Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP  (Read 65479 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
Re: potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP
« on: January 31, 2005, 11:10:39 PM »
No it wouldn't.  The GC is a game machine.  And, as such will never replace a fully functioning computer.  There is a lack of expansion, and the expansions that are available are suitable for games only.  

For example, the Ethernet port has a maximum throughput of ~27Mb/s.  It can't even run 100Mb/s like a $.99 NIC.  There's also the lack of suitable mass storage.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:56:04 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
When I said the internet, I meant the real internet, it's routers and switches across the planet.  They run at 10Mb/s.  

Absolutely wrong.  Please check your facts before spouting such non-sense.

Anyway, I wasn't refering to the 27Mb/s as a problem for internet access.  I was refering to it as a problem because as of now everything needs to be streamed via BBA.  The SD card is only to load a boot file, then a PC server is needed to access the files.  You'd know this also if you did any research.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:10:35 AM »

lou_dias wrote:

The majority of the internet is still 10-based.  Get up off the floor and stop laughing.

No it isn't.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:18:45 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
Yes, that is my point!  It's a great idea!  Look what Nintendo did with the GBA Player for the GameCube.  It has a boot disk that goes instantly to the GBA player via the high speed parralel port.  Just picture an SX-1 type addon with a hard drive and with OS 4 booting and some USB ports and maybe a DVDdrive (or buy the Panasonic Q instead of a Gamecube to get a Gamecube that plays DVDs)...and the GBA player is cheaper than an actual GBA...

What does that prove?

Ok, so the boot disk enables the audio/video passthrough via the parallel port.  There is no emulation or processing going on in the GC besides the video overlays, menus, etc.  The GB Player has the complete GBA hardware inside minus the controls, screen, and audio output.

And, the GB Player was originally about the same price as the GBA.  I think I paid $89 for mine when it first came out.  Of course, since the GC isn't selling, they've cut the price on it and the accessories quite a bit.

But, then again, what does that prove?

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 02:21:08 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
you are kidding right?  You don't think an international multi billion dollar company with offices in Seatle doesn't have technichians who speak English?  I mean what is all GC software just Japanese imports from Japanese programmers?

In Nintendo's case, pretty much.  Besides the EA and Midway games, there isn't much that's US made for the GC.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:35 AM »

Ilwrath wrote:

I say the GameCube is a cool toy.  But one not really worthwhile pursuing use as a general computer.  I've put forward serious real-world performance numbers to back up my claim.  Until you are willing to show something beyond nebulus, baseless speculations for your side of the argument, I rest my case.

You don't expect anything more from a Nintendo fanboy do you?  Come on, the GC can process an infinate loop in 4 seconds, has the power of 1,000 Cray's, and can play Mario Kart.  Of course it can run AOS4.   :-)

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 12:53:35 AM »
@lou

Problem is you don't listen.  People gave you real facts to why it technically or logisticly wouldn't work.  Yet you ignore that and adamantly say it could.  Times change, what worked for Amiga 20+ years ago may not work today.    

That said, the GC is a good game machine.  My GC, bought the first day they came out, as well as my Panasonic Q get moderate useage.  I only wish Nintendo hadn't all but discarded their online plans.  IMHO, this is one of the reasons Nintendo is #3 in the home console market.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 08:51:58 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

Piru wrote:
Or the point is that no-one cares and has given up arguing.

obviously you haven't and have you noticed the 'views' count of this thread.  Obviously there is interest in this.

The topic title of "potential PPC Amiga REAL CHEAP" is misleading, resulting in hopefull people clicking it.  Plus, lots of "zealots" keep coming back to laugh at a Nintendo fanboy's ramblings.

Had you called the thread "OS4 on Gamecube" things would probably be different.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
You can call me a Nintendo fanboy.  Atleast I'm not a blind zealot praying and waitng for overpriced outdated technology.  Do you own an A1?  Are you simply justifying your foolhardy purchase by bashing me like a heretic?  If not, do you even plan on buying one?  Why or why not?  Please enlighten us.

No, I don't own an A1.  

No, I'm not bashing you because I bought one, I'm bashing you because your idea is silly for reasons stated on page one of this thread.  If you started a thread about OS4 on Mac Mini I'd agree, because thats a suitable platform for the OS.  But, as a Nintendo fanboy you think the GC can do everything, including host a fairly modern OS.  Well, it can't.

No, not unless the price is dropped, bugs are fixed, and OS4 is finished.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:27:50 AM »

lou_dias wrote:

The GC is already running Linux.
http://www.gc-linux.org/

The GC Linux can not be considered modern by any means.  Just because it has the name Linux, doesn't mean it has all of the features (ie. no X Windows, etc.).  There is simply no way to overcome the RAM and local storage limitations on console systems.  

@MDMA

See above.  Sure console systems have Linux, some have rather good ports (GC is very primitive comparitively).  But, you can't overcome the hardware.  In the case of the Xbox there are memory and CPU upgrades available that make it more usable, but it's still cripled compared to a modern x86 port.

OS4 will not run on 24Mb of RAM.  It's simply not possible.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 01:40:59 AM »

lou_dias wrote:

I also heard they had officially given up PPC NT support.  I wouldn't be surprised if the were just using Metrowerks' Code Warrior (just like PS2 and Gamecube) on the MAC and opengl in order to get more cross-platform games that would come out on the PS2/3 first...

I doubt it.  All signs point to a Microsoft supplied development tool.  This might change, but Metrowerks didn't have a development tool for the first Xbox either.  Also, I've seen several accounts of the Mac G5's being temporary until real development boxes are available.  (We'll see what the games are running on at this year's E3 I guess).

Also, developing PS3 games on a Mac wouldn't be that useful because the differences in architecture.  It's likely Sony will produce something like the old PSTool with Linux running on a cell processor.  Of course, the CodeWarrior option would be eventually available for cross-compiling but it will likely be PC based also.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 01:55:53 AM »

ottomobiehl wrote:
Too bad it was released the same week as HALO 2...

I can say with great pride that I have never played HALO 2.  For that matter, I've never played the original HALO.  I would never buy an Xbox.  I don't know how Microsoft spent all of that R&D money to come up with basically an underpowered PC.

It's a shame that you haven't played 2 of the best 1st person shooters of all time.  

The Xbox hardware is perfectly suitable for games.  It's just as powerful as the other consoles of it's generation.  For reference, the GCN's Gekko is roughly the equivilent power of a P3-700MHz.  So, you could say "I don't know how Nintendo spent all of that R&D money to come up with basically an underpowered Mac.".  I would add that Nintendo spends just as much money yet lost their #2 slot for home consoles to Microsoft.  If anything, the PS2 is more dated and less powerful, but still is #1 and has the best game catalog.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 12:01:48 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
A quick note about Nintendo:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7848

Also, Nintendo only lost the #2 spot this Christmas shopping season due to the spurred sales of people wanting to play HALO 2.  

Yes, they lost it, and have yet to gain it back.  All indications prior showed MS and GC in dead heat with Sony waaaaaay out front.  Remember, we're talking about console only, not handheld.  The only reason Nintendo can continue to operate they way they do is because of Gameboy sales.  (ie. failures like Virtual Boy and Gamecube would likely bankrupt a lesser company)

The dark horse is Nintendo.  What I've read so far is that once again an existing chip (G5) is being enhanced per Nintendo specs (just like the G3 was) and it will include a 15GB hard drive.  Not to mention no-fee online play features and built-in Wi-Fi capabilities.  This CPU is called 'Broadway'.

This is nothhing new for Nintendo.  Remember the N64 used a custom MIPS CPU.  

As for the online play, I'll believe it when I see it.  In the case of the GCN it was a waste because the small number of games that supported it.  

It will also act as a hub for the Nintendo DS handheld to allow it to go online for free as well.

See above.  Had they used standard wifi you could do this now, not have to wait for the service to be available.  I play Twisted Metal free now on my PSP using my home router.

It will be backwards compatible with GC software and controllers as well.  It seems like Nintendo learns from it's mistakes and competitors quickly.

Define "quickly".  This is Nintendo's first home console with backwards compatibility.  I wouldn't say 20+ years is quick.

There are too many +'s to own Revolution over the other sytems.  The only real reason to own some other system for the next-gen is to play some exclusive titles.  As far as first party games, Nintendo has them all beat hands down.

The big -'s are that it doesn't exist.  So, you shouldn't bet on a winner this early in the game.  

As for first party games, if you want to play yet another Mario game, then sure.  But, Nintendo puts out lots of stinkers (Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox Adventures, WarioWare, etc.?) using their licensees.  If we were talking strictly about the GCN, then you could say the only reason to buy a GCN would be to play a few exclusive titles.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 01:24:26 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
Define "quickly".  This is Nintendo's first home console with backwards compatibility.  I wouldn't say 20+ years is quick.

It's obvious you are just a Nintendo-hater.  That's fine, I'm an admitted MS-hater but I can still look at things objectively.

You look at things objectively?  Not so far.

Not sure where the "Nintendo-hater" came from.  I have a huge collection of Nintendo products from the NES to GCN (including Japanese systems like a SFC, the Panasonic Q, etc.) as well as a ton of games both US and Japanese.  I don't know where the hate comes in when I'm just stating a fact.  They have never had a backwards compatible home console system, FACT!

The big -'s are that it doesn't exist.  So, you shouldn't bet on a winner this early in the game.  

Revolution will exist...Just more hate on your part.

Learn to read please.  

The specs are hardly finalized enough to have any idea of how good the system and/or games will be and how it will stack up against other consoles in development.

F-Zero, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 - did you forget those?  Excellent games.  MP2 was runner-up to game of the year across many a magazine.  Fire Emblem?  Star Fox Assault is kick ass.  S F Adventures was an excellent game but varied from the traditional S F formula and that's the only bad thing anyone can say about it.  Also, Nintendo has stated that it will start NEW franchises, more 'adult' ones on Revolution.  Oh lest not we forget Zelda.  This coming holiday season will see Link in all his glory and only on the Gamecube.

Again, try reading the message, not looking for some secret meaning.  Sure, they have some good games, every console does.  But, Nintendo tends to take it's licensed characters and make bad sequels to games.  SFA is a perfect example.  It was originally a N64 game (or DD, I can't remember) that was cancelled, needing GCN games, Nintendo repackaged it with Starfox characters and the result was just not that special.  

And yes, Mario 128 will be a launch title and it will kick ass and break ground like Mario 64 did.

Pure speculation, since nobody has ever seen a single frame of the game running.  

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 04:22:42 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
Hey, how do you like buying 8 copies of a game in order to play against 7 of your near-by PSP-owning friends?  Not so on the DS, everyone just downloads it from the one with the copy and all can join in on the fun.  Advantage - Nintendo.

Some more facts for you...

- Not all games will support "DS Download Play" single game card multiplayer, some games still need copies for each player.
- Of the games that do support it often they don't offer the complete game in multiplayer. (ie like GBA single pak multiplayer)
- PSP games like THUG and Twisted Metal DO support this (un-oficially)
- PSP works on wireless LAN/hotspot NOW (not in development, promised, etc.  NOW!)
Advantage - PSP