Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting online with PiStorm32, Miami DX and Encrypted WiFi  (Read 961 times)

Description:

Offline AndyFCTopic starter

Getting online with PiStorm32, Miami DX and Encrypted WiFi
« on: April 28, 2024, 01:07:20 PM »
Here are the steps I took to be able to browse using the new WiFiPi wireless network driver, and Miami DX.

Version 0.1: First version to document my experiences - still finding and fixing typos
Version 0.2 (8 May '24): Corrected grammar and added a bit more explanation to steps. Nothing fundamental has changed which alters the steps.

Downloads:
Emu68Tools from 23 April: https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68-tools/releases/download/nightly/Emu68-tools-20240423-75ea45.zip (this version contains the first version of the Alpha wifipi driver to support encryption; check here for later versions https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68-tools/releases)
Emu68 release 1: https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68/releases
Prism2v2: https://aminet.net/driver/net/prism2v2.lha
MiamiDX (demo): https://aminet.net/comm/tcp/MiamiDx10cmain.lha and https://aminet.net/comm/tcp/MiamiDx10c-MUI.lha (I already had this up and running with a 3COM PCMCIA card)

The info for where to copy the files is based on Michal Schultz's post: https://www.patreon.com/posts/wi-fi-alpha-102261532

The steps probably also work for other versions of the PiStorm but I don't have the hardware to test with.

Important to note that currently this is still an Alpha version of the driver so bugs or problems can be expected.

Set up the Wireless network driver (these steps are the same for any Network stack, not just MiamiDX)
1: Unpack Emu68 tools
2: Copy file Emu68-WiFi/Devs/Networks/wifipi.device to DEVS:Networks
3: Copy the whole folder emu68/WiFi/Devs/Networks/Firmware to Devs: (so you end up with Devs:Firmware containing a series of txt, bin and clm_blob files; 14 files in the version I originally used) NOTE: I didn't have the Devs:Firmware folder to start with but some of you might)
4: Unpack Prism2v2.lha you can choose to run the installer or copy some files manually

IF MANUAL
5: Copy Wirelessmanager to C:
6: Create a text file in Envarc:sys/ called wireless.prefs
7: Add the lines
network={
     ssid="<name of your wireless network>"
     psk="<your network passphrase>"
}
8: Save the file
9: Reboot

IF USING THE INSTALLER:
5: Use expert mode
6: Choose 'No' when asked to install firmware for the Hermes chipset
7: Choose 'Yes' to set wireless preferences
8: Enter you wireless network name and password when prompted
9a: Choose whether or not to start WirelessManager automatically (it's up to you - see 'Observations' at the end)
9b: Finish the install and reboot

What's the difference between the Manual and the Installer set up?
The process using the installer creates an encrypted version of the wireless password and uses that instead of the open text version which is handy if you don't want your password saved in plain text on your Amiga.
My personal experience is that I couldn't connect after setting up the wireless.prefs file manually, I would just get a timeout. Users Lemaru and Shaytam on the PiStorm discord assured me it should work without the encrypted PSK, so I uncommented the plain text line and commented out the encrypted line, rebooted and it then worked. The timeout was probably not related to the setup method I used (I have an old house with thick brick internal walls and Wifi can sometimes drop).

Starting the Network
10: If you chose to use the installer and start automatically, and all being well, the wifipi.device should have been initialised on reboot. This is done silently so you won't see anything on screen to confirm it.
11: If you have chosen the manual route open up a Shell and enter 'Wirelessmanager wifipi.device' - after a few seconds you hopefully get confirmation that you are associated with a MAC address, key negotiation is completed and CTRL-EVENT-Connected ie you're connected to the access point.

Configuring MiamiDX (Note I already use MiamiDX with a PCMCIA card and copied the original settings rather than set up from scratch)
12: If not already done, install MiamiDX
13: Run Miami and open up `Hardware` > `New` to open up the 'Hardware definition' window
14: Give it a name e.g. WiFiPi (remember this for step 22)
15: `Type` should default to SANA-II driver (if not change it to that using the cycle gadget)
16: In `Driver` enter `DEVS:Networks/wifipi.device` (or browse to it) and leave `Unit` as 0
17: Open `SANA-II parameters`
18: Choose `Query Device` - the settings should auto-complete.
19: Choose `OK` to close the SANA-II parameters window and again to close the Hardware definition window
20: Choose `Interfaces` from the MiamiDX menu
21: Choose `New`
22: My settings are:
 - Name: eth1
 - Alias: WiFiPi
 - Type: Ethernet
 - Hardware: (whatever you called the interface in step 14)
 - Priority: 10
 - IP type: Static (note DHCP might work for you but my router doesn't serve DHCP to my Amiga properly)
 - IP Address: something relevant to your network
 - Netmask Type: Static
 - Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (pretty common)
 - Gateway Type: static
 - Gateway: ip address of your router
 - Multicasts: disabled
 - Multicast pri: 0
 - Control panel: ticked
 - GUI default: unticked
(I don't have any Auto-connect/disconnect settings or Manual routes/aliases)
Select `TCP/IP settings` and in the `Interface TCP\IP settings` screen::
 - Use ICMP: ticked
 - Fake IP: unticked
 - Get dynamic hostame, priority: 0
 - Get dynamic DNS servers: Ignore
 - Preferred offline state: Suspended
 - Get time: unticked
 - DHCP Enable: Ticked
 - Send hostname in request: Ticked
 - Host Name: Something you want to identify your Amiga on if looking in your router interface
23: Select `OK` to close the `Interface TCP/IP Settings` window and again to close the `Interface definition` window
24: Right-click and choose 'Save' from the Settings menu

Now to test:
25: In MiamiDX, and the `Interfaces` section, select your newly created Interface and select 'Online'

Observations:
I Use Tinymeter and as soon as I run wirelessmanager the CPU drops to around 30%-33% free, so I'm going to continue to run this manually for now, only when I want to go online. Discussion on Discord says this is because direct polling, not DMA is used. There's still more than enough free CPU to run web tools like IBrowse, FTP programs etc and not get noticeable slowdown.

If you make any changes to the wireless.prefs file reboot for them to take effect.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 07:24:37 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

The following users thanked this post: Amigadude, 10MARC

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Getting online with PiStorm32, Miami DX and Encrypted WiFi
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 09:28:59 PM »
NOTE: I didn't have the Devs:Firmware folder to start with but some of you might)

I can attach the package with the firmware and such, but remind me to remove it once it gets to release state.
This is still considered ALPHA, folks. ;)

The following users thanked this post: danbeaver, Boing-ball

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 08:22:05 PM »
Thanks for this nice, clear guide on setting up the new PiStorm wifipi.device - worked just fine. I will link this thread on my video review today

The following users thanked this post: AndyFC

Offline David Wright

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 01:02:56 AM »
I can’t figure out what I am missing. Diligently followed these steps for my caffeine build but when I point Miami to wifidevice , nothing. It is in devs -networks. Even wirelessmanager in shell finds nothing.

Offline Amigadude

• Show only replies by Amigadude
    • Amigadude Struggles - A badly maintained blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 10:29:27 AM »
devs:networks/wifipi.device?

Are you running "Wirelessmanager wifipi.device" before trying to configure it in Miami?
Amigadude AKA JohnN

Apple is like God.... I  don't mind either, it's just their fan clubs that put me off

In order use preference:
A1200, Z4 tower, Buffered IDE, DVDRW, PiStorm32 Lite, RPi3B+ &  WiFi
RPi400 running PiMiga4.0
CD32, TF328 & 8GB CF
A mac mini running MorphOS
A1200,  TF1260 (NoFPU) & ne2000 networking
A500
A600
2xCD32
A1200 mobo (Dead, black screen)

Offline Amigadude

• Show only replies by Amigadude
    • Amigadude Struggles - A badly maintained blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 10:43:13 AM »
Thanx a lot this gave me more than enough info to get it working.

Followed the first part, didn't need the second part as I previously configured Miami to work with a ne2000 PCMCIA card... I just changed the device and then queried it.

I don't have the network auto starting I just put "Wirelessmanager wifipi.device" in a batch file, added an project icon, left it out, then changed the default tool to iconx and added "WINDOW=CON:0/50//80/WiFi/AUTO/WAIT/CLOSE" as a tooltype.  So I can run it when I need, iconify it, online, do network stuff, offline, un-iconify & then press ctrl+c to close wirelessmanager.
Amigadude AKA JohnN

Apple is like God.... I  don't mind either, it's just their fan clubs that put me off

In order use preference:
A1200, Z4 tower, Buffered IDE, DVDRW, PiStorm32 Lite, RPi3B+ &  WiFi
RPi400 running PiMiga4.0
CD32, TF328 & 8GB CF
A mac mini running MorphOS
A1200,  TF1260 (NoFPU) & ne2000 networking
A500
A600
2xCD32
A1200 mobo (Dead, black screen)

Offline David Wright

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 01:22:40 PM »
executing command (wirelessmanager wifipi.device) gets failed to initialize driver.
Why do all the other devices get recognized as files in the networks folder, such as cnet.device but the wifipi.device shows as a folder?
inside folder there is no .device to access.

Sorry for my crude explanation of my problem but I'm sure it's elementary. It's almost as if I am missing a file in folder.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 06:56:58 PM »
executing command (wirelessmanager wifipi.device) gets failed to initialize driver.
Why do all the other devices get recognized as files in the networks folder, such as cnet.device but the wifipi.device shows as a folder?
inside folder there is no .device to access.

Hi David, It's possibly something to do with the archive and what tool you're using to unpack it; occasionally I have problems with .Zip files where they don't unarchive correctly e.g. I'll use one tool and the tooltypes aren't set correctly or a folder is seen as a file, but unpacking using another utility will work.

The unpacked archive should contain the following file structure (just concentrating on the WiFi files):
Emu68-WiFi (folder)
 - Devs (folder)
   |- Networks (folder)
     |- wifipi.device (file)
   |- Firmware (folder)
     |- cyfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob (file)
     |- brcmfmac43436s-sdio.bin (file)
     |- brcmfmac43436-sdio.clm_blob (file)
     |- cyfmac43455-sdio.bin (file)
     |- brcmfmac43456-sdio.txt (file)
     |- brcmfmac43436-sdio.txt (file)
     |- brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt (file)
     |- brcmfmac43456-sdio.bin (file)
     |- brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt (file)
     |- cyfmac43430-sdio.clm_blob (file)
     |- brcmfmac43436-sdio.bin (file)
     |- cyfmac43430-sdio.bin (file)
     |- brcmfmac43456-sdio.clm_blob (file)
     |- brcmfmac43436s-sdio.txt (file)
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 07:48:25 PM »
Thanks @10MARC. In return, I'm linking to your video. I've learnt some things from it, like `shownetstatus`.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvz9euZ-fg

Offline David Wright

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 11:07:19 PM »
Thanks Andy. Redownloaded and use a different unzip package. Shall see if it helps.