Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Access A1200 - Cool!  (Read 4570 times)

Description:

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
Re: maybe new boards
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 19, 2003, 09:36:14 AM »
Hmm, perhaps I'll build the laptop board instead... Just because no one else has even attempted it!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2003, 10:34:33 AM »
my access is now fully installed into my amigaone :) , and it works :=) , so i wont emulate for now :)....

bzzzt
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2003, 10:50:14 AM »
Heh, mine is out of the AmigaOne again, but at least it gets used every day now :-)

It got too hot in the tower with both machines in there. Will be a bit better now the temperature has gone down...
But I was thinking of building the Access into the computer desk itself. At the very least I'll add another shelf to the desk so I can have all the non-towered machines there. Or just invest in a larger place to live...

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2003, 01:02:05 PM »

ACE wrote:
Can anyone post some dimensions, this might be a better option than a CD32 for a laptop conversion.  Yes I'm still going on about that laptop!

It´s as wide as a 5,25" drivebay and 30cm long, i had the idea of making a laptop of one once.I should even have a saved e-mail somewhere about how much current it draws.
 It could be the smallest amigalaptop in history! With a videolcd and flashpccard to ide-adapter it could be great.
I say go for it!
Now i regret spending all that money on pcupgrading last month :-( :boohoo:
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dan

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:
Hmm, perhaps I'll build the laptop board instead... Just because no one else has even attempted it!

Why not a pda/small embedded board instead :-)

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2003, 01:19:02 PM »
I wanted one of these when I heard about them - way, way, way back then. They could have bunged em in a walker case :-D
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2003, 10:01:50 AM »

Dan wrote:
Why not a pda/small embedded board instead :-)

One word... POWER! I'd be doing well just to find compatable chips with low enough draw for a laptop.

I've been thinking about it and I think the best solution would be to build a replacement board for a common "old" laptop... Like an old Thinkpad or something. Much better than trying to reinvent the wheel  :-D
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline J

• Show only replies by J
Re: Access A1200 - Cool!
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2003, 10:33:39 AM »
I must have one of these!

Unfortunatly, we're in the process of buying our first house so I'd have to sneak it past the gf  :-)

and into my Full PC tower, networked to A1  :-D

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2003, 12:11:55 PM »
This was indeed before the Boxer. But it's a really interesting thing! :-)

Some questions:

I could find some serious use for this if I would be able to hook it up to a network, however it seems to be a little "unexpandable". So does it have A1200 style clockport(s)? What other networking options would there be?
Is there any way to use the ISA port, or is that only some 'dead weight'?
What Kickstart/Workbench version, and is that included?
Were there some other kind of software included, i.e. flash memory tools?
How compatible is the floppydrive to original Amiga disks?
Some webpages say it has a PS/2 style keyboard connector, other say Amiga (mini din), which one is it?
How compatible is it for old software and/or hardware hitting software, can most demos run on it?
What are the dimensions, especially, how deep is it (a little hard to make out from the pictures)? Do I need to cut a hole in the back of my tower? ;-)
Where did you get yours, what did you pay, and which model did you get?

Thanks ... :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Dan

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2003, 12:31:39 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:
This was indeed before the Boxer. But it's a really interesting thing! :-)

Some questions:

I could find some serious use for this if I would be able to hook it up to a network, however it seems to be a little "unexpandable". So does it have A1200 style clockport(s)? What other networking options would there be?
no clock port. realtimeclock on the board.

What Kickstart/Workbench version, and is that included?
3.1 don´t know if wbdisks is included
Were there some other kind of software included, i.e. flash memory tools?
My printout that was lying in the magazine with the article about it  states"CDFS in Flashrom" so there must have been utilities for the flashmem, if you can get them somewhere i don´t know.

Offline ACE

• Show only replies by ACE
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2003, 12:58:07 PM »
It may be less expandable, but it does have Ethernet, which gives it good network potential.

It is 30 cm deep which means it would definately get in the way of a PSU, so you would probably need the lower of 4 5 1/4'' drive bays to find space for it.

I'm torn between trying to get hold of one of these or a CD32.  The Ethernet might just swing it for me (although it is a bit longer and may not fit the laptop case I had planned!)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2003, 01:22:41 PM »
@ ACE

AFAIK, there is no ethernet on the board? On no specifications/pictures on the net I see this mentioned/shown. However, I do recall reading about that it would be possible to use an ISA ethernet card for networking, but then you get the problems of getting the ISA port to work, as Iggy_Drougge wrote earlier: "According to one of the contemporary UK rags, you could run an ISA network card off it. Some sites which used the Access for kiosks allegedly updated all their systems via ethernet. The only question is where to get the drivers.". And then you will have to actually find an ISA ethernet card today, preferrably also a riser card to get it in a horizontal position ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)