Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terrasoft sell Teron CX  (Read 2967 times)

Description:

Offline anarchic_teapotTopic starter

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
Terrasoft sell Teron CX
« on: December 03, 2002, 09:38:45 AM »
Terrasoft have just announced they'll be selling the G3 Teron CX board with YDL.

Pricing similar to the AmigaOne, but graphics support in Linux limited to AGP 128 Rage Pro.

AT

Offline AmigaMac

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
Re: Terrasoft sell Teron CX
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 11:33:42 AM »
Yeah, I agree that graphics support is alittle weak!  It's great to see another PPC motherboard on the market though!

Offline Darken

• Show only replies by Darken
    • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/psydk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 11:56:05 AM »
Of course it's great to see another PowerPC platform. Actually as a developer I really like this processor.

But this makes me think that the AmigaOne (or the Pegasos) is just like this new PPC platform : nothing original. Just take a PC and replace the x86 compatible and some electronic chips and you get it.

When Amiga came out in the 80's the hardware was so interesting. I'd like to see a computer with some kind of terrific hardware again. At present we only get interesting hardware in game consoles. But they remain consoles !

Offline AmigaMac

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 12:03:02 PM »
But this makes me think that the AmigaOne (or the Pegasos) is just like this new PPC platform : nothing original. Just take a PC and replace the x86 compatible and some electronic chips and you get it.

Yeah true, but I am glad to see more and more support for PPC where desktop computing is concerned... maybe this will open the doors of opportunity once again for PowerPC (beyond all things Mac).

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 12:11:25 PM »
Yeah true, but I am glad to see more and more support for PPC where desktop computing is concerned... maybe this will open the doors of opportunity once again for PowerPC (beyond all things Mac).

Same here.  It would be more than it is now if Steve Jobs had not killed the Mac compatables just when they were starting to really take off.  The competition was really heating up then.  I hope to see that same type of explosion with Amiga compatables this time around.  There were at least 10 or so companies that were producing official Mac clones.  If we got half that many then it would be great.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline AmigaMac

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 12:19:30 PM »
I hope to see that same type of explosion with Amiga compatables this time around. There were at least 10 or so companies that were producing official Mac clones. If we got half that many then it would be great.

Well I guess as long as Amiga Inc. is willing to play, then these companies building PowerPC solutions for the desktop can take advantage of the Amiga market, being AOS and/or MOS!

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 02:07:31 PM »
Pricing similar to the AmigaOne, but graphics support in Linux limited to AGP 128 Rage Pro.

How about pricing is NOT similar to AmigaOne, but is in fact much better.  $499 for TeronCX from Terrasoft, $599 for AmigaOne from Softhut, I think it $575 from compu-quick....is there a cheaper dealer somewhere?   Where do you get similar pricing, I see a $100 premium for an AmigaOne.    Oh well, different perspectives...

YDL supports rage 128....it doesn't limit someone to the rage 128.  I don't like the wording, cause it almost implies that the AOne hardware supports more graphics cards than the TeronCX, which of course, is not true....but it is an accurate thing to say, that since YDL is an operating system, until they officially support more cards, then they don't support a lot of cards...smiles.

Just like unreleased OS's don't really support any cards.

:-D

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 02:34:07 PM »
I see a $100 premium for an AmigaOne.

different perspectives indeed. I see you paying $100 for AmigaOS 4 :-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline Wilse

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 02:43:04 PM »
How about pricing is NOT similar to AmigaOne, but is in fact much better.

Go and buy one then.

I see a $100 premium for an AmigaOne.

So? :-?

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 03:00:08 PM »
It almost sounds as if some people think the Teron CX's sold via different distributors (like Eyetech and Terrasoft) are different. "Amiga compatibles"? "Another PPC motherboard"? It's the same motherboard.

And what's this supposed to mean: "Pricing similar to the AmigaOne, but graphics support in Linux limited to AGP 128 Rage Pro"? Whatever drivers exist in Linux naturally run under Linux regardless of whom you buy a motherboard from!

Included in the $500 is of course Yellow Dog Linux, which otherwise costs $60 when bought directly from Terrasoft, including 2 months installation support ($30 with "normal" support).

Unless the distribution policies for AmigaOS are changed, it's all moot anyway, AmigaOS users are not allowed to choose their hardware vendors freely. Like I've said, the market for one piece of hardware has been turned into two separate markets - "hardware allowed to be bought by AmigaOS users" and "hardware for everyone else".
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 07:42:27 PM »
How about pricing is NOT similar to AmigaOne, but is in fact much better. $499 for TeronCX from Terrasoft, $599 for AmigaOne from Softhut, I think it $575 from compu-quick....

How about, the TeronCX as sold by Terrasoft in the US (remember, Eyetech are the Teron distributors for Europe) has a VIA686A (UDMA66) southbridge, whereas the AmigaOne has the faster VIA686B.

Eyetech has just stated on the Amigaone mailing list that the Linux-only mobos will be sold slightly cheaper than the AmigaOne G3SE. Which goes to show that Amiga-compatibility is worth something, after all. ;-)

Me, for the difference I'd take an AmigaOne every time.

Oh, but I have, haven't I?  :-D
AT

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 08:17:18 PM »
How about, the TeronCX as sold by Terrasoft in the US (remember, Eyetech are the Teron distributors for Europe) has a VIA686A (UDMA66) southbridge, whereas the AmigaOne has the faster VIA686B.

No. Both Terrasoft and Eyetech are distributors of the "consumer revision" Teron CX, which is equipped with the 686B.

Eyetech has just stated on the Amigaone mailing list that the Linux-only mobos will be sold slightly cheaper than the AmigaOne G3SE. Which goes to show that Amiga-compatibility is worth something, after all.

I'd hope it's because the bundled AmigaOS is worth something... ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 09:34:51 PM »
No. Both Terrasoft and Eyetech are distributors of the "consumer revision" Teron CX, which is equipped with the 686B.

Wrong.
AT

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 10:13:11 PM »

Well, actually, the Terrasoft site says it has ATA100 onboard, so that would be the same southbridge as the A1.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 10:13:12 PM »
Sorry, double post.   :-P