Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How about an A1200 instead? :)  (Read 1315 times)

Description:

Offline Korodny

• Show all replies
Re: How about an A1200 instead? :)
« on: November 08, 2002, 02:02:57 PM »
@MacMiga:

HARD DISK

I never heard about overheating problems, and I know a lot of guys who run 1-4 gig HD inside their A1200.

Keep in mind that the A1200's IDE port is not very fast though.

CD-ROM - I have a SCSI external from my Mac side of things. Is it easy to get a CD drive working on an old Amiga?

Yes. The CD file system included with OS 3.1 is crap though. Better upgrade to 3.9 or use a third party CDFS.

anarchic_teapot says the PCMCIA Squirrel card can cause unstable OS type problems. Any thoughts?

Squirrel is crap (by today's standards). Very slow - and you will want to use the PCMCIA port for a NIC anyway.

Any other SCSI options for the A1200?

Get a accellerator card with SCSI onboard (see below)

HI-RES GFX

That's your biggest problem. Unless you want to put the whole computer in a tower case and either use a PCI bus board or a BlizzPPC/BlizzVision combo, you don't have access to a gfx card (not: the BPPC/Bvision will *not* work in a desktop case).

Your best option would be to get a scandoubler+flickerfixer. This will give you 640x512 with 256 colors (but you should restrict yourself to 64-128 colors, 256 is way to slow) on any standard VGA monitor.

FASTER CPU

Either get a Blizzard 1230 or a Blizzard 1260: Brilliant hardware. Don't forget to get the accompanying SCSI module.

1230: barely enough horsepower to run current apps (modern games, WWW, graphics stuff etc.), but good for some retro fun.
1260: All the power you need (AmigaOS is a lot faster than MacOS)

AMIGA OS 3.9

You should have a 68030 at least. GFX card is highly recommended, but it will work with AGA.

NETWORKING

Yes, get a PCMCIA NIC. Forget about the squirrel, better get an accellerator with a SCSI module (it's probably ten times faster *without* eating much CPU power (like the squirrel)).