Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odamex for AmigaOS?!?  (Read 2190 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Odamex for AmigaOS?!?
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
That page is to do with libminiupnpc, not specifically Odamex. If I recall correctly that lib itself compiles without any problems, but there's another trickier (gui related if memory serves me correctly) dependency that is a problem.

Been a while since I tried it, but Im pretty sure it was some gui related code/lib rather than the Odamex engine itself that made me put it aside. I may be mistaken, but I think the problematic dependancy of Odamex is the same reason even PRBoom+ doesnt exist for any amiga derived systems.

edit: damn you XDelusion. Between this and your thread on aros-exec Im starting to get the doom modding bug again  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:25:40 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:40:55 AM »
Nah, that's what Im saying. The amiga os references there may not even have anything to do with Odamex. It seems more likely that its to do with libminiupnpc, which is used elsewhere too (networking based lib).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
I dont know for sure, so there's still hope :) If I was a gambling man though I would put my money on the amiga os references being to do with libminiupnpc, perhaps placed by people in amiga land having used it for something rather than key Odamex devvers.

Just a guess though, and Id be happy to be wrong.

Backtracking slightly to the Doom modding, could be fun to do an amiga game based mod using something like Boom (cos of it being the lowest enhanced common denominator available for all amiga based systems.systems). An AB3d based mod could be cool. I know there's one being worked on for quake, but the quake engine doesnt feel quite right for ab3d in my opinion. Doom seems a better fit, even if it does lack a few features of ab3d2.

Speaking of Doom, this was a pleasant surprise while browsing aros-exec:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/AROS/AROSx86_64-2012-05-16-00-18-01.png
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:06:10 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
I was probably taking my hobbies a bit too seriously for a while there so was pretty offput by the whole "NG" Amiga scene :) Point being I hadnt touched AROS or PRBoom for ages. It was only opengl rendering that I was having a problem with last I tried though. Something seemed a bit broken when using gl with sdl on aros at the time. Ive *finally* got my computer issues sorted and have got my amithlon and aros machines back up and running so I'll have a look tonight. Still have the (slightly) modified sources so I just need to compile it.
An ab3d mod using opengl sounds fun actually :)