Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why so hard to configure cd-rom  (Read 2381 times)

Description:

Offline David WrightTopic starter

Why so hard to configure cd-rom
« on: January 06, 2022, 10:46:07 PM »
Okay, fixed other issues with much help here, now further torture adding a cd-rom (Dvd more precisely) to Amiga 4000
I have two older dvd drives from pc, so they are Ide.
I have CF card for boot and slave for dvd.
Downloaded Idefix 97, installed on my 3.2 setup\

Scan from Idefix software finds drive but nothing shows up on desktop or in DirOpus.
What other things should I be doing.

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Re: Why so hard to configure cd-rom
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:04 PM »
when you have selected the drive did you mount it?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline utri007

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
Not to use IdeIx97 ? :D Use this instead http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/AtapiMagic
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline utri007

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »
OK read you post again. You have only two devices. You don't need IdeFix or AtapiMagic. Installin IdeFIx only harms you purpose!

There is a CD0 in System:Strorage/Dosdrivers. Double click it with mouse. Does DVD drive work now? If so copy CD0 to System:Devs/Dosdrivers.

If not open it and check what is uses device and CD-filesystem. That information could also be in icon file, so check Icon information from Menu.

If you are using Amiga 4000 internal IDE device driver is scsi.device, CD-filesystem should be L:cdfilesystem or L:cachcdfs, which one depends what you have in System:L/ draver.

ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 04:38:52 PM »
With 3.2, the only thing you need to do to get a CD drive working is to adjust the tooltypes on SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/CD0. For an A4000 with plain IDE it will be scsi.device and unit 1. Drag CD0 into SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers, reboot, and you’re done.

IDEFix is only for 3.1 (and older?). All newer OSes incorporate its functionality.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:40:01 PM by Matt_H »

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:19:13 PM »
Going with suggestion of looking at cd0 icon information I noticed it was set to device 2 , changed to 1 and now it works well.
Thanks for the help.

Only additional issue is connecting to two device Ide cable. I have the CF card boot drive set up on the back plate of Amiga for exterior access. I even bought a 24" cable but the two connectors needed are too close for me to connect MB connector and CD connector. Needs to be further apart for me to use all unless I take drive off back plate and put near other drives. Can a small extender be put on one connector to give the few inches needed if something like that even exists?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 02:57:02 PM »
Can a small extender be put on one connector to give the few inches needed if something like that even exists?
Yes it can!  :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 03:59:40 PM by David Wright »

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 05:08:53 PM »
Probably. This is a simple cable, no electronic circuitry so should extend no problem.

With the onboard IDE there is a max cable length without using a buffered adapter. I have three IDE devices and my Amiga hangs if the SD card adapter is on the second connector, furthest from the mobo. My total cable length is about 40 cm (complete estimate). 10cm from mobo to IDE adapter and up to 30cm to the drives

Update: sorry, I reread and see you gave an A4000. I think the IDE interface is buffered so you can use longer cables.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:18:51 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline Malakie

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show only replies by Malakie
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
Odd that the ONLY thing that worked to me was to use the setup from IDEFix97 on my A1200 I am restoring.  Tried AtapiMagic, tried AmiCDFS and just a plain old mountlist for CD0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on.  I have three different brand CD rom drives that work.    If I use IDEFix, they all work just fine, any other method the system 'sees' the hardware and I can pull up the device ID and information, even open and close the trays, but will not put icons on the Workbench under 3.2 for some reason nor can I access them via CLI or other means.

*Forgot to mention, I have tried using the IDE connection and now am using the Blizzard PPC connection.  Using IDE, I use SCSI.device.  Using SCIS, I am using Blizzppc.device.   BOTH exhibit same issues with all three drives but they work on other systems under different OS versions so I know drives are fine.. just missing something I take it with 3.2 and the differences.

The other issue I am still trying to figure out as well, is why internal CD drives will not open the tray properly every time.  Sometimes it acts like it is stuck closed with a clicking sound, cycles a few times and then sometimes finally opens, most of the time does not.  I can open all three drives manually using the pinhole but obviously that is not what I want to do.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:27:15 PM by Malakie »
Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 10:50:35 PM »
Odd that the ONLY thing that worked to me was to use the setup from IDEFix97 on my A1200 I am restoring.  Tried AtapiMagic, tried AmiCDFS and just a plain old mountlist for CD0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on.  I have three different brand CD rom drives that work.    If I use IDEFix, they all work just fine, any other method the system 'sees' the hardware and I can pull up the device ID and information, even open and close the trays, but will not put icons on the Workbench under 3.2 for some reason nor can I access them via CLI or other means.

*Forgot to mention, I have tried using the IDE connection and now am using the Blizzard PPC connection.  Using IDE, I use SCSI.device.  Using SCIS, I am using Blizzppc.device.   BOTH exhibit same issues with all three drives but they work on other systems under different OS versions so I know drives are fine.. just missing something I take it with 3.2 and the differences.
I don't know what happened that it ended up being so complicated. I think there's a lot of old, obsolete information out there about setting up a CD drive on the Amiga and applying that advice on newer OS versions can break things. With 3.2, no additional software needs to be installed unless you have a 4-way IDE splitter.

The other issue I am still trying to figure out as well, is why internal CD drives will not open the tray properly every time.  Sometimes it acts like it is stuck closed with a clicking sound, cycles a few times and then sometimes finally opens, most of the time does not.  I can open all three drives manually using the pinhole but obviously that is not what I want to do.

This one is simple: the CD drive mechanics are broken. I have this problem on one of my drives. Just started happening one day. A component wore out. It's annoying, but I haven't bothered to install a replacement drive.

Offline Malakie

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show only replies by Malakie
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 11:34:42 PM »

I don't know what happened that it ended up being so complicated. I think there's a lot of old, obsolete information out there about setting up a CD drive on the Amiga and applying that advice on newer OS versions can break things. With 3.2, no additional software needs to be installed unless you have a 4-way IDE splitter.

This one is simple: the CD drive mechanics are broken. I have this problem on one of my drives. Just started happening one day. A component wore out. It's annoying, but I haven't bothered to install a replacement drive.

As I said, I have tried just plugging it in on WB3.2 and HDToolbox does not even find it let alone place an icon on WB.    Second, this is also the case trying it with those other tools I mentioned EXCEPT for IDEFIX for some reason.

Next, as I also said, I have three drives ALL work perfectly on all other Amiga's that do not run 3.2 rather are 1.3, 2.04 or 3.9.  But besides that, one of these drives is an external panasonic drive with a manual flip up door that can also run on batteries as it is portable.   That drive ALSO is found just fine but does not place Icons on the WB, just like the other two.  This one happens to be on SCSI.   One of the other drives is IDE and the 3rd is also a SCSI internal style.

If I plug these back into any of the other Amiga's, they operate without a problem.  The irony of all this is that I moved from an A2000 attempting to get HD's working right under the latest 3.2 and was not able so I gave up and decided I would try all over again on an A1200.  Now I get the HD's working fine but the moment I plug in a CD drive, again EITHER IDE or SCSI, the system is not placing Icons on the WB.. and before you ask, this is a clean install from original CD to the HD, which I had to do on another machine.

Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 02:14:41 AM »
As I said, I have tried just plugging it in on WB3.2 and HDToolbox does not even find it let alone place an icon on WB.    Second, this is also the case trying it with those other tools I mentioned EXCEPT for IDEFIX for some reason.

Next, as I also said, I have three drives ALL work perfectly on all other Amiga's that do not run 3.2 rather are 1.3, 2.04 or 3.9.  But besides that, one of these drives is an external panasonic drive with a manual flip up door that can also run on batteries as it is portable.   That drive ALSO is found just fine but does not place Icons on the WB, just like the other two.  This one happens to be on SCSI.   One of the other drives is IDE and the 3rd is also a SCSI internal style.

If I plug these back into any of the other Amiga's, they operate without a problem.  The irony of all this is that I moved from an A2000 attempting to get HD's working right under the latest 3.2 and was not able so I gave up and decided I would try all over again on an A1200.  Now I get the HD's working fine but the moment I plug in a CD drive, again EITHER IDE or SCSI, the system is not placing Icons on the WB.. and before you ask, this is a clean install from original CD to the HD, which I had to do on another machine.

I said there's no other software that needs to be installed, but there is software configuration that has to be done. ;)

From my first post in this thread:
With 3.2, the only thing you need to do to get a CD drive working is to adjust the tooltypes on SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/CD0. For an A4000 with plain IDE it will be scsi.device and unit 1. Drag CD0 into SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers, reboot, and you’re done.

On a 1200, assuming the hard drive is master/unit 0 and the CD drive is slave/unit 1, the config will be the same.