Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACK PowerVixxen LT Accelerator Board For A1200  (Read 4554 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: ACK PowerVixxen LT Accelerator Board For A1200
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 03, 2005, 05:51:15 PM »
So that's what they mean by integrated...

Anyhow, just because the things runs without  a 1200 doesn't mean it will do the emulation well at those speeds, hence the NEED for the 1200.

Don't get pissed because I'm pointing out a possability, it's just a material object anyhow.

I'm pointing out that for those who don't have a 1200 to hook this up to, they may not be so happy as opposed to actually having a 1200 hooked up to it.

I'm interested in what it means by having the sound combined with the paula chip set, etc.

And yes, I'm quite sure this will blow away a 040, just don't expect to be doing any MPEG editing or what ever on here...

...it would work, but it would probably take a while, but who knows, maybe that CPU can do more than what I realize.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »
A 460MHz 603e based processor should be able to emulate a 68040 pretty damn well, probably one at around 100MHz speeds even, maybe 200MHz depending on the quality of emulation. How is the state of AmigaOS 4's JIT emulator anyway? Petunia, that's the name.

As for the integrated Paula sound, I expect that it is an audio input header on the card that you connect to the A1200 motherboard's audio headers, or outputs.

If you want to do hardcore video editing, you'd be buying a Mac or PC anyway.

You'd attach the A1200 if you wanted to run software that required AGA. Personally, I'd keep the two things separate, new computer for new stuff, old computer for memorable stuff.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 12:34:19 PM »

How is the state of AmigaOS 4's JIT emulator anyway? Petunia, that's the name.

It kicks ass ;-)

As for the integrated Paula sound, I expect that it is an audio input header on the card that you connect to the A1200 motherboard's audio headers, or outputs.

You don't even need to do that. These pins are present on the A1200 expansion slot:

146: AUDIO GND   Audio Ground
147: AUDIO L     Left Audio
148: AUDIO R     Right Audio

Presumably the PowerVixxen mixes these lines with its own audio and routes it to its own output plug.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 12:36:26 PM »
@XDelusion

With the PowerVixxen in an A1200, the only 68k processor in the system is a 14Mhz 68EC020. The BlizzardPPC cards are less than half the speed of the PowerVixxen card, and can emulate 68k code many, many times faster than a 14Mhz 68EC020. The PowerVixxen will be several times faster again. There simply is no speed advantage to attaching an A1200 for executing 68k code.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6