Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux/Windows flame wars  (Read 6667 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
Re: Linux/Windows flame wars
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
There are Windows fanboys. They are people who don't care about computers and expect computers to act in a certain way.

For example my girlfriend Dannelle choosing not to use the available Apple Imacs at the university library and instead choosing a Dell pc with Windows xp. She did this because she wanted to use a 'normal' computer.
These are the Windows fanboys/girls.  
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
Quote from: tone007;593653
That's not being a fanboy, that's using what you're familiar with because it's the quickest way to get something done.

LOL. I guess what i was trying to say was that the definition for a fanboy of Windows would be different for everything else such as Apple, Linux, Amiga etc. Windows is a generic product whereas the others are not.

I think it's possible to be a fanboy of Windows but the definition of it would different from the others. At least that's how i see it.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:57 AM »
Did you just call me an arsehole? LOL

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:26 AM »
I know why Linux hasn't gained mainstream popularity with the normal consumer. And i know why it never will.

It's because it doesn't cost anything. People associate a higher cost to higher quality. Because Windows 7 Ultimate has a price tag of A$268 the normal consumer will identify this as superior in quality than, say, Linux which is completely free.

Also lack of advertising from a major corporation like Microsoft means Linux has no awareness to the normal consumer.

Basic micro-economics    

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;593751
There's also the simple fact that most people who actually make a living coding for and contributing to Linux aren't in it for the desktop market.
It's all kind of moot anyway.  I don't think the consumer desktop PC is long for this world.

I disagree. There will always be desktop pcs. They are as cheap as hell and i can't think of anything that is cheaper. As long as they are the cheapest form of pc they will exist.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:22:04 PM »
I disagree that the desktop PC is almost finished. The cost of manufacturing is cheaper. If you look at tablets or smart phones they will cost more because they are small and when you make computers small and compact it costs more to manufacture.

If you look at the mac mini you would probably say they were over priced but in my opinion that is only half right. When you build small the cost goes up whereas the desktop PC doesn't have to worry about that so they stay cheap. As long as desktop PCs are cheaper to manufacture they will always be prominent.

That's also my opinion about all in one PCs. I saw an Acer all in one that was priced double its worth. Admittedly it had a touch screen but still. Same with the imac - A PC compacted into a small form forces the price up.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
That kid on that computer setup is priceless   :)

I don't know why but it reminds me of playdough  :rolleyes: