Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Phase 5 Digital Products comeback?  (Read 5874 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Edge Connectors
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;814440
and what would that gain you? seriously, all the time im hearing the genuine amigas are not worth it, better to switch to ppc "ng" gear to start with, because amigas do not provide enough ressources, especially to run anything like os4, and now this?

I might spoil things for you, but ppc "ng" gear are not worth it. Better to switch to a PC.

But a "not an A1200" from Jens coupled with a full 68060+PPC would be pretty nice. Ok it's still AGA, but the cpu can access chip ram at full speed no matter whether you throw 256 colour, copper and blitter nasty at it.

I'd accept an Apollo core if they improved the compatibility by supporting the full 68060 fpu and mmu.

Quote from: Bennymee;814413
Creating a turbo with an existing cpu should be less work then creating a new one ;)

That depends on the existing cpu. It may increase the amount of work they need to do (it will just be different work).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:34:52 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Re: Edge Connectors
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
Quote from: kolla;814465
I thought a reason why we would never see reruns of these boards was because making them RHOS compliant would be impossible.

You can apply for exemptions from RHOS & you can also use non-RHOS for spares.

RHOS appears to be pragmatic as the environmental impact of just throwing away or melting down all the old 68060 rather than just reusing them would play a part.

I think you can also get exemptions if you are just a small hobby market.

Offline psxphill

Re: Phase 5 Digital Products comeback?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;814768
So you want us to assume that this "new" Phase 5 somehow found a truckload of NOS 680x0 or PPC CPUs and is going to make a production run of new accelerators for a market of maybe 400 users at best?

I'm not assuming they have any 680x0 or ppc cpu's, they may be selling bare boards for all I know.

Or the videos of the component placement could be a smokescreen and they have an fpga/arm/atom board on the way.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:02:23 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;814794
I'm 99% sure he meant boards without the CPU plugged in, not a PCB with no components.

Er yeah, sorry I thought that was kinda obvious. But predicting what the announcement will be is pointless.

Then you can decide whether its something you want or not. If it's a run of 030 boards then I won't be buying one, but I'm not going to criticise them for it.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;814818
The outright hatred shown because the work-in-progress core doesn't have an FPU yet gets pretty bad, not to mention the MMU.

There is no hatred pointed at Apollo. It started as disappointment that Gunnar repeatedly said that he had no intention of doing a compatible FPU and MMU & instead worked on MMX. It has only got heated because the fan boi's validate Gunnar's decision by saying they don't want an FPU or MMU anyway and anyone that does should shut up and go away (the "I'm awesome, why could you possibly want to run different software than me unless you suck" argument).

The price hike was bad PR, however if it had coincided with the boards being available then it would have been fine. i.e. You pay a bit more and you get it now. The real issue is that people don't know whether the price will rise again before the boards are available and there are boards going up on ebay and selling for much higher prices. It's starting to look like the Bitcoin Mining ASIC fiasco (butterflylabs et al).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:55:52 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;814824
No discussion, this is the product, buy it or don't.

Nobody would be that honest, getting people on the hook with vague promises of future updates is too common.

You do need someone that is prepared to tell the engineers to suck it up and develop the features that the customers want once in a while though. Even if it's only a small number of customers, every single one of them is a sale. Unconstrained development by engineers was what killed the Natami.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
Quote from: vxm;814835
How did you come to this assertion?

What was visible from the outside and what was said by those involved.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Quote from: Chucky;834094
Yeah it would be great..  but sorry this will not happen with the current holder of the data.

I accept what you're saying and why you're saying it, but honestly It's hard to predict.

It could easily be that between him and the manufacturer they screwed up the ground plane and the guy is too proud to accept it. That doesn't mean that he won't privately have taken you seriously. Or even if he didn't, then he'll figure it out soon enough when someone else tells him the same thing.

It's only a real problem if they don't have the ground plane layout at all.

Of course, people should be wary of putting money into any scheme like this. It's still too early.