Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with AmigaDOS 1.3  (Read 6493 times)

Description:

Offline taliadonTopic starter

• Show only replies by taliadon
Help with AmigaDOS 1.3
« on: November 30, 2023, 01:26:51 AM »
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions regarding AmigaDOS:

1) If I have a folder on df0: called “MyFolder”, what would be the copy command to clone this directory and its associated ‘.info’ file to dh0: ? Whilst I can do it using two copy commands, I can’t figure out how to do it with just one. Note: we have to assume that df0: contains other files/folders that shouldn’t copied.

2) Many operating systems use “.” to represent the current path (i.e “ copy /dir/file . “). How do I specify the current path in AmigaDOS?

3) For WB project icons, it’s common for default tools to be specified in the format “:Folder/Tool”. This works well when cloning the floppy to the root directory of the HDD file system, but not so well when cloning to a sub-directory. Rather than changing the default tool for every file on the floppy, is there a practical way of remapping tool path which begin with “:”?

I should point out that I’m using WB 1.3, and I’ve tried for many hours to resolve these issues without success.

Therefore, any help, no matter how small, would be gratefully received.

Online Thomas

Re: Help with AmigaDOS 1.3
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 07:40:06 AM »

1) I don't see any other way than to use two commands. In WB 2+ you could specify both source objects on one command

copy MyFolder MyFolder.info dh0: all clone

or use patterns

copy MyFolder(|.info) dh0: all clone

but on 1.3 you can have only one source and patterns match only on files, not on directories.

2) an empty string corresponds to the current path. You have to surround it by quotation marks of course.

cd ram:
copy df0:MyFile ""

3) there is no practical way. You could try to find a third-party tool which can change icons in batch scripts. Could be difficult to find one which runs on 1.3.

The following users thanked this post: taliadon

Offline RhoSigma

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 08:30:08 AM »
Why so complicated, if that folder already have an icon, then simply select it on the Workbench and then use the menu (Workbench > Duplicate) to copy it. Then select the copy and use the "Rename" menu entry to give it another name.

The following users thanked this post: taliadon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 03:45:11 PM »
Thanks Thomas, the info is very much appreciated.

I don't find 1.3 too difficult to work with, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut  ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
Thanks for the response RhoSigma, it's very much appreciated.

Sure, I could have just dragged the icon from one disk to the other, but I'm trying to learn as much about AmigaDOS 1.3 as  can.