Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Future AmigaOS GUI  (Read 18748 times)

Description:

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
Re: Future AmigaOS GUI
« on: June 08, 2003, 05:18:16 AM »
I just posted in another thread congratulating the new OS4 look, but after further observation, I really am beginning to think that its a very dated OS3.9 lookalike.

If OS4 looked anything like SimoAmi's contribution then I would order OS4 in an instant, as would others who are not Amiga savvy users (newcomers). Unfortunately this is not the case and the Hyperion may lose alot of ground and potential customers because of their apparent disregard for todays very competitive GUI standards. A GUI doesn't make an OS, but it sure sells the idea of one. And that cannot be denied.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 02:12:32 AM »
SimoAmi. check you PMs man!

Anyway Hammer, Longhorn doesn't impress me in the slightest. Moving the API to OpenGL and the like is just a natural progression. I think that by AOS5, our beloved OS will be established enough to make the transition to 3D rendered icons and UI.

And whent that happens, oh... when that happens, it will be pretty.. so very pretty.

Thank God Amiga is getting back into the race. It couldn't of picked a better time!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 05:21:54 AM »

teotwin wrote:
click to enlarge

Although the pic is far from detailed....

teowin, I think that all these themes and screens are really well presented. Modern, simple and still very amiga-ish.

I am particularly enamoured with the red miggy mouse pointer. I think that without the trademark red amiga pointer, we really lose some of that Amiga's character from the desktop.

Here's to sticking with all amiga trademark traits for OS4, especially our favourite little red mouse pointer which we have all grown very fond of since 1985!

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 08:57:34 AM »
I just saw the new screenshots after reading OSNEW.COM I noticed an interesting comment that read as follows...

Taken from Osnews

Jeezus! I'm a graphic designer but not a decorating idiot. I'm not asking for the old Amiga zelots to come out and defend some color schemes which I find extremely user-unfriendly and that I could not work with.

I care very much about the underlying technology of my OS but at the same time, I HAVE TO USE IT for long periods of time and the GUI is just as important as the underlying engineering.

That said, you guys forced me to fire up PhotoShop:

OS4 Lighter Metallic mockup version

See? Still all gray but not all the puke...

by Vic Berkshire

Well I have to admit his screen mockup does fair a little more pleasing to the eye compared to the original, no?

Original screenie of OS4

Amazing what a few highlights do for a desktop eh? Ideas?