Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 9072 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:18 PM »
WP7 is my 2nd favorite mobile OS. The 1st place going to WebOS.

Android sucks, it's very fragmented and you're left to the mercy of individual manufacturers for updates and support.

Apple I have no interest in.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
I wonder if there will be x86 smartphones running the desktop Win 8 version?

That would get my juices running. Thanks to the dual GUIs, one could use it as both a smartphone or hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard and pretty much run anything you want.

With Intel Medfield being very competitive with A9 Cortex I question the need for an ARM Win 8 version. What's the point, really... even if you could theorize and say that an ARM powered tablet could be cheaper, I don't think it will be cheap enough when you factor in the fact there wont be much software to run.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696497
I'm not sure. They have a different approach to tablets, pcs and phones.
They say, tablets are pcs and smartphones are smartphones.
So, It's windows 8 for tablet&PC (those notebooks with detachable touch screen) and windows 8 phone for smartphones.

But, take a look at this:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/microsoft-smartglass-hands-on/

I think this is what you want.

Microsoft will not do it, but someone else might. A few years ago a company from Asia made an XP phone, a huge brick of a device. Now with Medfield and future mobile CPUs from Intel or even AMD, it should be possible to build a very nice smartphone running a desktop Win version(thanks to Metro it would function very nice even as touch only device). And if Intel would implement it's Wi-Di in future SoCs... Voila - a perfect smartphone

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
Quote from: runequester;696500
Android is close to cracking a million activations a day. It's hard to fathom how windows mobile is going to overtake that.

I think this is the peak of Android market performance that we'll see.

I bought one of them... now I'd like to exchange it for Lumia 900. It's just brilliant simplicity. And I very much like the Metro GUI on smartphones... I'll wait for an HD screen Nokia and jump ship...

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
Quote from: persia;696574
Metro is processor independent, why would you even think of running a desktop application on a tablet or heaven forfend, a phone?

I wouldn't run it on smartphone

lets say we have a hypothetical x86 smartphone running desktop Win 8

in smartphone mode - Only Metro GUI  exposed, runs only Metro compatible apps just like any current WP 7.X smartphone

Then I come home and hook it up on a monitor or big screen TV... or have a presentation to make at work- then it shifts into classic Win desktop mode and runs desktop apps on big screen.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:43:44 PM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
Quote from: persia;696578
But if you have an ARM based tablet version of Office running on an ARM based Tablet Windows or Phone, why would you even care that the processor isn't X86?  M$ is cutting the thread tieing it to the Intel/AMD world.  If you can easily cross compile between Metro ARM and Metro X86, then you no longer have a developer/software issue.

The reason M$ failed in the tablet market despite having a 10 year lead was precisely because three people enjoy running desktop apps on a tablet and those three work for Microsoft.  Mobile Office will be a step towards correcting that mistake.

Office is just one application. There are numerous others that are not likely to get an ARM port, for various reasons.