Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Future AmigaOS GUI  (Read 18744 times)

Description:

Offline SnowBord

• Show only replies by SnowBord
Re: Future AmigaOS GUI
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2003, 06:31:48 PM »
unchartered:

About your footnote.. yes it was on the Music for the Jilted Generation (which ROCKS) but the sample actually came from LAWNMOWER MAN!

Offline SimoAmiTopic starter

• Show only replies by SimoAmi
    • http://www.maroctour.com
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2003, 06:32:19 PM »
I don't think the idea of generating HTML results is the shell engine would be hard to implement.

It's mainly for spacing tabbed results, font-coloring, bolding and font size. maybe links as well

It doesn't have to be completely html compliant and then the programmer would have to follow the specs.

Offline SimoAmiTopic starter

• Show only replies by SimoAmi
    • http://www.maroctour.com
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2003, 06:46:27 PM »
And this shows a mouse behaviour when clicked:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2003, 08:27:29 PM »

SnowBord wrote:
unchartered:

About your footnote.. yes it was on the Music for the Jilted Generation (which ROCKS) but the sample actually came from LAWNMOWER MAN!

Are you sure? All my videos are in storage ATM so I can't check, but I don't remember that bit.  It doesn't really sound like Pierce Brosnan in the sample.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2003, 08:45:25 PM »
I like the idea of a shell that uses proportionally spaced fonts instead of monospaced fonts.

It only needs to implement some type of simple layout language - implemented in XML, and similar to XHTML, whilst styling would be done with CSS to achieve a consistent output regardless of applications (i.e., all tables would look the same). I doubt the implementation would take long, although changing all the applications to output in the new format would be a hassle - I'd imagine that a shell like this would add a new switch by default to all executed commands to tell them to output formatted text instead of plain text.

It is just that there are too many other, more important, things to do than something like that!

Regarding the original screenshot - it looks nice but is a little too fancy - any chance of posting an image without the textured backdrops (i.e., plain, like a default configuration). I also do not like the scrollbars - too much darkness in them. I like the tree view though. I prefer the OS4 window borders to your window borders. The tab looks funny, as if it isn't attached to the content it is attached to.

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2003, 10:44:33 PM »

SimoAmi wrote:
This would do fine then! :)

Great!
That other one was a tad too Windows'ish for my taste  :-D

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2003, 11:03:07 PM »
The shell would have to still default to a monospaced font for legacy applications that expect things to line up, but it could switch to proportional if a program outputs XML, I suppose.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2003, 01:44:15 AM »
I like the shots of the mock ups. If there is anything I decide I don't like (pending I was actually able to use it in OS4) then I would change it because thats why I loved the Amiga. Not how it looked, I was always able to change that, but how it functioned. That if something in the system wasn't right I was able to dive right in and fix it. I don't like the icons? Make new ones.  It was fast, reliable (so long as a program was written well) and just plain fun to use.  Great work, hope to see your efforts pay off.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2003, 02:02:38 AM »
i hate metal
i prefer a marble background

got any mockups with marble backs?

or just plain grey/white?

somthing really profesional

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2003, 05:05:46 AM »
@mdwh2

I think the fact that it's visually the smallest one is a problem - what happens when it's covered by another window?

Thats a problem that already exists for all of the window gadgets anyway, the multi-gadget would not try to solve this, all its doing is reducing the number of gadgets and clutter. I agree with you in that anybody that dares remove doubleclick-to-front functionality should be shot, its a life saver. And as for the window resizing, a modifier key such as linux has would be ideal. for those that dont know how it works, you hold in the key and drag the left mouse button and the window is moved, hold the key and drag the right button and the closest side/corner of the window is resized with the mouse movement. Very nice infact.

Ive just had an alternative idea for the multi-gadget to replace the resizing. The right-click + drag could be used to bring up a  menu with standard window functions like snapshot, etc... Following is an example of what a web browser could look like in my window template (good use of window tabs), and the multigadget being right clicked and dragged for the window function menu:

click to enlarge

Offline NewRevolution

• Show only replies by NewRevolution
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2003, 06:31:36 AM »
This thread has sky rocketed! :-D

Almost hard to keep up. Is there a possibility that  the screenshots that have been posted (and not posted) could be put in a folder somewhere so we can look at them more closely? And maybe put some descriptive text along with them? - Describing what the different gadgets and buttons are.

I would really like to take my time to look at these concepts and provide feedback. Only wish I had my Amiga and the "concepts" so I could try them out.

I've also posted some feedback in the other thread.

.                               .
. : : nEw revOluTion : : .

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2003, 08:30:37 AM »
A while back there was a thread on "dream" features for aos, but i cant seem to find it. Perhaps its time now to collate everyones ideas and have them centrally stored and organised so that before too long we can approach hyperion to put forward all the kick arse ideas for the next incarnation of aos, perhaps before aos4.2?

We just need to host it somewhere. It should be somewhere that is controled by someone who has a passion for improving the os gui. That rules out a.org.  I could set up an area at amigamonkey.com if need be but my server is slow and unreliable. Any other suggestions? simoami.com?

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2003, 08:54:31 AM »
Can we PLEASE start URL'ing huge pictures!

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2003, 09:26:35 AM »
@Teotwin:

That screenshot just looks AMAZING (that background is wonderful). This looks so much better than the official new look. I really like the 'stripe' texture (i use it on my website too) as background for windows and menus. Far better than that ugly, old looking brushed metal texture OS4 will be using.

This is simple, yet so much nicer to look at. Do you have any other mockups (with more windows, Gui)?

Why don't you guys start a website with ideas, skins, backdrops,... If i buy OS4, the first thing i will do is put a design from you guys on it.
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2003, 09:33:12 AM »
Note: This post is all IMHO, and indeed subjective :-D

Well, I don't really like Teotwins additions to Simo's designs at all. While its obvious he's a talented artist, I don't know what he was thinking when he came up with that!

First, the curved window top is just horrible. A curved top with square bottom corners is just visually really unappealing imho.

Secondly, that close gadget is just really horrible looking.

The "all in one super gadget" is something that would have all professional human-interface experts going crazy! In practice it would be confusing, counter-intuitive, and introduce a steeper learning curve for beginners. Its no good "clearing up clutter" for the sake of aesthetics at the cost of usability. I really don't see whats wrong with the system we have now!
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #74 from previous page: June 09, 2003, 09:40:41 AM »
@Tickly:

I was thinking about the visual aspect. For using it, there need to be more screens and indeed that "all in one super gadget" is not a good idea.

But at least he is an artist. The default OS4 (allthough Matthew from Zeoneo did say that it was not finished and that time was too short for the demo) looks extremely dull, boring, outdated. Indeed, they have succeeded in what they were trying to do: make it look like an Amiga. (from which the last official GUI look is from 1992 or so).
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...