Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No CD-ROM Icon Appearing WB 3.1  (Read 2838 times)

Description:

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
Re: No CD-ROM Icon Appearing WB 3.1
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »

hamtronix wrote:
No GVPSCISI.DEVICE existed in DEVS:

It is in the ROM on the SCSI card. It gets loaded into RAM on boot.

Open a CLI window and type "version gvpscsi.device" and it will tell you what ROM version you have.

Offline hamtronixTopic starter

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »

alexh wrote:

hamtronix wrote:
No GVPSCISI.DEVICE existed in DEVS:

It is in the ROM on the SCSI card. It gets loaded into RAM on boot.

Open a CLI window and type "version gvpscsi.device" and it will tell you what ROM version you have.

Thanks! I was wondering where the heck it was.

It is version 4.5

CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline alexh

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »

hamtronix wrote:
Still trying to get this fixed:

Another question - After I boot up and then warm reset and then hold both mouse buttons down to get to the pre-boot selection screen should I see CD0: listed in the choose boot device screen

I am almost sure the answer is no.

Kickstart doesnt support booting from CDROM.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 04:31:18 PM »
Delete whatever it was you copied to Devs:. Download and extract the GVP SCSI 4.15 BindDrivers driver from Ralph Babel's site and put it and any associated .info file in SYS:Expansion.

alexh is correct in that CD0 will never show up in the early boot menu.

Offline Dopuser

• Show only replies by Dopuser
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »
Just for the record: have you modified your CD0: mountlist with gvpscsi.device ?

Offline alexh

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »
I fear that if you use "bind drivers" you will loose the ability to boot from your hard drive.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 04:42:32 PM »
@ alexh

Hmmmm.... Well, the old 4.5 ROM driver would start the boot process and 4.15 wouldn't get kicked in until the startup-sequence hit BindDrivers. I don't know if that would cause a problem. I'll check a GVP manual later.

EDIT: Oops, yeah, right there on the site:
To use the BindDrivers driver, you have to disable the ROM driver first.

@ hamtronix

Looks like you'll need 4.15 in ROM. These have been popping up on eBay a lot lately. Keep your eyes peeled.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 06:22:06 PM »

Matt_H wrote:
@ alexh

Hmmmm.... Well, the old 4.5 ROM driver would start the boot process and 4.15 wouldn't get kicked in until the startup-sequence hit BindDrivers. I don't know if that would cause a problem. I'll check a GVP manual later.

EDIT: Oops, yeah, right there on the site:
To use the BindDrivers driver, you have to disable the ROM driver first.

@ hamtronix

Looks like you'll need 4.15 in ROM. These have been popping up on eBay a lot lately. Keep your eyes peeled.

That seems like a downgrade, shouldnt 4.5 be better than 4.15?
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 06:38:15 PM »

hamtronix wrote:

Nope. Version numbers aren't decimals, it's ., so revision 15 is newer than revision 5.
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 06:49:22 PM »

Doobrey wrote:

hamtronix wrote:

Nope. Version numbers aren't decimals, it's ., so revision 15 is newer than revision 5.

Ahh, thats good to know.

Can anyone explain why the CDROM will show up fine and mounted in any program that polls it yet the system wont recognize a valid CD when its in the drive?

I can see the card polling the device as well every 3 seconds so it must be getting something from the hardware. It also yells at me at reboot if I disconnect the drive so it knows that the actual hardware exists. This is the most confusing thing for me. if it didnt see the drive at all that would be one thing but this is strange to me.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »

hamtronix wrote:

Can anyone explain why the CDROM will show up fine and mounted in any program that polls it yet the system wont recognize a valid CD when its in the drive?

I can see the card polling the device as well every 3 seconds so it must be getting something from the hardware. It also yells at me at reboot if I disconnect the drive so it knows that the actual hardware exists. This is the most confusing thing for me. if it didnt see the drive at all that would be one thing but this is strange to me.

Try a little AmigaDOS trick: with a CD on the device, open a shell and type:

"DiskChange CD0:"

Then quit the CLI. The Icon appears suddenly on WB screen?
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline wlemonds

• Show only replies by wlemonds
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »
Hmm, are you able to read the CD on another computer? And, have you tried putting any other CD in the drive, like music CDs or game CDs?

I had an opposite problem where WB 3.1 by itself wouldn't show a disc in the drive. Only after installing AsimCDFS did it show up. I remember this happening years ago on my GVP 030 combo board and it recently did it with my Tek060 board. And I had made sure all my settings in CD0: were correct.
A500 PAL ACA500 Plus/Gotek
A1200 060/66 Tower/Mediator
A2000 Vampire/4XEIDE\'99/MNT 2000/Ariadne II+
A3000 040/40
A4000 Tekmagic 060/50
X5000/20

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »

rkauer wrote:

hamtronix wrote:

Try a little AmigaDOS trick: with a CD on the device, open a shell and type:

"DiskChange CD0:"

Then quit the CLI. The Icon appears suddenly on WB screen?

Nope no icon.... thanks for the tip though, that may help later on.

Is there an alternative CD file system (preferably PD) that I can use to test the software side?

I am not tied to Asim , although it appears like a nice program. And I still would like an explanation about how it sees the drive but doesnt recognize CDs.

Also, the CD icon should be visible no matter if a CD is in or not correct? Or would it just pop up when media is inserted?

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »

alexh wrote:

hamtronix wrote:
Still trying to get this fixed:

Another question - After I boot up and then warm reset and then hold both mouse buttons down to get to the pre-boot selection screen should I see CD0: listed in the choose boot device screen

I am almost sure the answer is no.

Kickstart doesnt support booting from CDROM.

I can't say for your specific hardware configuration, hamtronix, but both A500 and A500+ can boot directly from CD if an A570 CD drive is fitted on the side expansion slot. The CD drive does include additional firmware though (essentially an A590 hard drive controller, I believe), so the Kickstart gets an upgrade at the same time.
:)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »
@ hamtronix

If the problem is with gvpscsi.device, changing your CDFS probably won't help. I stopped using Asim many years ago, but I recently reinstalled it on a secondary machine and now I'm wondering why I ever got rid of it. Its direct access to files, audio tracks, and raw blocks are a unique all-in-one feature that I believe is worth holding onto.

That being said, AmiCDFS is a freeware alternative. See Aminet.

Try upgrading gvpscsi and Asim to the latest versions before you throw in the towel.

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 03, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »

Matt_H wrote:
@ hamtronix

Try upgrading gvpscsi and Asim to the latest versions before you throw in the towel.

Oh there will be no towel throwing! I am not going to copy every thing over by floppy... And I got the amiga to cause me problems since my life is way to easy apparently...

So does anyone have or know of anyone that has the 4.15 ROM for GVP SCSI? I guess I should post on marketplace too.

Yes, Asim seems to be a very nice package so if its one of the best Id rather keep it. and I have the manual and serial numbers registration cards... are those good anymore? ;)