Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP  (Read 65491 times)

Description:

Offline billt

• Show all replies
    • http://www.billtoner.net
Re: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:16:11 PM »
>If you can put linux on it, you can put AOS 4.

They why'd they tell me it won't happen for an iBook?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:21:48 PM »
>You tell me what a GC couldn't do running OS4 that the A1 can/should/will?

It all boils down to the whole "running OS4" bit.

Who's going to pay Amiga or Hyperion or whoever handles such things for the license to port it? Who's going to get the docs from Nintendo so it can be properly supported? (No, I wouldn't ask anyone to reverse-engineer the Linux sources to make AmigaOS drivers for everything in there...) No license, no OS4 for GC. No docs, no drivers, etc...
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 01:35:34 AM »
lou_dias:

Dude, you sound awfully excited about this idea. Technologically there's no real reason it cannot happen. The problems are documentation and licensing to allow it to happen.

As you seem so determined that Flipper documentation can so easily be had from ATI, and the CPU documentation can so easily be had from IBM, I offer you the challenge to present your business proposal to these and other companies involved (Hyperion and Amiga Inc/KMOS, Nintendo, etc.) and request said documentation. Offer to sign NDAs where necessary. Don't just run in shouting you want AmigaOS on Gamecube, make a respectable proposal to present to these guys, they're businessmen and will want to know about the money they will make from this venture. There may be licensing fees required to make certain things possible that you'll have to pay.

After you've done this and obtained all documentation required, including full CPU instruction set, especially the differences between it and a "standard" PowerPC chip, Flipper's full programming model, and the programming models for all built-in accessories of both CPU and flipper like serial port controllers, CD controller, memory controller, etc. as well as obtaining an AmigaOS HAL and driver development kits, then please come back to us and request programmers serious about doing the work. They'll likely need to legally be considered "employees" of your venture to be covered by your NDA contracts, regardless of if they work for pay or for free.

Please understand that while documentation may exist for certain things, there may also be contractual agreements in place preventing certain such documentation being shared with people not directly involved with the Gamecube. For example, Nintendo may have a contract preventing ATI from releasing documentation for Flipper to you or Hyperion or Amiga Inc. Likewise for the customized PowerPC CPU from IBM. Even if some parties are willing, it only takes one rejection to wreck the whole project. With the Gamecube development kit you've mentioned, game developers do not need to know such intimate details of the chips, so I'd be suprised if they are allowed to see the chip documentation.

That doesn't make a hypothetical AmigaOS porter's life easy though, as you cannot for example make a Picasso96 driver without knowing the chip's programming model. And relying too much on the existing GamecubeOS will give you a result similar to Shapeshifter or Amithlon, where  your hypothetical AmigaOS "port" would not be the "OS", it would at best be an "application pretending to be an OS".

Please understand that just because something may be technologically possible doesn't mean it will ever happen. Personally I'd love to see AmigaOS native on an iBook, but there doesn't seem to be an agreeable business in that for those controlling certain licenses required. Gamecube is going to be even less realistic to these businessmen. There's nothing you or I or anybody else here can do to change that.

If you still disagree about this, then again, please write up a business proposal and present it to those you'll need documentation, licenses and development kits from, dance the business politics dance, and prove us nay-sayers wrong. I would not be unhappy to be proven wrong, as if you can do it then there's a better chance of getting what I want done. :)
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 07:09:54 PM »
@lou_dias
>As the developer of the ATI drivers for OS4, you obviously
>stand to benefit from the OS in it's current design...

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I stand to "benefit" to a SMALL extent from sales including the Radeon driver I'm involved with, yes, but I don't see what the OS's current design has to do with that. I also do not expect to see returns that will completely pay for the hardware I've personally purchased for this venture, there's a good bit of charity in there from a lot of people that merely wanted something enough to pay so much for it, like I've paid so much so that I can have better than a Voodoo3 card in my own Amiga. Not everyone is in the charity business though, and real companies like ATI will need convinced that they will show some profit from the venture before they'll allow me or you to grant our own money on something not profitable to ourselves.

Also realize that anyone can write graphics drivers for OS4 in its current design. You could even get documentation from ATI or reverse-engineer the Linux driver code if you like and directly compete with our Radeon driver if you like. Nothing exists that makes our driver "exclusive" or anything...

>What I did is put an idea out there. A feasible one if you
>ask me since the hardware actually exists and is in the hands
>of 18.8 million people. It is up to Hyperion and maybe even
>you to ge a license and really see what can be done and if
>it's worth doing.

The number of people owning the hardware isn't what's important, the number of people that would buy AmigaOS for Gamecube is important. You've used web browsing as one example for using AmigaOS on Gamecube. How many Gamecube owners want that capability, and of those how many are willing to pay for it?

>So I ask you, if a HAL was written that supplied the
>established Amiga OS 4 API for the Gamecube, could the
>Gamecube not launch Amiga OS compliant applications that
>also run on an A1?

That's what a HAL does, it fits between the specific hardware and the defined common API the apps use, yes. The problem is, who will make this HAL for Gamecube? Apparently no one in this forum is doing it. No one is going to do it because you want it to be done. You have to convince enough people that they will get something out of it in return, including Nintendo, KMOS, Hyperion, and perhaps ATI and IBM though I think any Gecko or Flipper documentation would more likely be requested from Nintendo than them, simply as the chips are customized to Nintendo's specifications, they probably hold the rights to it.

Who all do you need licenses from to allow you to make this HAL?
How much do they cost?
How much do the development kits cost?
How much will you have to pay the programmers to do it?
Is the Gamecube dev kit adequate for porting AmigaOS? (It may not be, if you believe it is be prepared to explain why in great detail...)
If not, what additional information is required? (Gecko/Flipper programming models/register descriptions, etc.?)
Who do you get that from? (Does Gecko/Flipper documentation come from ATI/IBM or from Nintendo? My guess is Nintendo.)

>Wouldn't just being able to run IBrowse(bundled with the GC
>version) on the GC be a selling point?

A selling point from who's perspective? The Gamecube users won't want to pay for such an outdated browser, it can't even do hotmail these days, ebay is awkward, etc. with it. That's not the web browsing experience Gamecube users want. Tha's not the browsing experience *I* want, so I mostly use Firefox on my PC instead these days. You'll need Java, Shockwave, Flash, Mpeg, Quicktime, Real, and Windows Media playback capability for these users to be willing to pay for it, as if any site they like doesn't work, they ain't gonna buy your AmigaOS/IBrowse kit for the Gamecube... Besides, they'll have to buy extra hardware such as the kayboard, mouse, and perhaps the Action Replay or whatever cartridge you mentioned, and perhaps a hard drive kit in addition to the software package. Are enough Gamecube owners willing to go to THAT expense to browse the web or do other things you have in mind on their Gamecube, or are they more likely to just walk over to their PC for such things instead of buying all the Gamecube stuff?

From Nintendo's perspective, how will it grow their revenues? Do they hand out dev kits to just anyone able to pay for the fee for it? Or might they be somewhat selective about who they think can make a viable business able to pay any recurring costs, licenses per copy sold, or whatever else they might require?

From ATI's or IBM's perspective, Is this even their stuff to worry about, or are they simply a component supplier selling chips partially designed by Nintendo to Nintendo?

From KMOS's/Hyperion's perspective, how and how much money can they actually make from this in the really real world? Do you have a way to accaptably appease their concerns about piracy or other problems as seen by them?

> It is up to Hyperion and maybe even you to ge a license
> and really see what can be done and if it's worth doing.

Dude, how did this become MY responsibility to make your idea come true? Don't work that way... You need to get the licenses together yourself, including the AmigaOS license. If you think this is a truely viable business model, write up a respectable proposal and present it to the proper people, who include managment at KMOS, Hyperion, Nintendo, and perhaps ATI and IBM though I'm not as certain about those two. Arguing with users in this forum is the wrong place, the wrong presentation method, and us readers/users are the wrong people to convince. If you want your idea to go anywhere, it will be YOUR responsibility to develop the business around it. The other companies will of course be part of such a business if you can do it, but it's not their responsibility to develop YOUR business plan and execute it for you.

I'd like a few things to happen as well, but no one else is doing them. It's no one else's responsibility to do so. If I want them to happen, it's MY responsibility to make it possible, same as your responsibility for your idea here. You may be right about real potential in your idea, but get out of this forum and present it properly to the proper people, and make it so. You've seen that no one in this forum is going to do it for you, so it's back on your shoulders where it never even moved from... If it's not worth it to you who wants it done to go out and do this, then why should businessmen who need convincing do it for you? Besides, it's your idea, you should be involved in its implementation if one is ever made.
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:22:43 AM »
>Now would be the time for a legitimate developer who cares
>about promoting the Amiga platform to join the revolution
>(pardon the pun).

Again, why don't you sit down and write up a business plan around your idea? Simply saying that some developer that's not you should "Port AmigaOS to Gamecube/Revolution" is not anywhere near a business plan. You need to be convincing to those who make financial decisions. Do you even know what Nintendo's contract terms for such an undertaking are? No, you don't just buy a dev kit and go to work...

What are Nintendo's terms for distributing software that runs on their hardware? Do they get a license fee of any kind, and how much? How much detail does hardware documentation (ie. as needed to write drivers for it) include inthe dev kit? Is this suitable, or must more detailed documentation be licensed seperately? What terms and fees are associated with that? And on and on and on.

Do some research into this. Get some real answers to such questions that any businessman will want answered before he'd ever seriously consider such a thing. Guesses are equal to "I have no clue". Assumptions are equal to "I have no clue". Beliefs are equal to "I have no clue". You either know each particular detail for absolute fact and would be willing to bet a very large sum of money (as in many many many thousands of dollars, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars) that you are correct, or you have no clue on each particular detail. You're asking some developer to wager such a large sum of money to do this for you, it's only fair to ask that you're personally willing to lose that same amount of money in your proposal if you're wrong. If you are not willing to wager your own money, then why should the businessman you're pitching it to take the same risk on your behalf?

If you seriously pitched this business plan to someone, why would he be willing to risk his house being reposessed? Not a dumb question, as a mortgage sized bank loan would likely be required, and possibly much more than that, to actually do what you're talking about. If you have well researched and good answers to the kinds of detailed questions a businessman would ask, there may be an opportunity for you to make money here.

If you're not willing to do the research yourself, you must not believe in it enough to be worth your time. And if it isn't worth your time or energy to find out so much information for yourself (to explain to developers/bunenessmen), then you'll never talk a businessman or developer into it either.
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 03:41:53 AM »
>>    The Amiga never had Overlay support.

>Right, so you could never throw Amiga graphics over live
>video...mmmm k.

That's not what overlay is. You may be thinking of genlock, which is something entirely different.

> Gekko is a PPC just like a 1997 Pontiac Firebird is like a
>1998 Firebird. It's just better than the FX and has some
>Altivec ala G4 and a faster fsb.

What exactly do you mean by "has some Altivec" up there? If it doesn't have full altivec, then it's not really the same thing is it?

It may be fairer to compare Gekko to G4 like Camaro comares to Firebird. They are both made by GM, both use F-frames to hold the car together, were largely built in the same factory, and have some other things in common, but are also quite different at the same time. I also like the 680x0 to Coldfire comparison someone else mentioned as well, where someone went to great lengths around here to explain that some instruction opcodes in Coldfire give quite different results as the same opcode in 68K gives, which becomes problematic.
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 01:49:43 AM »
Ack, just realized how old the post I replied to was, that was probably beaten to death since then.

Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 09:35:28 PM »
>Convince Foxconn(WinFast graphic card fame)(ODM of Apple’s
>Mac-Mini) and ASUS(everybody should already know this
>ODM)(ODM of Apple’s Powerbook) to release bare bone PPC based products.

Brush up on your marketing and speaking skills, put together a decent business proposal describing how they can make money at this, and make yourself some appointments with these guys to discuss it with them. And remember, these people are accustomed to selling in quantities of hundreds of thousands, not hundreds or maybe thousands. These companies don't read Amiga forums, so you have to take this stuff to them.

Discussing ideas here is fun and all, but won't get anything done or started.

Keep in mind that they will want to know how they will make big bucks on such a thing, they aren't looking for a charitable cause to support. Who will pay any OS4 licensing fees? Why should they pay it? How many units can they sell, and at what retail, and at what cost to them?

If you don't know how much components or licenses cost, you do not have a business proposal. If you do not have a good idea of how many units they can sell, you do not have a business proposal. If you do not have a good reason for them to pay any OS licensing fees that will result in big returns to them, then you do not have a business proposal.

Once you've got answers to the sorts of things an MBA will ask of you, then you can start talking to the businessmen who make such decisions. Such discussions have already shown that no one else here is going to do that for you, so if you aren't up to doing something like this, then the idea is toast before you discuss it here.

Now, get to work! :)

Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 09:06:11 PM »
>no overpriced extremely outdated hardware
> I just found out I am refinancing on Friday so I will have loads of disposable income.

You have to refinance (I'm guessing mortgage) in order to get this stuff?! Wow, I'm sure there's a huge market for running AmigaOS on such expensively hacked hardware. ;) ;)

>and an easy upgrade path to Nintendo Revolution hardware

For games developers perhaps. If you take away their OS, is the hardware register compatible with GameCube hardware, or will new drivers have to be written? I'd expect the latter. Can we get proper documentation for both to develop drivers for? Can we get CPU docs to properly support those, to avoid compatibility issues like the 750GX in uA1 did initially?
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »
> Since you like writing ATI drivers ( :) ) why don't you
> check out gc-linux.org and write a driver for them guys.

There's a number of reasons.

Time - I've got my day job, the driver thing, a rental property to keep up, I'm on the board of directors for a non-profit organization, and a couple other projects. There's only so many hours in the day, and I have to start saying no to things or I'll never finish anything for any of them. My day job can be quite demanding, and must take priority over anything else. You have no idea how much time or effort can be involved with this, I do, and I'm not up for it.

Documentation - I don't have any for hte Gamecube's chip. Just because ATI fabs it doesn't mean it has any relation whatsoever to Radeon. As I understand they bought the company that was designing this chip, so I have no reason to expect the registers are laid out even remotely the same as what I know about.

Licensing - it seems the Linux on Gamecube guys do not want any contributions from anyone that has the official Nintendo SDK or any official documentation from Nintendo. Nintendo's SDK/documentation NDAs probably do not allow implementing their secret stuff into open-source software. Seems these Linux guys are afraid that such a situation could be bad for the legality of the project. So proper documented support of anything there is actually unwanted, and I am not going to go to the extreme efforts to buy an logic analyzer (these can cost half as much as my house did!) and then spend enormous amounts of time probing around to try and figure out how things work.

There's other issues that I can't discuss.

Besides, I'd have to buy a Gamecube and all those addons for it, and I've got far higher priorities to spend money on than all that stuff.

> Atleast it's evolution vs. displacement.

That doesn't mean a driver for Gamecube will work on Revolution. For the games developers, the API may be the same, but for drivers hitting the hardware, the registers may not be. And with the Linux guys not wanting real NDAed documentation to pollute their legality, it'd be too much work and expense for me to bother finding out.
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 06:45:46 PM »
>Also, I've seen usb keyboard that act as a usb hub. They
>offer usb ports right on the keyboard so I still don't see
>the limitation there.

But ultimately this keyboard/hub combo must plug into a USB host port on the PC. If you don't have a host port to plug this thing into the GameCube, then no one is in charge of things, and the slaves are not being bossed around to actually do anything. Plug a bunch of slaves into the same USB hub, and see how well they communicate with each other. Realize that a hub is not a host of its own, it requires a true host to be involved. Hubs don't have USB stack software or know what a camera or disk-on-key or printer or mouse or keyboard are or how to talk to each different type of device, it just directs traffic.

And if the qoob is only a USB slave, then thre simply may not be any connecting circuitry in the thing allowing the Gamecube to control it. It may only have some control logic to flash the ROM and nothing more. That's not enough to let your keyboard boss around the gamecube's currently running user interface. Have you asked the manufacturers of qoob if it has host capability so Linux can use USB peripherals?

>with a 20 million unit installed base

How many of these have your qoob and other gizmos? Of those, how many are willing to pay for OS4? Of the non-qoob Gamecube owners, how many are willing to buy all the extra hardware and also pay for OS4? Is the total number of can and willing to pay for OS4 enough to justify the time and effort required to make OS4 run on Gamecube? I've not seen a compelling argument that there is.

Finally, is Nintendo interested in such a thing? If yes, it'd be happening already. If no, then it's effectively prevented from happening, as why would Hyperion want to sell an "illegitimate" piece of software that Nintendo could bankrupt them over?

You idea could be fun for some of us as users, but I'm just trying to be realistic, considering the business environment involved.
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 09:33:11 PM »
>Also you ignore the face that I own a $12 adapter that plugs
>into the GC's controller port that gives me a keyboard/mouse
>ps2 port and there is already a linux driver for it. So 2 of
>these in the GC's 4 ports give me keyboard, mouse and 2
>controllers.

Sorry, I thought the discussion was about using the qoob's USB port... My mistake.

>Then it could get ported to recognize GC hardware >independently of the OS then maybe someone could send them a
>compiled HAL with some headers and request an install with
>this HAL and sell that. Theoretically they never need to stay
>that the HAL is for the GC.

There's still legal liabiliies there. Even if there's no laws broken, Nintendo could still drain Hyperion or Amiga Inc's life away in courts, and in the end win when they put our side into bankruptcy. I wouldn't want Nintendo swinging their lawyers at me, no sane person would.

Plus you need to either have proper hardware documentation to write drivers for, or go to great efforts (and thus great expense) to reverse engineer what the drivers need to do. Getting the documentation, Nintendo can say no or enforce their rules. Doing it the hard way, well, perhaps no one has the time to do this, or no one has the money to provide motivation to complete this task.

In my own case I'd also have ATI's lawyers on my back for your Linux proposition. My contract with them says no open source drivers for their stuff, so even if I had the interest and free time, I'd still get sued and bring down my employer with me. I ain't gonna do that. Right or wrong, I certainly don't personally have enough money to out-lawyer these guys, so I follow the rules I'm bound to.

>Gamecubes are a dime a dozen.

Didn't you just say they were $50 for a single used unit or $99 for a new one? ;)

Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 09:43:46 PM »
>GC enthusiasts aren't bickering Amigans. Aleast not for another 10 or 15 years. :)

There's too many of them, and they have too many better things to talk about. They've got all those cool games, and all we have to discuss is cache coherency and DMA things it seems, or the business issues of porting to different cool hardware.

Long after Gamecube is abandoned by Nintendo and there's only a couple thousand people still using it, then they'll get an idea of what real life is like!
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »
>Anyway, what is stopping you from releasing an official linux
>ATI FLipper driver for the GC? You obviously have the skills
>and contacts.

I've already talked about the time aspect of it all. I don't have any left for such a thing. Also, I'm not the only one involved in my current project, and others know a great deal about their parts than I do, and they aren't interested.

The sum total of everything I know about the ATI Flipper is the name of the chip and the name of the manufacturer, an dI think it was designed by another company that ATI bought. That's it. You can't make a driver with that kind of detailed knowledge. And if I'm right in thinking ATI bought another company to get this chip, it's not likely Radeon driver compatible.

I think ATI wouldn't give me info on Nintendo's chip. While ATI manufactures it, that doens't mean they have rights to give me information about the thing. I don't have any contacts at Nintendo. Considering the Liux web site you mentioned previously indicates they are afraid that official SDK or documentation holders under NDA could ruin the legality of their project, and I don't want to piss off Nintendo's and/or ATI's lawyers, I won't go there.

> Somehow it must be possible to make money off of linux products.

A lot of companies already do. But those are for things running on PC hardware. Look at Sony, they used to sell a Linux kit for PSX2 but they stopped. Why? Maybe it didn't pay off in the case of a games console.

Gack, IT admin is rebooting our network, back in a while...
Bill T

Offline billt

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
>Well, Amiga isn't a console company which sells hardware at a
>loss... Hence Sales yields profits which yields growth.

Sales needs to reach a certain level to break even. If as an example you invest $200000 to create something, and you make $100 "profit" (after manufacturing/distribution costs) on each unit sold, you need to sell 2000 units to break even on the initial R&D investment. You don't make any "true profit" until you sell unit 2001, at which point you have $100 to show for yourself.

While we don't know what any real-life numbers are for Eyetech or the Troika thing, we can't say how many sales are required to surpass investments and start generating actual real-life profit. Eyetech hasn't given out numbers so we'r left to guesstimate on them, and Troika is purely guesswork as well for now.
Bill T