Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Red vs. Blue - A Comment from Dave Haynie  (Read 1626 times)

Description:

Offline TygreTopic starter

Red vs. Blue - A Comment from Dave Haynie
« on: February 08, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
Hi all!

Sorry if this has already been reported: ArsTechnica ran a series on the Amiga and its last installment, entitled "A history of the Amiga, part 12: Red vs. Blue" includes an interesting comment by Dave Haynie

I wouldn't exactly say my heart was broken... I was just fed up with all the vultures and crooks trying to get a little taste of the Amiga's mouldering body before the bones turned to dust. Or something along those lines.

There were too many wanna-bes fighting over a tiny little bit of possible sales, and more often than not just ripping off Amiga fans. One big strength of the Amiga experience has always been the community, the users who became nearly as passionate about their computers as they did their art, their music, their video, etc. Those are the people who really deserved better, and I didn't want to be any part of another promise to them that some idiot wasn't going to let me keep. But I never gave up on the community.

Things have actually got much better lately. Kind of like the boardwalk in Asbury Park... if something on value to enough people gets bad enough, it doesn't take a whole lot to get it going back in the right direction. Trevor and A-EON didn't create the weird situation with PowerPC and Amiga, but they're the real deal, they're not trying to rip anyone off, just deliver some kind of new Amiga without going to deeply into debt. And it's a good time for it, because the originals are starting to fail. It has been decades. There are a bunch of projects, like the Vampire accelerators, the Amiga chips and other things being built in FPGAs, building classic Amigas from scratch again, in one form or another. I'm expecting an "Amy-ITX" to arrive at my house in the next few weeks.

Sure, Amigas may never be a big business again. Without real ongoing OS development, it's kind of frozen in time here and there. Then again, they seem to have got multiprocessing on AROS last year... only 24 years after Randell Jesup and I tried to something abotu that at Commodore with the Gemini project.

Keep the faith,

-Dave Haynie

The whole article (and series) is also worth reading
Happy reading!

The following users thanked this post: TribbleSmasher

Offline kamelito

Re: Red vs. Blue - A Comment from Dave Haynie
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:41:18 AM »
Gemini project I wasn’t aware of this one.

Offline kolla

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
Note that he says that Commodore, they _tried_, not that they succeeded.
AROS will make it.

Ironically, from what I recall, Carl Sassenrath was working at Apple at the time, and there they had managed multiprocessing and pre-emptive multitasking MacOS and whatnot, but were told by sales department that such advanced features were not in the interest of the customers, and would only make the systems more expensive than they already were.

B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
Gemini project I wasn’t aware of this one.

https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=224

Based on the above link it looks like they were pretty close. If Commodore management hadn't intervened and screwed up they probably would have been successful. I imagine this would have been a game changer for Video Toaster/Lightwave machines.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
AROS will make it.

Gemini was more a test bed for the rev 8 buster. I don't think it was ever designed to be turned into a product.

I think it worked as far as they went. Trying to make two separate CPU boards operate as a single Amiga is hard though, much harder than using multiple cores on a single modern cpu.