 3D card"

"No, it won't work with your old 2 Mb 3D card"

"Oh, well, I code with an nVidia card, I don't really support ATI cards but it will work, it's just the program won't be as fast as on an nVidia one"

"Your sound card doesn't support hardware channel mixing so you will have to install DirectSound on your computer to make it work"

"Oh, well, it seems that the high resolution timer interface on your PC is not working properly. It might be a problem with your motherboard. First time I see this..."

I'm afraid it will be the same with the new Amiga. One of the great advantage of the old Amigas : "the plug and use concept" will be lost. With consoles if a piece of software works on the developer platform, let's say a Game Cube, it will work on ALL other Game Cube of the world. Something quite impossible on PC. Something lost for the Amiga :-(

Offline Dagon

« Reply #28 from previous page: December 04, 2002, 09:36:13 AM »
Yes but Amiga was never a game console (only in the eyes of its enemies) It is a computer, and from A3000 and beyond it didn`t have a standard hardware. It used graphics cards, soundcards etc, it had a variety of 68k cpus and speeds etc.

The only difference now is that those cards aren`t made for Amiga computers only but for a variety of computers by very specialized companies in this or that sector.

This way your computer is modular and you don`t have to throw it if you want to update lets say its graphic chip after 6 months.