Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 Mouse not working - stuck on "stopwatch" icon  (Read 526 times)

Description:

Offline barneyTopic starter

• Show only replies by barney
Amiga 2000 Mouse not working - stuck on "stopwatch" icon
« on: May 08, 2022, 11:18:46 PM »
Hello, I have a problem somebody here may be able to help with.  I have an Amiga 2000 that after power up, shows that the mouse icon is always busy.  It never shows the pointer only the stopwatch icon.  Mouse works fine, buttons work fine but the stopwatch icon is always there and I can't open the various drives.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:45:49 AM by barney »

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga 2000 Mouse not working - stuck on "stopwatch" icon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 01:59:22 AM »
Not many details there, HD? floppy only? Unplug all else and se if it finishes "busy", that's the pointer you see. It maybe trying to verify a corrupt HD or floppy. but with nothing else attached you should see the "Insert disk" screen right away.

Chris

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 02:06:40 AM »
Did you add anything to your WBStartup drawer recently? This can happen if there's an icon in WBStartup that doesn't have the tooltype DONOTWAIT.

Could also be something in s:user-startup or a device no longer attached to the system. Bottom line, there's something being run at boot time that's hanging.

Offline barneyTopic starter

• Show only replies by barney
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 04:48:13 AM »
No, nothing was added to my WEStartup drawer in years.  It is fully loaded.  GVP Accelerator/SCSI card, SD Reader/writer, Floppy, HD and CD Rom. Nothing was changed at all.  One day, I turned it on and the mouse would not work at all. 

Today, I swapped out the CDROM becuase the door keep opening and closing repeatedly.  After swapping it out, the mouse came back but all the Drives and drawers don't open.  The mouse just remains as as if busy (displaying stopwatch icon).

Quiksanz has a good idea.  I will put a jumper on the accelerator and disable the scsi and see what happens.  It may definitely be a bad HD.  That puppy is pretty old.

Also, no new peripherals were added or removed, so something currently installed went bad.  Either a chip or HD, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:49:55 AM by barney »