Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terrasoft sell Teron CX  (Read 2976 times)

Description:

Offline jtsiren

• Show all replies
Re: Terrasoft sell Teron CX
« on: December 04, 2002, 05:21:56 AM »
> The new Amiga just another PPC platform... was A1000 just another 68k platform?

Yes, the new Amiga is just another PPC platform.

No, the A1000 was not "just another" 68k platform.

The AmigaOne is based on standard parts and a licensed motherboard that was designed to do something entirely else (than to be an "Amiga") originally.

The A1000 was a custom-designed motherboard and machine with the entire design, including motherboard layout and machine casing, designed for just the A1000. But more importantly, and this separates it from being "just another" 68k platform, it had custom chips designed for it and only for it.

And please, spare me the "doing new custom chips would be impossibly expensive"... I know, and I agree - at least for the most part, meaning stuff like 3D chips etc (perhaps there could be one or two special custom chips for something in particular, but that's another story). That has got nothing to do with defining what the new Amiga is.

No matter what the reason, there is nothing, hardware-wise, separating "the new Amiga" from being just another PPC platform. It is nothing special. All parts are standard, licensed from elsewhere, as is the entire design. Unlike Apple, it doesn't even have a case design of its own. The only thing that makes a difference is the software.

The hardware is clearly just another PPC platform. And, I guess if we forget the artifical limitation of the dongle codes, that makes AmigaOS just another PPC operating system instead of being an operating system for "Amigas".

Offline jtsiren

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 05:53:36 AM »
>What's wrong with that? Aren't standards a good thing? So, Apple Mac's have a nice case. Looks may be important to some computer buyers but not me.

Please re-read what I wrote. I dedicated an entire chapter after that one rebutting this particular claim.

This was not about right and wrong. There is nothing, per se, wrong with AmigaOne using standard parts.

All I claimed is that that makes it "just another" PPC platform.

"Amiga" used to be a hardware platform of its own. Now it (or more precisely AmigaOne) is not.

AmigaOne is not a hardware platform of its own, but a standard, licensed PPC motherboard.

Again, not about right and wrong, or saying whether this is good or bad...

Just saying it like it is.

Just another PPC platform.

Offline jtsiren

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 07:42:18 AM »
>I misunderstood the point your were trying to make.

No problem. :) I'm glad we are in agreement.