Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 8386 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #59 from previous page: June 19, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Duce, as Voltaire once said,
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Let's wait a couple of years, and, by the time MorphOS get Wifi support on the Powerbook, we'll see who was right about it.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
Quote from: Duce;697047
Curious how many of the people that are excited about these things, how many have actually used Windows 8, either on a traditional machine or on a x86 tablet? You can download the RC now and try it, absolutely free, right? Takes a few minutes to setup, and works just fine on any VM out there. The release version won't be much different than the current version.

It's an unmitigated disaster

What is the point in suggesting people download it if you're going to tell us what we have to think about it? I don't know why Microsoft just didn't ask you to test it and save everyone elses time.

I actually quite like it and I've so far only installed it on my netbook.

And you have no idea how different the release version will be.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »
Windows Phone,
Windows CE,

Let's hope they both go the way of the Dodo once Windows 8 is released (cause they truely doth sucketh).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;697065
And you have no idea how different the release version will be.
We're how close to release, now? And they've already done two preview releases, so it's not like they haven't had ample time to get the message that nobody wants this, and they've just announced their new tablet for their new tablet OS. Do you really think that between now and (supposedly late July) they're suddenly going to reverse their stance and start listening to the naysayers?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
Phil - they have told the media, told developers to expect very few changes in the RTM version from what it is now.  They have said it repeatedly.  Authors writing books and articles on Windows 8 have been told they will be fairly safe to finish up their writing now, as the end retail product isn't far off, as not many significant changes will be coming.

I'm not telling anyone what to think, if you like it, I'm glad for you.  For every one person that can make any sense of it, there's a heck of a lot of the rest of the population that find it to be a jumbled ball of nonsensical mess.  If you like it, great - in the end, it's just a preference thing.  

The concerns about W8 on tablets go a little deeper - they are trying to sell Windows 8 RT tablets as enterprise devices, knowing full well they do *not* support many things that would be required of them in a MS enterprise network (like AD).  I find that to be shady as hell.  But hey, they offer something called "Management Lite", which gives the end user the ability to add their own apps to their devices, taking the point out of AD networks entirely.  Active Directory is ubiquitous in large networks - support should be mandatory.  Full support, not just SSP and RSD.  If it's a Windows device, admins need to be able to do their jobs via methods already existing.

If I may ask though - is it a good enough product, a fresh enough concept that you are willing to shell out money to buy, say the retail boxed versions to put on your own personal machines?  Is it that good of an OS that you will pay $100+ to put Windows 8 your current machines?

That's always been my question, whether people love or hate it, MS *are* going to be shipping it on all new OEM machines soon.  It *will* be in widespread usage not far down the road.  Are users going to be howling at MS, demanding downgrades to Win 7 from Win 8, just like they did with Vista to Windows XP?  Are retail customers going to be compelled to go out and purchase W8 to install on their current Windows 7 rigs?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:02:21 AM by Duce »