Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 8383 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 17, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;696602
Isn't there an Android port for one of the Nokia devices you mentioned?  I know that isn't what you bought it for, but it's nice to have that option just in case.  Dual booting might be an option.

Yeah, both of them have a semi-working port of Ice Cream Sandwich.  Due to some of the few closed off bits, they haven't quite gotten calls to work.  So while I could run Android software when dual-booted, I couldn't make or receive calls.

Hopefully the OpenMobile's ACL gets released (they say they are working on it) and then I could run all the Linux stuff, Qt stuff, AND the Android software.  Without actually having to run Android, which I don't really like.

It'd be like having an Amiga that runs all the Windows software :D  Then again, I think an Amiga that did that would probably require 4GB of ram or more as well.

Then again, being able to use a quick OS that is more open, and tweakable (my N9 came with grep!) is far more important to me than all the applications.  

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
Well, I was even called "Stupid", right?
Looks like more analysts are becoming "Stupid". Even Gizmodo.

http://gizmodo.com/5919428/what-is-the-microsoft-surface
http://gizmodo.com/5919459/hands-on-with-microsoft-surface-for-windows-rt

So. Yes. It's awesome. It's going to be fantastic. Google had better step things up at IO, because this Windows RT tablet is far more impressive than any shipping Android tablet I've ever seen. It's a clear rival to the iPad. Or at least, so it seems. We'll see. Can't wait for Fall.

Sooo, stupid!!!

It's a super solid device and if Microsoft can deliver what it demoed, the iPad finally has a real competitor and Android has a big ******* problem.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
ohhh, not to mention that the Ivy Bridge version might run Winuae. Which you could use with your finger.

I would strongly suggest MorphOS and AROS team to focus on porting their systems (full support including wifi) to one of the two versions of the tablet...
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »
People also called the Zune, the Kin, and various other MS hardware devices "fantastic" and "revolutionary", lol.  Listening to tech bloggers give praise to devices and actually putting stock into it is absolutely insane.  I lost interest in the MS press event today when the words "also can use a touch pen/stylus!".  These are the same people that claimed the Newton would revolutionize the free world.

We'll have to wait and see if the new windows tablets gains any foothold in the modern market - I suspect it's simply too little, too late.  The x86 ones will cost as much as an Ultrabook, the Win 8 RT ones will be crippled for enterprise use (no AD support, among other things).

Windows tablets have not gained any ground at all, even pre iPad days they were entirely shunned by people.  I simply cannot see them gaining much ground in this age where everyone has a tablet out - the price point on the ones that can actually do "full" computing tasks is simply too high.  Windows XP tablet edition was released TEN years ago, and people rejected it in a major way.

I do have to admit though, that keyboard/cover deal is a pretty unique idea, but in the same breath, if I'm using something that is best used with a keyboard, I'll get an ultrabook or Air to start with.  If I had to add a bluetooth keyboard to my iPad to get best usage out of it, I would have just bought a full fledged laptop.  

I simply don't see what the MS tablets are offering that's terribly new, or otherwise worth considering changing over from another current tablet offering.  Have been able to buy Windows tablets at any best buy for 10 years and people avoided them like grim death.  And yes, I have used Windows 8 on a modern x86 tablet.  It sucked.  Bad.

Curious to see what the real world battery life is on the Ivybridge tablets - if it's crappy they are dead in the water already.  The tablet market is dominated by tablets that have no probs getting 10+ hours per full charge, so hopefully the MS ones will compare.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:55:58 PM by Duce »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
Quote from: Duce;696989
Curious to see what the real world battery life is on the Ivybridge tablets - if it's crappy they are dead in the water already. The tablet market is dominated by tablets that have no probs getting 10+ hours per full charge, so hopefully the MS ones will compare.

Battery life is not necessarily that relevant with wireless charging, most people don't use a tablet for 10+ hours at a time. People buy i5 laptops that don't last that long.

The past has shown that people will accept a product that is inferior in some respects if it is superior in others. In some cases the superiority is only better marketing.

I wouldn't buy an ipad, but I might buy one of these. It depends on the price and how robust it is.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696984
ohhh, not to mention that the Ivy Bridge version might run Winuae. Which you could use with your finger.
Hahaha, are you serious. Emulate a computer with a full keyboard, mouse, and joystick, on a touch screen? Tablets and smartphones suck bad enough for emulating simple game consoles (it's one of the chief complaints I hear even from my tablet-evangelist coworkers.) It's not like there's something magical about Ivy Bridge that's going to make it more usable than it is on Android.

Quote from: Duce;696989
People also called the Zune, the Kin, and various other MS hardware devices "fantastic" and "revolutionary", lol. Listening to tech bloggers give praise to devices and actually putting stock into it is absolutely insane. I lost interest in the MS press event today when the words "also can use a touch pen/stylus!". These are the same people that claimed the Newton would revolutionize the free world.
Not to mention the same people that were drooling over Microsoft's early ideas of OMG SOME DAY YOU CAN HAVE A TABLE THAT'S A COMPUTER, or that stupid kinetic desktop demo where having your icons bump into each other and knock each other over was somehow revolutionary. Sound judges of practical value, they ain't.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;697013
Hahaha, are you serious. Emulate a computer with a full keyboard, mouse, and joystick, on a touch screen? Tablets and smartphones suck bad enough for emulating simple game consoles (it's one of the chief complaints I hear even from my tablet-evangelist coworkers.) It's not like there's something magical about Ivy Bridge that's going to make it more usable than it is on Android.

Using Workbench emulated with Winuae with a touch screen could be cool.
I agree with the touch controls for games that were not designed for it.
Floating d-pads & buttons are really horrible. Speedball II at the iPhone is kind-of-cool, but...

Absolutely nothing related with Windows vs Android.

and, for your information, I don't even like Laptops! I'm a desktop guy: Big Box, Big Monitors, Large Keyboard, Mouse and etc...

...But I can see myself using that surface over iPads. Never considered an Android tablet.
I have my Desktop and several laptops to play with different operating systems.

For productivity, nothing beats Windows.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I read the Gizmodo "review". At first I thought it was just more MS sycophancy, then I read this:

But the Surface's cover also doubles as a full, extremely thin keyboard and multitouch trackpad, whereas the iPad's is just... a cover. This is a brilliant move on Microsoft's part—one of the most clever things it's ever squeezed out, and something that instantly makes Surface one of the most exciting devices we've eyed in some time.

If the fact that it has a cover with a keyboard built in is the most exciting thing in the world, ever to them, then they're obviously not interested in the same things as I am.

Forget battery life, forget power and compatibility, you can forget about the display, the smoothness of the OS - the point is it has a keyboard in the cover.

Obviously their list of priorities is different to mine.

Plus I seem to remember Gizmodo always tend to wax lyrical about MS products don't they?

Personally, I'll stick to non-MS devices if they're better. Yes - even if they don't have a keyboard built into the cover.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;697031
I read the Gizmodo "review". At first I thought it was just more MS sycophancy, then I read this:

If the fact that it has a cover with a keyboard built in is the most exciting thing in the world, ever to them, then they're obviously not interested in the same things as I am.

Forget battery life, forget power and compatibility, you can forget about the display, the smoothness of the OS - the point is it has a keyboard in the cover.

Obviously their list of priorities is different to mine.

Plus I seem to remember Gizmodo always tend to wax lyrical about MS products don't they?

Personally, I'll stick to non-MS devices if they're better. Yes - even if they don't have a keyboard built into the cover.

FWIW as far as I know the Metro interface is a clean sheet design is it not?

Therefore it will likely be much faster than IOS and Android as there is no BSD or Linux baggage to lug around.

The Nokia Win7.5 OS feels like the fastest OS on the planet. I would have bought that instead of my Samsung had there been the ability to upgrade to Win8. I think that in terms of usability and speed they have taken this into account.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
Not to mention that developer support was always one of Microsoft's strongest points.
Just compare Visual Studio, XNA and etc... with XCODE. Not to mention all the JAVA (yuck) Android stuff.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
At least the competition will be interesting to watch :) Who can claim the elusive wealthy urban hipster demographic?

Offline Duce

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 10:36:04 PM »
Curious how many of the people that are excited about these things, how many have actually used Windows 8, either on a traditional machine or on a x86 tablet?  You can download the RC now and try it, absolutely free, right?  Takes a few minutes to setup, and works just fine on any VM out there.  The release version won't be much different than the current version.

It's an unmitigated disaster, a complete hybrid bastard child of an OS that has you flopping between desktop and tile mode, doing neither particularly well in the combination it's presented to the user in.  In the current incarnation it's a complete hybrid, you cannot even really force it to solely run in traditional desktop GUI form.  Yes, they actually removed the registry hacks and other ways that people had found to force it into Desktop mode in the public beta version, in the latest release.

There are some very valid improvements to the Win 8 *desktop* portion of the OS, but it's essentially (the desktop portion) Windows 7 and even MS will tell you that.  The Metro UI is the thing they are really trying to hype people up for on this one, and it's simply awful to use for a desktop system.  Does it work ok on a tablet?  Sure, it does - but it's (Win 8 x86) not being marketed as solely a tablet OS.  It stinks on desktops, just like iOS would stink on a Mac desktop, but you have the added insult of knowing W8 does have a full Desktop experience in there somewhere, but it's one you can't either pick or choose to run wholly, it's just offered to you in hybrid ways.  I hope they clue in and make the Metro stuff entirely optional, but indications at the moment are that they won't.  I find that staggering, and I also believe Win 8 will go down in history as the worst/least popular MS OS since Windows ME, lol.

This is not a matter of people not accepting that computers are progressing to more and more simple interfaces, similar to tablet OS's.  They are going more and more to tablet UI types all the time, and I don't deny that.  But MS thinking people are going to be productive on a traditional desktop mouse and keyboard system with this Metro UI is just absolutely laughable if you even spend a brief amount of time using Win 8.

I hope they improve it before release, but as it sits now it comes off as a complete bodge job, completely unwieldy to use as a desktop OS.  The tablet, or Metro side of the OS is usable - but we're also in a world of the iPad and decent ICS Android tablets.  I've used a modern x86 tablet with Windows 8 recently, and found no compelling reason why ANYONE would want one, even if it was half the price (Samsung Slate, 64GB, with W8 RC on it - a $1300 tablet).  Who is going to spend that kind of money on a tablet that offers a third of the battery life that a competing product does?  Heck, even the best of the current Windows tablets (IMHO), the Asus Eee Slate gets under *TWO* hours battery life under load, when an iPad gets near *NINE* hours under the same circumstances.  It's a portable device, battery life is a major factor here.  When a laptop can offer more battery life than these things, why on earth would you even consider a tablet?

I'm sure some people will gobble up the Windows 8 tablets.  For some, assuming they get the battery life better on them, they might be an ideal solution, at least in the x86 models, but it'll all come down to cost, IMHO.
Win 8 RT is simply too gimped for any serious, professional enterprise use.
Unless they are significantly cheaper than a low end Ultrabook, I simply don't see them flying off the shelves, and I found the experience of using one to be completely useless and frustrating.  But hey, they are offering an add on touch pen for it, just like your Palm Pilot had!  :laugh1:

Offline Duce

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228247/Microsoft_s_Surface_tablet_no_threat_to_Apple_s_iPad?taxonomyId=12

Bear in mind Office for the iPad is also on the way.  If I am buying a tablet to run Office on, and the iPad (10 hours battery life) gets Office, why in God's name would one buy one of the heavier, hotter, louder Win 8 (3-4 hours battery life for x86 models) ones, lol?

Monday's press release was a complete mind bender from MS, and I fail to see how the "Well, it will run Office!" is a selling point when it's already a well known fact MS has working versions of Office for iPad.  They are currently sitting on the release of it, and if my gut is right on this one, have it as a back up plan if adoption of these new Surface tablet machines is low.  MS can, and will - make a small fortune on Office for iPad.  To NOT release Office for iPad would be one of the biggest fumbles MS could ever do.

Many people have moral objections to Apple products like the iPad, and that's entirely fair and valid.  But MS is now entering the market to take on the iPad head on, and the two products simply aren't comparable.  MS is bringing a knife to a gunfight.

MS, other than in regards to input devices (mice/keyboards) and consoles, has traditionally tanked every single time they have tried hardware.  Zune.  Kin.  UMPC.  Mira.  Surface table.  Etc...

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;697041
Not to mention that developer support was always one of Microsoft's strongest points.
Just compare Visual Studio, XNA and etc... with XCODE. Not to mention all the JAVA (yuck) Android stuff.

Yes the performance of Android apps is laughable. A 166mhz Pentium has better graphics capabilities. You pretty much need at least an A8 to be able to run apps at full speed. Look at the ARM11 based Pi running Doom3. Don't think you will get Doom3 running on a Arm Tablet at a similar framerate.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
Duce, as Voltaire once said,
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Let's wait a couple of years, and, by the time MorphOS get Wifi support on the Powerbook, we'll see who was right about it.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Duce, as Voltaire once said,
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Let's wait a couple of years, and, by the time MorphOS get Wifi support on the Powerbook, we'll see who was right about it.