Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga, Inc: Close That Open Hardware!  (Read 14838 times)

Description:

Re: Amiga, Inc: Close That Open Hardware!
« Reply #239 from previous page: January 13, 2003, 05:46:39 AM »
I'd just like to say i for one dont 'worship' any of these companies...and when Genesi does something stupid I'll come down on them... I have pointed out stupid things they have done in the past...and I will in the future... but this grouping all non-believers into one group as MOS users is pretty pathetic...

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2003, 07:34:56 AM »
"I can't say whether Dave_P is lying when he says that Genesi told him they would not allow MorphOS to be unbundle or not. "

No you can't, and this convoluted means of inferring that I might have is a mite offensive. There is even circumstantial evidence backing up my point of view on ANN, here etc.

I suggest that you get into the unenviable position of trying to negotiate with both Amiga Inc and Genesi  (then BPlan ) and find out for yourself, or do the simpler option of searching the web.

I am sure that if you ask the cheerleader squad politely they might even let you in on correspondance which also verifies it.

However, it is a reasonably well understood position on MorphOS bundling and I am sure that if Amiga Inc werent on the other side of the negotiation the contents of the bundle would be negotiable.

Unfortunately Genesi seem to think of AmigaOS4 on Pegasos as a big threat at the moment, knowing full well that providing a board for porting whilst still tying prospective licensees up in knots makes absorbing the cost of the port by a third party a significant risk.

"Genesi has not made clear their licensing terms."
Strange how they don't go public on this when they make significant public statements on everything else. I suggest you go look at the "Drunken reposting of Fleecys email" episode to see SOME public statements on the matter.

However, what you COULD do, if you believe I am a liar or if you believe that Genesi might actually change their minds would be to persaude them to make public their terms and conditions for resellers of the Pegasos bundle.

What I think you fail to realise is that Pegasos and MorphOS is a single, unseperable commodity for all intents and purposes.

In fact you could do similar to myself and call them up and ask them if you can order a large shipment of Pegasos without MorphOS so that you can resell them with AmigaOS4.

Go on, do it!
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2003, 07:36:57 AM »

mips_proc wrote:
I'd just like to say i for one dont 'worship' any of these companies...and when Genesi does something stupid I'll come down on them... I have pointed out stupid things they have done in the past...and I will in the future... but this grouping all non-believers into one group as MOS users is pretty pathetic...

Way to go mips, and the converse is true as well.

This thread is probably going to get locked now anyway!
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Damion

« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2003, 08:37:49 AM »
@ShadesofGrey

Um, yes, the G-REXX and Pegasos are different from
the OS4 dongle, the G-REXX is a PCI solution for
the old A1200, and the Pegasos is a PPC board, while
the OS4 dongle is just that...why some people have to
continually contrive these theories to support their
weak arguments :-P is beyond me...to say that some
contrived 'protection in itself' is somehow the
same as a REAL, ACTUAL, EXISTING dongle
(by this I mean physical, 'real') is completely
baffling.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how somebody
could say this, but it's like saying that a
dog and a chicken are the exact same because
they both have heads...

And I'm not supporting either 'side' here, I'm
just pointing out an inaccurate comparison, IMO.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2003, 12:19:30 PM »
I already told you the REAL case... They CAN sell
OS4 with Pegasos and preinstall it, as long as
MorphOS is also in the package. If OS4 is preinstalled
MorphOS must also be preinstalled.
They don't restrict anything else. Amiga Inc on the
other hand didn't want OS4 to be WITH MorphOS.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.