Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions about Minimig future  (Read 3630 times)

Description:

Offline AJCopland

Re: Questions about Minimig future
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »
Actually the only Amiga specific thing on the MiniMig appears to be the crystals for PAL display timing! You can flash whatever you like into the FPGA. Ok it'll only have 16bit wide access to 2MB of sram but that should be fine for emulating other 68k based 16bit-era consoles.

An Atari should be fairly easy, but Neo-Geo and Megadrive should also be possible because they both used 68000 cpus and long as room can be found in the fpga for their other custom processors then there's no reason for them not to work.

I started to have a look into what else would be required but my knowledge of Verilog/VHDL is totally insufficient for working out the *how* to do it at the moment.

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »

alexh wrote:
As soon as my MiniMig arrives (end of April) I've agreed (in return for getting my board) to try to port the open source Spectrum, C64, Atari ST and Amstrad CPC cores to MiniMig.

The bummer is that you'll all have to reprogram / replace your PIC.

Alex that's awesome news!

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »

Fransexy_ wrote:
Megadrive and neogeo also have a Z80 processor

I know, but the Z80 has fpga implementations already :-D like I said I did look into it ;) and the Z80 was primarily used for audio and peripherals in both of them thus whatever other logic would be required for emulating other platforms would be subsumed by the Z80 for those two.

Andy

EDIT for clarity.