Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 8385 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696492
I was a huge fan of Palm, but unfortunately, not a single WebOS device was available in my country. Hopefully, now that's supposedly open-source, my last hope is to expect some Chinese tablets with it.

By the way, take a look at this link:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3062611/palm-webos-hp-inside-story-pre-postmortem

I found it very interesting.

Thanks for the link. A long but great read. What a sad story, I'm not sure why you are putting your hopes in yet another dead platform (Windows Phone). Microsoft's track record in phones is one of the worst.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/cringelys-right-windows-mobile-is-dead/2848

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/microsoft-kin-is-dead/

Add in the Metro interface which is something everyone loves to hate and you have a recipe for the next dead phone platform megadrama.

Anyone buying a Windows Phone is just wasting their money. They are even killing off version 7.x for 8, no upgrade path at all.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696497
I'm not sure. They have a different approach to tablets, pcs and phones.
They say, tablets are pcs and smartphones are smartphones.
So, It's windows 8 for tablet&PC (those notebooks with detachable touch screen) and windows 8 phone for smartphones.

But, take a look at this:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/microsoft-smartglass-hands-on/

I think this is what you want.

Microsoft will not do it, but someone else might. A few years ago a company from Asia made an XP phone, a huge brick of a device. Now with Medfield and future mobile CPUs from Intel or even AMD, it should be possible to build a very nice smartphone running a desktop Win version(thanks to Metro it would function very nice even as touch only device). And if Intel would implement it's Wi-Di in future SoCs... Voila - a perfect smartphone

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
Android is close to cracking a million activations a day. It's hard to fathom how windows mobile is going to overtake that.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
Quote from: runequester;696500
Android is close to cracking a million activations a day. It's hard to fathom how windows mobile is going to overtake that.

How many examples do you need to understand that past performance does not guarantee future results?
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »

I think this is the peak of Android market performance that we'll see.

I bought one of them... now I'd like to exchange it for Lumia 900. It's just brilliant simplicity. And I very much like the Metro GUI on smartphones... I'll wait for an HD screen Nokia and jump ship...

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
I was willing to get a Lumia 900 here as well, but, two things are still preventing me:
* Not available here (Damn Country)
* Will probably be outdated as soon as windows phone 8 comes out

After a while, I think we'll have a lot of models from several different manufacters.
Personally I would be interested in a Galaxy SIII HW or a Galaxy Note HW or a Nokia Lumia X 5" all running Windows Mobile.

Besides all that, Microsoft tools for developers are the best ones among them all, being XCode 2nd and very far away: Android...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
Quote from: persia;696471
With Android and iOS out there isn't WM sort of late to the party?

They were 10 years late to the party with win95 so maybe they think it doesn't matter? lol

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
I dig Windows7 just fine but man you can have my HTC Optimus V 4g when you pry it from my cold, dead, 3d-imaged hands! :)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696501
How many examples do you need to understand that past performance does not guarantee future results?

It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a decent indicator.

It depends on what deals are made with carriers as well, at least here in the US. I hear very little demand on a day to day basis from people wanting windows mobile phones. The people who want specific devices are almost universally asking for android and iphone.

Anecdotal evidence and all. It'll be fun to watch in the next few months

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
I am sheepish to admit on a Miggy site but I will be buying a x86 tablet as soon as I can get one. It will be very nice to be able to walk around my store scanning items with a scanner and having my inventory management system add them to an order. I can do this with a netbook, but a small tablet would be easier to manage. It would need to be a x86 tablet as the software runs on the desktop. I imagine once Win8 tablets hit the $99-$199 price point the WalMart crowd will snap them up and they will make impressive sales numbers.

As for smartphone usage, I may buy the Nokia when it gets a better screen and Win8. I think IOS is too locked down, and Android is a bit too free locked down (apps can do whatever they want) Don't get me wrong I love my new Samsung Android phone (never thought I would call something TOO OPEN) it is a great improvement over my previous iPhone4 but I find it silly I need to install programs to suspend background services/autokill stuff so that I have acceptable battery life. I may be just a bit too picky though.

I have to see Win8 before I make any judgement on it. It might be rubbish for all I know. If I had to recommend a smartphone to my parents I would tell them that the Nokia is great for their needs. I will never buy another Apple product after a bad experience with them in regards to my iPhone so as far as I'm concerned there are only 2 platforms, the upcoming Win8 & Android. Right now I made my choice to get an Android device, in a year or so when I upgrade I will make a choice between 'droid and Win8.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

Agree. But they will all be a million dumpers a day in 2 years time and something new will be the flavor. The longer you use an os/interface the more little issues you have with it. By the 2nd or third version your allegance wanes.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
yeah, the turn over in these gadgets is quite astounding.

A few questions I am not aware of:

What manufacturers are making windows phones? All of them? Some? A few? (Other than Nokia I mean)

What is the impression of Nokias financial state? Are they out of the woods, or is it still dicey?

Offline psxphill

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Quote from: runequester;696522
I hear very little demand on a day to day basis from people wanting windows mobile phones. The people who want specific devices are almost universally asking for android and iphone.

And a little while ago everyone wanted blackberry's.
Microsoft are still preparing, it usually takes them a while to spin up.

They first got into the games industry with the Dreamcast by offering Windows CE as a platform for games. It wasn't as good as the native Sega development kit, but a few games were produced using it. Then came the Xbox, it was ridiculed for it's size & they didn't make any money but with determination they got the brand known. Now with the 360 I believe they are actually making money.

Windows had a similar gestation period. The NT project was always going to be the future, the 9x versions were stopgap to keep money rolling in. NT4 was the first user friendly one, 2000 was the first stable one, XP was the first where you could get drivers. Before XP it was tricky to decide which version to run, afterwards it became a simple choice.

I'm not saying Microsoft will succeed, but based on the past there is no reason why what they are doing can't work. It takes time to build momentum and although I won't be buying one right now, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I won't be buying an iphone either, a mid level android phone is good enough for me. However Microsoft have a knack at making things affordable and pretty good (given enough time).

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 09:53:17 AM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696474
No. We're living 1984 again. iOS is the Mac and Microsoft will prevail again. Jobs cant return now.
Seeing M$ plans I already had that vision for quite a while. Recently several analysts are also supporting it.

In 1 year from now, you'll see more smartphones with Windows than with Android...

Sarcasm or stupidity? I can't decide.

Anyway, MS plans are nowhere, which is exactly where they're going.  Of course there won't be more phones with Windows than Android in 1 year, nor in 2 years, not even in 5 years.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off.

Is this a joke. Why would anyone keep their phones on at night.

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 16, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
I must be one of those odd people that just puts my phone on silent when I go to bed!