Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Future AmigaOS GUI  (Read 18517 times)

Description:

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
Re: Future AmigaOS GUI
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2003, 05:18:16 AM »
I just posted in another thread congratulating the new OS4 look, but after further observation, I really am beginning to think that its a very dated OS3.9 lookalike.

If OS4 looked anything like SimoAmi's contribution then I would order OS4 in an instant, as would others who are not Amiga savvy users (newcomers). Unfortunately this is not the case and the Hyperion may lose alot of ground and potential customers because of their apparent disregard for todays very competitive GUI standards. A GUI doesn't make an OS, but it sure sells the idea of one. And that cannot be denied.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2003, 06:07:05 AM »
@simoami

I think its time we got away from the standard layout out windows. Its old and cluttered. osx seems to have made it half way but ended up becoming too simple in functionalty (in my opinion)

Following it a sample layout i thought of a while back implemented on your window design (sorry i butchered it and my fonts are crap). The major differences between my idea and normal window layouts are:

1. The title bar is not a visibly seperate entity than the window itself (ala osx) as i believe a visually seperate division just add clutter when many windows are open. This way its much faster for the eye to recognise a complete window

2. I thought that standard window functions could be grouped in a recessed area with things such as menus (in window like windows), buttons, status bars etc. This keeps extra things like status bars off the bottom of the window (havent put in a status on my example yet) One thing also worth considering it putting the everyday button normally at the bottom of the screen like "OK" and "CANCEL" somewhere in the recess group, but i havent thought of a good way to do this (or if it would be too hard to use) so its not in the pic yet.

3. One extra window gadget i though of is a window tab, as in my example its actually within the recessed group. Works the same as normal tabs but the entire lower window is within it. There would still be a need to normal inner tabs (eg where the entire window should not be one tab, it would not be appropriate for the image i posted just above as the entire window is not to be grouped in the tabs etc etc) but for simple preferences screens and simple apps i think it would be a fantastic way to simplify the layout without the normal clutter look of inner tabs.

4. My proudest idea is also the visually smallest one. The super gadget replaces all of the resize, maximise, minimise, move to front/back buttons on windows. The idea is that the different click you can do on it will perform all of the same functions, i.e:

left click + drag = move window
right click + drag = resize window
single left click = move to front
single right click = move to back
left double click = maximise
right double click = minimise

six in one, All from one icon!

The only thing you would have to get used to is resizeing windows from the top right not the bottom right.

feel free to redo my design if you like, im sure you can improve on it substantially. Perhaps we could get a list of killer ideas for a gui and sent it of to the official channels?

btw, why dont you post your pics to the images area, and put the background pic up a seperate pic in the backgrounds area as well :-)

Offline SimoAmiTopic starter

• Show only replies by SimoAmi
    • http://www.maroctour.com
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2003, 07:08:00 AM »
@TeoTwin

Thanks for bringing additional ideas

Perhaps we could set up a some pages to illustrate new concepts.

The resize idea idea is good but if the window is large or larger than the screen, you would have to scroll to reach it each time you want to do some basic window operations. The idea can definitely be developed and shown in a scripted flash movie.

The tabs look good, although we don't need a menu bar. Right clicking on an active window/dialog would show a menu on the main top bar, as in the regular OS.

This is what I was thinking of for windows and dialogs resizing:

Offline HMetal

• Show only replies by HMetal
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2003, 08:01:51 AM »
I have always loved SimoAmi's (and Mark Rickan's too) work and I would love to see this or something similar as a future look.

But, guys, give Hyperion some credit here.  They're getting near the end result of the hard job of doing the port to PPC native first.   They've done excellent jobs so far.

Once the initial port/release is out there, I'd love to see an Intuition & Workbench reworking as an update or "next" version  (maybe 4.1 or 4,2?) with hooks to replace ANY and all graphic display pieces, in order for talented guys like Simo and Mark to create killer themes.

Maybe it'll happen.  I'm sure if you guys, who are pushing for Amiga/Hyperion/OS4 to succeed, holler loud enough someone at Amiga and Hyperion, other than me, will notice your wants. :-)
Ray A. Akey / AKA HMetal

Offline SnowBord

• Show only replies by SnowBord
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2003, 08:07:31 AM »
Firstly, great work!  Second, I like the resize idea.
The official screens are an improvement, but in all honestly look pants when compared to a modern OS.

SimoAmi has made a good effort at it..

You can't REALLY blame Hyperion for the look of OS4.. they're practically porting / re-engineering an entire OS!  They have made great strides in improving the 'hidden workings'  of the OS.  This is crucial...
Crucial to make developers consider coding for the OS.

However, indeedy how about getting immediate funds from us, joe public??  Make it look nice, that's the answer.  If it looks pretty, people will want it..

I guess they're prioritising.. but it still looks a bit old and stale... There aren't enough images in e.g. listviews, window titles or tabs.  MUI had it yeeears ago!

Also, here's an OBVIOUS missing detail in OS4's GUI - centering the buttons (save / cancel etc.) at the bottom of the screen!

And a good usability feature - allowing for direct manipulation in the gradient setting pane!
i.e.  rotate a sphere with a line emitted from the center to display the gradient angle... updated in real time!

OS4 looks indeed configurable GUI - wise, but is it enough - will SimoAmi be able to remotely re-create his concept??

Still, as I said, kudos to Hyperion... you have done a lot more, I am sure, than just updated the look of the OS.  I wait patiently for 4.1/4.2 (and 4.0, hehe!).

Thing is, it may have the nicest personality but who goes for personality at first sight?? (and it's personality has somewhat been improved, but still needs more work).
OS4 has had it's first facelift.. now it only needs a few more session with the plastic surgeon to get it looking all curvy and seductive..

Only with future OS releases can Amiga even CONSIDER making a comeback.

Just some ideas.. what do u think??

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2003, 08:24:35 AM »
@HMetal
But, guys, give Hyperion some credit here

Of course, the screen shots just released have substantially eased my fear that the previous pastel-bench ;-) theme would not be the default. And its good to boot, a substantial improvment! My post are not comments born of critisism, they are ideas born of dreams.

To be honest, the functionality i suggest would probably be unfeasable as present anyway, as its too far off what we have currently and may require some substantial development of intuition. Maybe the multi-gadget (yes ive just renamed it from super gadget) would be the only able to be done easily? So as far as having these sort of enhancements for aos4, i think not! perhaps aos5? Time tol get some ideas together and start hollering at hyperion/a-inc as you suggest.

Mitch.
ps, who is Mark Rickan, does anyone know where can i browse some work of his?

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2003, 08:53:03 AM »

@teotwin wrote:
Mitch.
ps, who is Mark Rickan, does anyone know where can i browse some work of his?

Mark Rickan is my partner for most successful work ;-)

Together we won the Club Amiga Logo contest and made the t-shirt design after that. We also made OS4 Banner that you see here on A.org. The geared boing ball is his idea.

We worked on several web projects and he has great inspirations too.

Posting this GUI concepts at the same time as AmigaOS screeshots is a pure coincidence.

Hyperion guys are doing a great job and should be rewarded for their efforts.

I just thought it's not right to let many hours/days of hard work go away !

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2003, 09:00:18 AM »
And yes, this is not just a simple mock-up but rather a visual representation of ideas that may inspire developers and designers as well.

If you can display Flash 5 Clips from your browser, take a look at this:

Main Menu dynamically illustrated

You can click the arrows on top to display menus/switch screens.

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2003, 09:27:01 AM »
@SimoAmi:

I for one had always hoped that you would be the one to do the new OS4 theme. Seems they chose someone else (the mysterious person we don't know).

Quite frankly, in the 4 screens that were published now, i can't see any work of a graphics artist (unless you call texturing backgrounds and window bars with the classic dull grey MWB pattern work of a graphic artist).

It's quite sad.
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline Rudei

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2003, 10:25:22 AM »
@ SimoAmi and TeoTwin

I really like your ideas - and the look of the GUI is simply fantastic.  I hope some of your talents are put to good use.

Rude!
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline Jim

• Show only replies by Jim
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2003, 10:47:08 AM »
I've always loved that concept and really want it as the default look  :-D

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2003, 11:01:21 AM »
it's a shame the concept looks so much better then the real thing... as-is I dont think I'll touch AOS4... I'd buy it on general principal if it looked like the concept...

Offline Step

• Show only replies by Step
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2003, 11:25:23 AM »
@SimoAmi

The mockup is great, i love that title bar.
When it comes to the windows and dialogs resizing, i really think that the controls should be visible even when not hovering, perhaps ghosted or semi transparent but stil visible, and it would be useful if it was possible to klick on the text instead of just the button when you switch from workbench to fruityloops in the dynamic title bar flash thingy.

:sealed: Think, before :ranting:

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2003, 11:29:35 AM »
Sure SimoAmi's mockup is nice (although i don't like the HTML shell idea at all, and I DO NOT want windows style explorer windows), but I don't get all the people saying that the OS4 default look doesn't look "modern" enough.

I think if you compare the OS4 default theme to the OS X or XP default themes, OS4 easily looks better. IMHO, of course.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2003, 11:32:46 AM »
the Icons look like a 1980's dream... not a 1990's dream... let alone a 00's dream...

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 08, 2003, 11:34:23 AM »
What do "21st Century icons" look like?

I quite like the new OS4 screenshots.  They're not super-exciting admittedly, but then come on!  This is the Amiga community we're talking about!  The amount of bizarre themes you guys use, why do you care?  You're going ot customise it, just like I will!

I just hope OS4 is as responsive as its predecessors.