Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Keyboard (sans the name)  (Read 5067 times)

Description:

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
Re: AmigaOne Keyboard (sans the name)
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 22, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
Quote from: mbrantley;571598
I am glad to hear it.

As am I.

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;571605
So you're a consumer champion?
In a sense that IMHO the customers deserve to know how much the customization costs: How much are you paying for the AmigaONE decal and the customized "windows" keys (oh and the much praised HELP key!).

Obviously there are people who will be more than willing to pay the difference.

I've always had a great interest on HW being sold to amiga users. For instance I am sure amigakit remembers my persistent questions about ZorRAM performance. Some may remember my critique of Elbox (Mediator marketing vs real life performance, placing RDB trashing code inside the USB driver, SharkPPC being a Crescendo rebadged, Dragon coldfire failure I predicted). Years ago I tried to straighten up some of the lies spread by the Haage&Partner about the PowerUP system. I also called the Troika lie of doing 2 year resdesign and actually presenting a reference board instead. I'm sure many will remember my harsh questioning of the project management quality of the NatAmi.

My actions have also lead to a telecommunication manufacturer to release source code to their devices: http://www.sintonen.fi/telewell_gpl/

So yes, I kind of feel like a consumer champion.

BTW: You keep calling me childish for some reason and ask me to "grow the hell up". Spouting such accusations is rude. Can't we discuss things in an adult way?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:46:12 PM by Piru »

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Hmmm Amiga keyboards are really a mixed bag, but of all the Amiga keyboards I've tried (ie everything except A3000) I have to say A2000 and A1000 are joint first for quality and comfort.The A600/1200/500 are no better than $5 PC keyboards (but not as crap as the Atari ST/Falcon ones at the time so were better than the competition) and the A4000 ones are a bit better but so so. Not used an actual A3000 keyboard so can't comment.

However Commodore never told us who made them in the past, and the A1200 even had blank keys on the keyboard!

As for PC keyboards, there is one compact wireless keyboard from Packard Bell[end] that was sold with Athlon 2000XP ixtreme machines that feels remarkably similar to the A2000 keyboards I have amassed :) Shame you only see one of that specific model (light cyan and white) every 3 months on ebay. The have it in USB flavour too.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
I dont want butterfly keys but real Amiga keyboards never had boing ball keys.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;571610
In a sense that IMHO the customers deserve to know how much the customization costs: How much are you paying for the AmigaONE decal and the customized "windows" keys (oh and the much praised HELP key!).

Obviously there are people who will be more than willing to pay the difference.

I've always had a great interest on HW being sold to amiga users. For instance I am sure amigakit remembers my persistent questions about ZorRAM performance.

BTW: You keep calling me childish for some reason and ask me to "grow the hell up". Spouting such accusations is rude. Can't we discuss things in an adult way?

My first post yes, second post yes, third post no.  So "keep" is stretching it.

I apologise if you have been offended.  However, to me that is what it looked like.

You have not acknowledged my points re the relative size of amigakit and these frankly massive competitors you are comparing them to.

Is there no merit in this argument also?

I see you have edited your above post.  This is why I said "do what you do well".  ie Don't waste your efforts on a keyboard that everyone new was a base model anyway.

It is a keyboard.  A Cherry keyboard.  This means it will do it's job fairly well from my experience of Cherry keyboards in the past.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:36:50 PM by ajlwalker »

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;571611
Hmmm Amiga keyboards are really a mixed bag, but of all the Amiga keyboards I've tried (ie everything except A3000) I have to say A2000 and A1000 are joint first for quality and comfort.The A600/1200/500 are no better than $5 PC keyboards (but not as crap as the Atari ST/Falcon ones at the time so were better than the competition) and the A4000 ones are a bit better but so so. Not used an actual A3000 keyboard so can't comment.

However Commodore never told us who made them in the past, and the A1200 even had blank keys on the keyboard!

As for PC keyboards, there is one compact wireless keyboard from Packard Bell[end] that was sold with Athlon 2000XP ixtreme machines that feels remarkably similar to the A2000 keyboards I have amassed :) Shame you only see one of that specific model (light cyan and white) every 3 months on ebay. The have it in USB flavour too.

I believe Mitsumi made virtually all the Amiga keyboards.

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
Quote from: itix;571612
I dont want butterfly keys but real Amiga keyboards never had boing ball keys.

Didn't the very first ones have "Commodore keys" like the C64 had?

Then it was the italic A.  So no real consistency in the past either.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
Someone needs to rip off the bubble sticker on the keyboard when they're available and see if the original manufacturer keyboard name is silkscreened on there.

Gonna nitpick here but it looks like one of the keyboards you get in the flea market stalls in mainland china for $3usd.

Nicer keyboards are readily avaiable in any 3rd world countries as standard so there is no excuse when the retail on this is so high.

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;571613
You have not acknowledged my points re the relative size of amigakit and these frankly massive competitors you are comparing them to.

Is there no merit in this argument also?
Certainly. It would be unrealistic to expect such small scale operation to reach similar prices to these large outlets (the age old issue that affects X1000 price for instance).

The question remains though are the special decals and keycaps really worth the difference? And is it really a "Amiga keyboard" when it actually is a normal PC keyboard with some logos? Another thing I really hate is the rebranding. Eyetech did it, and so it seems does AmigaKit and A-Eon. Why is it necessary to hide the real origin of the devices sold?

I see you have edited your above post.
I do that often. I add links and more things I forgot when I wrote the post originally. Apologies if that causes any discomfort and/or confusion.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:59:18 PM by Piru »

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
Actually I don't know I just checked with amigakit and its 27$ US. Thats not too bad. Cheapo keyboards like that are sometimes like 20$ at wallmart. If they had it in white I'd probably buy one.

Steven

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 06:21:38 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;571618
Didn't the very first ones have "Commodore keys" like the C64 had?

Then it was the italic A.  So no real consistency in the past either.

The A1000s had red A's on the left and right.  I know there were some A500s that had C logo on the left and the A on the right.  But most the A500s I remember had two As .  But there are so many keyboards when you factor in all the different countries.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
Never seen a C= key on an Amiga keyboard, anyone got a link to a picture of one? Curious to see it now.

As people have said, just use your favourite keyboard. For me an Amiga has to be white, case or keyboard, not black. Nostalgia for you heh.

I liked the AmigaONE in the custom white Commodore Gaming PC case....should be on Youtube somewhere about why some guy still uses an Amiga with OS4 in this century or something.

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
Quote from: Piru;571621
Certainly. It would be unrealistic to expect such small scale operation to reach similar prices to these large outlets (the age old issue that affects X1000 price for instance).

The question remains though are the special decals and keycaps really worth the difference? And is it really a "Amiga keyboard" when it actually is a normal PC keyboard with some logos? Another thing I really hate is the rebranding. Eyetech did it, and so it seems does AmigaKit and A-Eon. Why is it necessary to hide the real origin of the devices sold?

I do that often. I add links and more things I forgot when I wrote the post originally. Apologies if that causes any discomfort and/or confusion.

How much do you think a new re-design from scratch will cost?  I fancy it will be lot more than £19.99 for the very small production runs we would have here.

It was pretty obvious for all to see that this is a rebranded PC keyboard.  It was discussed right back when the keyboard was announced.  The question perhaps should be, what was your motivation for "exposing" this now when it was a) already in the public domain and b) pretty obvious anyway?

My comment about your edit was merely to emphasise where my edit commenced.  No discomfort/confusion experienced.

Edit: I find some of your point of view puzzling.  I see this as no different to Dell, Apple et al branding what are effectively foxconn products as theirs.  Sure they may have had more design input that amigakit/A-eon, but amigakit/A-eon still have had some input with the different keycaps.

Also I might add, your post has just confirmed what I said earlier.  The photo shows that a license is being paid to Hyperion.  So we have:
- small reseller that you have admitted cannot compete with the big boys you linked to
- customised production run which will be small and so expensive
- license payment to Hyperion for logos etc

So Piru, in your opinion, what would be a reasonable mark-up for the above facts?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:17:56 PM by ajlwalker »

Offline tone007

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
I personally thought it was quite a feat, weeding through the hundreds or thousands of PC keyboards available and matching up the models.  How many keyboards did Piru have to look at?!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;571628
Never seen a C= key on an Amiga keyboard, anyone got a link to a picture of one? Curious to see it now.

As people have said, just use your favourite keyboard. For me an Amiga has to be white, case or keyboard, not black. Nostalgia for you heh.

I liked the AmigaONE in the custom white Commodore Gaming PC case....should be on Youtube somewhere about why some guy still uses an Amiga with OS4 in this century or something.

There is a picture of a least one in the following thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31893

The irony for Piru is that the A1000 keyboard was made by, yes, you guessed it Cherry.

You couldn't make it up.  Looks like the X1000 guys are being more true to the original A1000 than they thought.

Offline ajlwalker

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
The manufacturers datasheet can be found here:

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/pdf/Business_K-1_r1_Datasheet-LoRes.pdf

These keyboards are good for 10,000,000 key presses and have all the expected accreditations.

Also come with a manufacturers two year guarantee.

Not sure if this qualifies as "crappy".  Maybe not to someone's taste, but "crappy"?  I think that's going too far.